2014 B-Spec Racing

Wow that is some carnage! You need some of Jason's HP valve train to survive that kind of RPM.

-Derrick

The last west coast majors event is coming up the 4th of July weekend. Looks like it will be two cars. We lost the other Mazda 2 at pacific in May

73%20%289%29-XL.jpg

73%20%288%29-XL.jpg

85%20%283%29-XL.jpg

Broke the RF knuckle as well and messed up the front end. The car was in the frame shop last I heard :(

Derrick

The last west coast majors event is coming up the 4th of July weekend. Looks like it will be two cars.
Derrick

You know... If you wanted to have some fun you could always pull your ballast, toss on a few Cork Sport goodies, and run HP for the weekend. You already have the BS title locked up on the west coast, and not enough BS cars to win any money, so you have nothing to lose. I bet you could podium.

Last edited:
Interesting idea, I hate to say it but I always see a few of the HP cars not make it to the end of the races.

Best I was ever able to get on the 2 with an intake, no cats, adjustable shocks, swaybars, etc was ~ 1:36 at PIR only 1 second better than my fastest time. Current track record is held by Gordon at a 1:31 in his BMW.. Who knows what will happen. If you needed another car for HP I could double dip the weekend :)

-Derrick

Interesting idea, I hate to say it but I always see a few of the HP cars not make it to the end of the races.

Best I was ever able to get on the 2 with an intake, no cats, adjustable shocks, swaybars, etc was ~ 1:36 at PIR only 1 second better than my fastest time. Current track record is held by Gordon at a 1:31 in his BMW.. Who knows what will happen. If you needed another car for HP I could double dip the weekend :)

-Derrick
Wow...Is the Bspec kit really that good? The struts you ran, were they the CS struts with your springs or other adjustable struts and stiffer springs?

I would think with better shock valving and 150-200lb more spring rate, and an opened intake, no balast and a free flowing exhaust the 2 could easily hang with the HP crowd..

Last edited:
The Mazda 2 is pretty good with the suspension kit but it could be better. It just would require work which would move it out of being able to run B-Spec (more front camber, changing out bushings to something stiffer, Etc). If I could change a few small things it would be more rear spring (not alot) and an upgraded front swaybar. There are a few tracks where we kept upping the rear tire pressure and still could not get the car to oversteer enough and both of those would get me there.

I would need a jump by about 15-20 hp to stand a chance in HP, the well prepped cars blow past me on the straights.

-Derrick

The Mazda 2 is pretty good with the suspension kit but it could be better. It just would require work which would move it out of being able to run B-Spec (more front camber, changing out bushings to something stiffer, Etc). If I could change a few small things it would be more rear spring (not alot) and an upgraded front swaybar. There are a few tracks where we kept upping the rear tire pressure and still could not get the car to oversteer enough and both of those would get me there.

I would need a jump by about 15-20 hp to stand a chance in HP, the well prepped cars blow past me on the straights.

-Derrick

The power helps a little, the gearing in Prod helps a lot.

Last west coast majors this weekend at PIR if anyone locally wants to swing by entry is free. There are a ton of cars signed up (only 2 B-Specs) for the classes which should make for some great racing.

-Derrick

Well I didn't see that coming:
#11958 (Club Racing Board) Balance Performance of Mazda 2
In B
-
Spec, Mazda 2 (11
-
12), change the weight as follows:

So is it STL or HP next year Derrick?

Really? I finished 2 in every race the last 1/2 of the season if they would look at the results.

-Derrick

Last edited:
Really? I finished 2 in every race the last 1/2 of the season if they would look at the results.

-Derrick

I am going to go out on a limb and say you are not the benchmark they are using. More likely they are looking at McTexas.

What I find odd is they are no longer keeping the cars similar to WC spec, both weights and plates are different over there - in WC you would have a plate and this new weight, while the Kia would drop 25lbs and get a bigger opening.

I am going to go out on a limb and say you are not the benchmark they are using. More likely they are looking at McTexas.

What I find odd is they are no longer keeping the cars similar to WC spec, both weights and plates are different over there - in WC you would have a plate and this new weight, while the Kia would drop 25lbs and get a bigger opening.

Lol Mctexas!

Officially the rules were posted with the weight change. I just hope there is enough "creative input" to sway the rule from going into effect by the time the runoffs occur.

-Derrick

Fender.jpg

Whoops from the July SCCA Majors weekend. It is now hanging on my garage wall as a souvenir.

-Derrick

Latest posts

Back