If you are near Bakersfield/ButtonWillow on the weekend of April 27-28th

Here is a picture from the Sunday race from the start and the lead I gained on them. I believe this is the second lap.

CorkSport-mazda-2-b-spec-majors.jpg

Photo credit to Baer Images who was at the track shooting.

Derrick

I could see that going both ways though depending on the track.

Nice picture of the car. I think the 2 makes the best looking racecar of all the B-Specs.

There has been some tracks where the 2 needs to shift in the middle of the corner and the fit has the advantage as well.

-Derrick

I was talking to Jason Isley about the Yaris and he mentioned the RPM drop for the fit is a benefit they have over all of the other B-Spec cars. He said is was 1800 rpm and the Toyota was 2200 like the Mazda.

Derrick

I know that the honda has better gearing, but if it means that on a straight away they have to make an extra shift where the 2 can hold 3rd or 4th gear all of the way. I should plot them both when I have the time.

I have ahem "heard" the 99-00 Mazda protege 4th gear is better suited for power over economy and can be used in the Mazda 2 transmission......

An example that I have is at BW I enter riverside in 4th gear flat out and hold that all the way to the bump before grapevine. The fit was entering riverside at the same speed as I (I was about 15 feet behind him) and if he shifted I wasn't able to tell down the straight as he pulled away.

The killer for me was right after the grapevine I could run on the rev limiter in 2nd or bog and shift to 3rd.

-Derrick

It was nice meeting you Derrick. Good luck with your program... Maybe someday you will decided to mod that car and go faster. ;) Here is my video, brief appearance by a Mazda2 in there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOhAfa2S1fE

I think the gear split numbers I was talking about was before and after the close-ratio upgrade. But yes, the Honda does seem to have a gearing advantage over your car - the Honda is going to be further up the RPM range and should pull harder on corner exit than you. The one downside to the Honda would be needing 5th gear on fast tracks, while you should be able to hold 4th (because the only way you can get past 110mph is with a push lol).

*I think I have the base numbers right:
Mazda2
m2rev.png

Fit
fitrev.png

BS Yaris
yarisrev.png

HP Yaris
HPyaris.png

The numbers look correct from what I remember on the duece. It also really shows the problem I was having with him catching me after riverside. Anything past 95mph I really hit a wall for top speed.

-Derrick

Thanks for the video, you can see the Fits and I at about 4:30

-Derrick

Latest posts

Back