Mazdaspeed Protege Aftermarket Parts Listing

I'd like to add to the spark plug area. The MSP actually came with extended reach plugs (which the BKR7E's are not), so you should probably continue to use extended reach plugs for the most effiecient combustion. Here is a list of plugs I found that are the proper fit:

Copper:
NGK: ZFR6F-11 (stock heat range) or ZFR7F (colder)
Denso: KJ20CRL11, KJ20CR11 (stock heat range) or KJ22CRL8 (colder)
Autolite: 5224 (stock heat range)
Splitfire: SF522D (stock heat range)
Bosch: 7562(FR8LCX) (stock heat range)

Platinum:
NGK: PZFR6F-11 (OEM Plug) or PZFR7F (colder)
Denso: PKJ20CR8 (stock heat range)
Autolite: Platinum - AP5224 ; Double Platinum - APP5224 (stock heat range)
Splitfire: TP522D (stock heat range)
Bosch: Platinum - 4230(FR8LPX);Platinum2 - 4301; Platinum+4 - 4418 (all stock heat range)

Iridium:
NGK: IZFR6F (stock heat range)
Denso: IK20 (stock heat range)

Most of the plugs are available with a factory preset gap of 1.1mm (when researching NGK's, add or remove a '-11' to the part number if you can't find what you want) The 1.1mm gap is too large for the MSP, which is supposed to be .7 -.8mm You an close up the gap, but that's a large difference and can cause electrodes and grounds to get off center. Ideally you should look for a plug that came with a factory gap around .8 or .7 mm The Denso KJ22CR-L8 are the closest I could find that are copper, colder heat range, extended reach, and proper gap.

I got all this info from sparkplugs.com (except the bosch info, which I got from boschusa.com) they have a really cool cross-reference area to help find equivalent plugs from other manufacturers.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
It's being worked on right now...about 2/3 done updating....I'm not posting updates in this thread, I'm going to post a new thread when I'm done (to keep things uncluttered)

Guys, this is a community. If you want the updates, write it yourself and we'll add it and give you credit. We're not here to be slaves for you. As I know you've noticed, we have slightly more important issues with the forum setup and layout that we need to do before updating a guide. Please feel free to write up additions should you really want it updated so bad.

(werd)

In addition to moderating this board, I administer another board, am the president of a local Mazda club that is just getting on their feet, and work two jobs. When I wrote the first version of this guide I had plenty of free time. I don't have that luxury anymore. Like t3ase said, if anybody wants to update a section, go right ahead. Just let us know which one you're working on, so there's no duplicates. You will be given credit for writing it.

Jersey I sent you a PM about a week ago asking what you want me to do to help update this. Also you were saying that you were updating it so I think others assumed you were. And its hard to know what to do when people talk in tounges

How do you want it set up if someone goes ahead and does this? Name of product, price and a short write about it?

I started updating it, a couple of parts have been updated already. I just haven't had the time to finish updating it.

If you want to update/rewrite a section, you need to research all of the available options, find websites, places to buy, read through the forums for reports from people who have that part installed, and write a summary of what you found.

MikeyG_U2 said:
I'd like to add to the spark plug area. The MSP actually came with extended reach plugs (which the BKR7E's are not), so you should probably continue to use extended reach plugs for the most effiecient combustion. Here is a list of plugs I found that are the proper fit:

So I just orderd the plugs on the first page of this thread,, should I just cancel my order and buy extended reach ,, or is it not a big deal. Regardless they are not very expensive.

Instrument Bezel

Anyone Know of any aftermarket (good-looking) Instrument Bezels? Some bastards stole my stereo and scraped up the Bezel. Mazda wants 300 beans for a new one.
Much appreciated.

Bezel

Crock said:

That looks awesome; exactly what I'm looking for for a turbo gauge, I'll definitely try to get something like that.
But, I guess my post was misleading though. I need to find the carbon fiber trimmed bezel that encompasses the vents, stereo, and climate controls. That's what got all scratched up.

hargs79 said:
That looks awesome; exactly what I'm looking for for a turbo gauge, I'll definitely try to get something like that.
But, I guess my post was misleading though. I need to find the carbon fiber trimmed bezel that encompasses the vents, stereo, and climate controls. That's what got all scratched up.
I would just sand it down and paint it. It seems that the MSP Gods were telling you to start customizing the inside. (yupnope)

bezel

tviera said:
I would just sand it down and paint it. It seems that the MSP Gods were telling you to start customizing the inside. (yupnope)

You're probably right. That thought crossed my mind too, only problem is matching the silver color. I also found a bunch of interior parts on corksport.com. They seem to be cheaper than buying the stock Mazdaspeed bezel ($68 compared to $300.) There are a lot of options, but faux carbon fiber/aluminum is not one of them unfortunately.
Thanks for the help guys.

hargs79 said:
You're probably right. That thought crossed my mind too, only problem is matching the silver color. I also found a bunch of interior parts on corksport.com. They seem to be cheaper than buying the stock Mazdaspeed bezel ($68 compared to $300.) There are a lot of options, but faux carbon fiber/aluminum is not one of them unfortunately.
Thanks for the help guys.

check out http://www.dgmotorsports.com/index.asp, they have a sick carbon fiber kit for the inside and damn will that add some points at a show....a little steep in price, but it is carbon fiber.....

Back