Mazdaspeed Protege Projector Headlights

The stage 3 kit is very tempting. I might go with that. The VIP projectors look really sexy though. Doesnt the morimoto kit come with 2 diff bulbs one for high and one low since our cars use the same bulb for both. Or does the h4 adapter fix that?

Doesnt the morimoto kit come with 2 diff bulbs one for high and one low since our cars use the same bulb for both. Or does the h4 adapter fix that?

Nope. That would never fit. The bulb is at it's full brightness the entire time, there is a "cut-off shield" run by a solenoid that can open and close allowing more or less light in.
So when you need brights, the solenoid will open and drop a shield allowing for more light to pass through.

So then what you're saying is the kit comes with hi/low on the same bulb

yes, but the bulb doesn't move. there is a "shield" between the bulb and the projector lens. this "shield" creates the cutoff, and when you want high beams, the "shield" moves out of the way.

i've used mulitple ebay depo headlights for retrofits with no issues, but i do HIGHLY recommend using new butyle sealant when you put them back together (I do)

and here's a short clip from TheRetrofitSource on how the bixenon projector works

So then what you're saying is the kit comes with hi/low on the same bulb

No. The bulb is always at one brightness. The bulb does not have different light settings. What I'm saying is the projector housing controls the high and low with a moving shield.

any body have the p5s done i wanna keep my stock headlights. but are the projectors to big to fit in them.

2088 msp do you think your setup would fit in p5 headlights cuz thats what i want

Anyone tried vinyl wrapping the headlight housings? Is it me or do the e55 shrouds look beefier than the bullets? I've only seen one pic of the bullets (Rico's) and they seem to not look as big/thick as the e55

i've used mulitple ebay depo headlights for retrofits with no issues, but i do HIGHLY recommend using new butyle sealant when you put them back together (I do)

and here's a short clip from TheRetrofitSource on how the bixenon projector works

I cant get my highs to work for s***.

which wiring harness do you have? If it's an older one (and from TRS) it may need repinning.

On the miata set of lights i did, the 3 pins on the headlight connector needed switched around and then the highs worked.

as to the shrouds, yes, the E55's are bigger and fill in the headlight more, which is what i prefer. I personally think the E55's look the best of any shroud in a protege headlight.

As to fitting the morimoto mini projectors into a Protege5 housing, yes it will fit but i do not think the e55 shrouds will fit without trimming. The other thing is with the p5 headlights, the current high beam will not be used unless you do your own wiring to splice it into the harness so you'd have HID and halogen high beams. Otherwise, you could run a manual switch to the halogen highs to use them as a DRL

can you get a pic of the wiring harness? It might be an older unit which had issues on certain cars. For the 2 miatas i've done, the old harness wouldn't work but the new one does

I'll see if behave one. If not ill get it after work. What it does is the little thing moves inside the projector to be one highs but the bulb shuts off.

uhh... that's odd

So the shield moves but the bulb goes off? Did you order an H4 harness?

I know on the Protege5's with the H7 harness the fogs turn off when the highs are flipped on, but not the low beam. Did your car have fogs at one point? That's confusing. Had I known that i'da checked em out while we were in Daytona. You have a voltage meter to see which pin is getting power or losing it?

We looked at the voltage. I'm just terrible with wiring. And I have Fogs now. and yes h4 Harness. Ans when o switch to highs, the bulb shuts off and so do the Fogs.

your car had the stock wiring for the fogs or did you install your own wiring? Just trying process of elimination

sounds to me like the harness isn't connected correctly, or something... stock MSP setup shuts the low beam and fogs off when you select the high beams. to fix that on my car, i had to connect the ballast ground wire to the chassis. since the protege has a ground switch wiring harness, this prevents the ballast from shutting off.

huh, i was unaware that the MSP shuts down the lows. Good to know, thanks Bud

Back