AWD Mazdaspeed 3, STI killer

I was under my car last night while it was getting an oil change, I don't see this being cheap or easy. Gas tank in the way, spare tire well potentially in the way, exhaust taking up almost all the remaining space where a driveshaft would go. It'd be nice to see under the DG car to see how they got around the in the way parts.

I was under my car last night while it was getting an oil change, I don't see this being cheap or easy. Gas tank in the way, spare tire well potentially in the way, exhaust taking up almost all the remaining space where a driveshaft would go. It'd be nice to see under the DG car to see how they got around the in the way parts.

The ms6 gas tank is divided in the middle, so I imagine the volvo version of the c1 platform will have the same gas tank design. The tunnel in the middle is deep to accommodate the drive shaft and exhaust.
Ford_c1_platform.jpg

It would be so nice if they made an AWD MS3. I'd trade mine in in a heartbeat, extra weight and all. I recently traded in my stock '01 Audi S4 for my new '08 MS3, so I am coming from driving AWD, and I miss it.

Aside from weather and all, there is one particular thing that I miss that is kind of silly and immature, but oh well: I never realized what a difference AWD on cars with this kind of power makes on launches. Previously I was used just to casually beat everyone at stoplights without looking like I'm even trying, and now it takes an embarrasing amount of "look at me, I'm racing" tire screeching to do that, so I just don't, for the most part.

It would be so nice if they made an AWD MS3. I'd trade mine in in a heartbeat, extra weight and all. I recently traded in my stock '01 Audi S4 for my new '08 MS3, so I am coming from driving AWD, and I miss it.

Aside from weather and all, there is one particular thing that I miss that is kind of silly and immature, but oh well: I never realized what a difference AWD on cars with this kind of power makes on launches. Previously I was used just to casually beat everyone at stoplights without looking like I'm even trying, and now it takes an embarrasing amount of "look at me, I'm racing" tire screeching to do that, so I just don't, for the most part.

second. I miss mah quattro (even though it was haldex)

perhaps the best idea is for someone to make a parts list of what would be needed for purchase? I have no idea but I'm interested in seeing the price tag (this is excluding fab work obviously)

It would be heavyyyy :(

I forget where the thread is/was, but AWD like the MS6's would add about 150 lbs. That takes it up to STi territory in weight for a lot less money. Still, terms of price it probably would have been more than a lot of current/prospective owners would have gone for. Especially with some of these kids paying such high interest rates. I think Mazda made the right decision market-wise since the MS3 is the clear bang-for-the-buck king for the foreseeable future.

Still holding out hope for an AWD model '09!

yea seriously im pretty sure with the tranmission,driveshaft,rear suspension and axle setup, transfer case, new exhaust (if they have to change the routing for driveshaft), and all the other associated stuff im almost positive thats more then 150lbs correct me if im wrong tho

your not adding those things though, your replacing most of them. exhaust is what, 17lbs? Custom driveshaft is probably like what, 35lbs? its the same transmission, your replacing the rear suspension with a different one that probably weighs close to the same, what would make the new one weigh so much more? I would be shocked if it weighed 200lbs more than the regular ms3.

There seems to be a bit of misinformation regarding the bmw awd going on. The old awd was 62-38 the xdrive however (the current one) is 100% of power to either axle. The 'rents own a Bmw and it has no problems lighting up the rear tires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_xDrive

Further more if the mazda awd is anything like the volvo (and it should be as there the same platform and share a bunch of parts) This applies

THe volvo T5 weighs in at 3363 lbs the awd T5 weighs 3518 lbs nothing is changed but the drive train. That makes the awd about 150lbs.

Just an FYI,

This Speed3 is just your regular GT model with a paint job and some carbon fiber parts, along with race seats and a cage on the inside.

-J

Here are pics ZooMIN3 took over the weekend
Well the car was at Irvine Headquarters fo rthe every weekend Cars and Coffee at Ford/Mazda HQ in Irvine

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Look like something is missing?

IMG_0038.jpg

Yep looks liek somethgi is not there.
Sorry ZooMIN your pics i save pics to my computers to save. These are his. from saturday.

Last edited:
Here are pics ZooMIN3 took over the weekend
Well the car was at Irvine Headquarters fo rthe every weekend Cars and Coffee at Ford/Mazda HQ in Irvine
Yep looks liek somethgi is not there.
Sorry ZooMIN your pics i save pics to my computers to save. These are his. from saturday.

No need to be sorry bro, I just figured I'd post a thread instead of multiple posts with the same pix..lol Thanks though! (first)

Oh wait, I thought I posted a thread here with these pix... I just thought they got deleted or something??? Guess not..lol Good looking out Alien3T! (first) (first)

-J

Last edited:
Back