Question on special tool needed when removing CV axles for clutch replacement

I need to remove the manual transmission on a 2003 Protege5 to replace the clutch. The service manual says you have to put a special service tool into the transmission hole after taking out the CV axle to prevent the side gears from falling. Is this necessary? Is there an alternative basic tool or method to avoid the side gears from falling? Has anyone done the clutch job and removed both axles and had any problems when not using the special holding tool?

I remember reading that the gears falling is definitely possible, then you have to take your transmission apart to realign everything.
They say they you don't need a special tool, just a screwdriver or some sort of dowel put in.
Be careful that the screwdriver/dowel doesn't fall out while you're working on the car.

I need to remove the manual transmission on a 2003 Protege5 to replace the clutch. The service manual says you have to put a special service tool into the transmission hole after taking out the CV axle to prevent the side gears from falling. Is this necessary? Is there an alternative basic tool or method to avoid the side gears from falling? Has anyone done the clutch job and removed both axles and had any problems when not using the special holding tool?
I pulled my transmission to do my clutch last summer and had never even heard of this until now. I just pulled the axles and then pulled the transmission. I didn't have any problems, but maybe I just avoided disaster. I watched several videos on it and read a lot of forum posts before and none of them mentioned it, so I personally wouldn't be worried. But your mileage may vary.

Reactions: pcb
Thanks guys. I ended up putting a short piece of vinyl tubing in the hole that was about the right size. I haven’t installed the new clutch back in yet, but hopefully all goes well.

Back