Mazdaspeed6 Clutch Fix TSB

MS6S2K said:
I called my dealership regarding this TSB, and immediately I got the run around about how this is a performance clutch and it's supposed to be like this, and hard to drive yada yada. They told me they'll take a look at it and determine whether or not they will perform it. She told me that even though it's a TSB, they will still have to determine something is wrong, which me sounds like a total runaround. I bickered with her about it, and I didn't like the vibe. I realize that they are not obligated to perform this, and they are excersising that right.

My main concern about this is the fact that I am getting the clutch stink, and she told me the clutch is only warranted for 12 months 12k miles, and it seems to me that this clutch isn't gonna survive to even 50k miles at this point. She then said that how they've sold many of Speed 6 cars, and I am the first to call and complain. I'm taking it in for service, and they are gonna check it out, but I'm not very optimistic. I might end up having to try another dealership. What a pain. I've gotten used to this clutch, but I'd still like it to be easier, but apparently this dealership doesn't look at that as being a reason to perform the TSB. People on here aren't having any problems from what I've read getting this done, but with my luck, I instantly got a problem. It's being taken in on thursday for inspection and the power recall, so I'll know more then. Damn Mazda. They better fix this!!!!

Am I the only guy having a problem with this here? If they refuse to do this like they have so far, s*** is gonna hit the fan. GRRRRR

MS6S2K said:
Am I the only guy having a problem with this here? If they refuse to do this like they have so far, s*** is gonna hit the fan. GRRRRR
No, you are not the only one. I was at my dealership today for diagnose. They agreed that my clutch works just like TSB describes, but I have 15k miles and over 12 months (according to 12k miles/12 months warranty for clutch) so they have to follow up with Mazda USA for approval :( Service manager agreed that my car qualifies (by VIN and the way clutch works), but somebody will have to pay for that. I hope they will get approval from Mazda and do this TSB fix. This is my first Mazda and I hope not the last one. Just like people say - first car is sold by salesman, every other by service.
Is anybody here that got TSB fix done after 12 months/12k miles?

koes said:
No, you are not the only one. I was at my dealership today for diagnose. They agreed that my clutch works just like TSB describes, but I have 15k miles and over 12 months (according to 12k miles/12 months warranty for clutch) so they have to follow up with Mazda USA for approval :( Service manager agreed that my car qualifies (by VIN and the way clutch works), but somebody will have to pay for that. I hope they will get approval from Mazda and do this TSB fix. This is my first Mazda and I hope not the last one. Just like people say - first car is sold by salesman, every other by service.
Is anybody here that got TSB fix done after 12 months/12k miles?

Well, I am having problems getting this TSB done before 12 months/12K miles, so I can only imagine there had to be other people having this problem. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's under one year (11 months 7500 miles) to be having trouble getting dealership to do it? I'm likely donna be denied. Grrr!!!

I got my car back yesterday with the TSB clutch fix. I am very happy with the results. As everyone has said, the clutch engages better, doesn't "jump" as much when taking off in first gear, it is simply great. This is a must for anyone with a MS6.

ok so an update, clutch was perfect before. now with 120 miles on it and there is a big ass problem. letting out the clutch very slowly results in a massive amount of clutch chatter. i'm willing to bet mazda never resurfaced my damn stock flywheel. and the chatter is crazy, when it happens it sounds the same as when axles start clicking around turns lol. so either they never resurfaced the flywheel or there's possibly something wrong with the mounts. either way it's being towed back up to the dealership monday morning...damn

I dont think you can resurface the speed6 flywheel. Its either use the old one or order a new one and that is up to the dealers discretion.

RevLimitLaunch said:
why would you say that lol? never heard of that

Your the one who got the new clutch, did you ask your dealer what they were going to do with the flywheel(resurface, replace)when you got it done? Well I will quote the mazdaspeed6 workshop manual for you.

"do not rework the flywheel if it is distorted".. "inspect the flywheel-1. Surface that contacts the clutch disk for scratches, nicks, and discoloration. 2.cracks 3.worn gear teeth 4. chipped or cracked ring gear teeth. If there is any malfunction, replace the flywheel." Now you heard of it, I cant post the link to the other forum on the site to let you see the post of a bunch of peeps who had this done and the dealer would only replace the fly wheel not resurface it. Just go as ask your dealer

Last edited:
eh i guess your right, my bad, its cool, seems you have a sort of attitude but its alright lol. anyway, car's back up to mazda i even had mazda roadside assistance tow it up there from my house, and at first they wouldn't do it because 1. its not my nearest mazda (bunch of lame asses that make up excuses with every problem) and 2. its not within 15 miles, but i called customer service and they set it up no problem for me....now just waiting on the dealer's call to tell me whats up....

lol its cool, haven't gotten a call back today unfortunately. but i told them to take all the time in the world (no license) and make sure it's perfect this time.

if this has been said then I apologize but feel that it is being missed. TSB are not really supposed to be viewed by customers. So the last thing you do is go into the dealer saying there is one for your car!! All you do is study the symptoms and then tell that to the dealer. They will do what they have to from there if you make the complaint. You will get farther playing stupid with a dealer than being a know it all!! (smash) (hand)

eh they acknowledged it for me. and an update to the clunking/clicking/chatter sound of mine. the dealer couldnt reproduce the sound so i hada to go there and drive it, sure enough i got it to do it. garage foreman said he thinks its just an exhaust rattle....hopefully it is but it was only doing it when it fully warmed up...waiting for more info.

I dropped my 06 speed6 off at the dealer this morning for the clutch fix/replacement. Mine was type A so the dealer says it will be at least 2 days to complete the job. I'll post the results in a couple days.

I just got a confirmation from my dealer that they ordered parts and they will do my clutch as soon as they get them. My car is Type A, but I haven't asked yet how long it will take them to do the job. I will keep you posted.

After being refused twice to have this TSB done, the dealership finally agreed to do it, so the parts are coming in Tuesday, and my car should be done Friday. I'm Type A as well. Can't wait to get car back. I'm stuck driving this lame ass Chevy Cobalt. ;)

I just got a new (right off the boat) 2007 speed 6 and my guess is that all the problems addressed by this TSB have already been taken care off.

Can someone who had this repair done to his/her car let me know whether after the repair the clutch still engageges too high but the pedal is lighter or whether this service fixes both problems?

Thanks.

2007 models don't have the faulty clutch. Anyone and everyone who has driven a faulty 2006 side by side with a 2007 has claimed the 2007 is fixed.

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, I moved from a 6spd RX-8 into MS6 and immediately noticed the clutch engaged too high. Shifting from 1st into 2nd is not smooth, unless I really pace myself and try to be extra smooth in my shifting. Shifting between higher gears is not a problem at all and the pedal does not feel heavy.

Is is possible that the TSB includes a clutch pedal adjustment (similar to what's in the how-to section)?

Last edited:
Hi i've been browsing these forums every since i got my 06 mazdaspeed6 gt in early feb and i just had a quick question. I just recently brought my speed 6 for its 3k oil change and i metioned to them i had a faulty clutch and asked them if i could get the tsb done on my car. They took my car to see if it applied to the tsb. When they returned they said they would do the tsb for me but stressed the fact that the clutch was normal and changing the clutch wouldn't help and in fact make it worse. My question is...if i were to get the tsb done could it possibly make the clutch worse? My car is realatively new and i dont want to do anything i would regret.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back