Front and Rear licence plate holder removal?

Has anyone taken off the front and rear licence plate holder on their Protege 5?. Does any one have any pictures of what that looks like? interested in taking mine off, and wanted to know if it had been done? Thanks

Looks like two small holes in the front bumper...just loosen the two bolts holding on the front holder...not sure of the rear...

taken off the fronts and almost got a ticket for it but i havent removed the rear plate holder.

SNV31027edit.jpg

SNV31003edit.jpg

Looks like two small holes in the front bumper...just loosen the two bolts holding on the front holder...not sure of the rear...

I was just going to take the front licence plate holder off, and mount the licence plate right to the bumper. Maybe it will look a little cleaner.

uh....

Car came without a rear plate and with a broken rear plate holder, there were two covers, easily popped up with a flat head screw driver, then two bolts to remove...

very easy, now I have to find a new plate holder, thinking of going with a cheap-o from idiot-zone...

No front plates in TN!

me too but i got pulled over for no plates, and got a warning cause i told them that the car dint come with front plate holder. and they let me off but im gona get the plate relocator for the front

I hate front license plates...

I would get pulled over for sure living in Ohio, and depending on if it was a state trooper, sherriff, or local city cop more than likely get a ticket. (five-0) I was just thinking the P5 would look a little nicer without that bulky plate holder on the front and rear.

^ what is "bulky" about the rear?

My OEM was broken, so I might go with a cheapo from auto-zone unless I get one from a guy parting out a car on here, I didn't see how it would be any lower profile though. Mounting the tag directly to the body sounds scary to me, I dunno about Ohio, but the back of TN plates are un-coated metal, I would think this would be bad directly on the car's paint...

^ what is "bulky" about the rear?

My OEM was broken, so I might go with a cheapo from auto-zone unless I get one from a guy parting out a car on here, I didn't see how it would be any lower profile though. Mounting the tag directly to the body sounds scary to me, I dunno about Ohio, but the back of TN plates are un-coated metal, I would think this would be bad directly on the car's paint...

well considering that the licence plate holder is a bit bigger than the plate itself, it's a little bulky looking. and the paint is clear coated, and the plate covers the spot anyway so it doesn't matter.

^ clear-coat scratches too. Maybe you don't have the original rear bracket, or maybe I didn't/don't, I didn't notice it being any larger than a plate would be (it didn't have a plate on it but still). If your talking about it sticking out from the car, well, yeah, I think the intention was to get it away from the paint on the car so that it doesn't scratch the (thin) clear coat or the paint...

Do what you want, I'm just giving my opinion and trying to help. This thread wouldn't have been necessary if you would have walked outside and removed the plate/plate holder yourself to see if the holes would line-up (pretty sure they won't)...

Have a nice evening!

^ clear-coat scratches too. Maybe you don't have the original rear bracket, or maybe I didn't/don't, I didn't notice it being any larger than a plate would be (it didn't have a plate on it but still). If your talking about it sticking out from the car, well, yeah, I think the intention was to get it away from the paint on the car so that it doesn't scratch the (thin) clear coat or the paint...

Do what you want, I'm just giving my opinion and trying to help. This thread wouldn't have been necessary if you would have walked outside and removed the plate/plate holder yourself to see if the holes would line-up (pretty sure they won't)...

Have a nice evening!

S7001375.jpg

well I will have to let you know how it goes when I pull them off this weekend. how would the plate scratch the paint, all it does is sit there? I don't know, all I am adding is my opinion as well. And I think our cars would look nicer without the plate holders on them.

Has anyone taken off the front and rear licence plate holder on their Protege 5?. Does any one have any pictures of what that looks like? interested in taking mine off, and wanted to know if it had been done? Thanks

S7001566.jpg

car with front licence plate bracket.

S7001567.jpg

car with the licence plate bracket removed.

S7001568-1.jpg

car with the licence plate back on without the licence plate bracket. Holes did not line up so I just drilled new ones. And I just left the back licence plate bracket on.

Last edited:
looks alot better
but it would look nice if u filled the holes and relocated the plates.
pretty good lookin tho. No more bulky plate holder.
and get sum quick detailer and fix up that nasty spot.

looks alot better
but it would look nice if u filled the holes and relocated the plates.
pretty good lookin tho. No more bulky plate holder.
and get sum quick detailer and fix up that nasty spot.

are you talking about filling in the holes where the plate holder use to be? which one nasty spot are you talking about? lol. it does look a little better without that front plate holder though. I got some work to do on her.

S7001567.jpg

car with the licence plate bracket removed.

the nasty spot on the bumper
and then fill in the old holes
with a plastic piece that alot of guys use on this forum and then quick detail it to color match the car

that spot in the middle between the 2 screw holes was just a piece of brown tape. The car could you a good detailing though. I was thinking about pulling out the 2 plastic piece that the licence plate holder was mounted too, and filling them in with some kind of filler. And attaching the licence plate to the black grill in between the 2 fogs.

hahhaa i did that and then i got in an accident and then i spend money on a new plate as well as a new lower grille.

but it looks nice if u got urself a relocator on ebay for like 10bucks and relocate it on the side or a different spot rather than the middle

Back