AWD Mazdaspeed 3, STI killer

theres nothing wrong with the haldex awd system

Exactly, what need to you have for the rear end to have more power until the front begins to lose grip. This is the type of system the twin turbo s4 used, and it just won Sport Compact Cars ultimate street car challenge and had a blistering lap time.

i agree on the looks. its not my cup of tee, i like the under the radar look i guess thats why i drive a silver one. but im intregued by the mechanicals that went in to it. O yeah with the s4 setup on the dyno they tend to be hunting on where to put the power at and then they end up running the front and rear at diffrent speeds but thats the problem with open diffs. Im not to sure how it responds in the snow and i imagine the speed 6 would be hunting as well

Last edited:
Exactly, what need to you have for the rear end to have more power until the front begins to lose grip. This is the type of system the twin turbo s4 used, and it just won Sport Compact Cars ultimate street car challenge and had a blistering lap time.

S4 does not use Haldex, it uses the Torsen system.

torsen>haldex>nothing

S4 does not use Haldex, it uses the Torsen system.

torsen>haldex>nothing

I don't know the name of it, im not talking about the current s4, Im talking about the old bodied v6 twin turbo. It may have been a different system but it was very similar in that it send the majority of the power to the front until the rear began to lose grip, then it would send power to the rear. My friend used to have one, apr chip, downpipes, tbe and cai, thing pulled like a beast in 6th gear form 50mph, made 85% of torque at 2k rpm. It handled rain very well with the system it had.

any updates on any of this stuff?

Yes! Mazda will be offering this as an awd upgrade through mazdaspeed dealers only, for only 5 payments of $999.99. Installation will be extra, but you will keep your warranty. Call 1-800-AWD-NOW.

Buahahaha (laugh) Hey! I can dream right.

i had a VW r32 for 2 years and it had the haldex system. it was normally 100/0, f/r. under slip, the haldex would move to 50/50.

however, it was possible to buy (expensive) modules to make the haldex act more aggresively, making it feel more like a rwd car.

however, it was mechanically possible to have the torque split 0/100, f/r, with the right module.

haldex is strange though. the module that controls torque distribution is not electronic....it's hydro-mechanic. it definitely was strange. but it's the same set up that the Audi TT uses.....although i'm not sure if the new-gen TT uses haldex. in all, haldex is different from torsen or any other AWD system. but you can't tell the differences between the type of AWD unless you are pushing the car really hard.

would the MS3 be "better" with awd? eh, i think it would weigh too much and would lose some of its nimbleness. that my .02.

that's what kills me about most awd systems....

Why couldn't it be the opposite? Give me an AWD car that's RWD under normal conditions and you'll have a winner. Everyone knows RWD is the ideal setup for a performance car under ideal situations. Granted, the extra weight of an AWD system definitely is a disadvantage... in the end rwd>fwd

If you want a RWD biased AWD system buy a Skyline. The AWD that is on nearly production car is a marketing tool as much as any feature on a car. Understeer is always safer and will always be the best option for 99.9999% of car buyers.

The G35 AWD system is also RWD biased:

"Move off the line and 75 percent of torque goes to the rear wheels, with the front ones getting 25 percent. When under way, the system can shoot 100 percent of the torque to the rear wheels, giving the G35X AWD Leather model the balanced feel of a rear-drive car.

In contrast, Infiniti says, the BMW 330xi, Mercedes C-Class 4Matic and Audi A4 Quattro systems only shoot 50 to 62 percent of power to the rear wheels."

Not to go off on a tangent or anything but...

My friend has a G35x...

He was originally going to get an A4 but I talked him into this car. (all the reviews rated it #1 in its class) After driving it, I can definitely attest to the rwd bias. Felt more like a rwd than an awd car. t's definitely a kickass machine... but not my style. granted, I drive an MSP which isn't even in the same galaxy as this car... all I know is, it felt really heavy and far too "solid" for lack of a better term. That's obviously a good thing for most... but I prefer the nimble nature of the MSP and the feeling that I'm in an oversized go-kart. And even though it's obviously a lot faster than the MSP, it didn't really FEEL faster.

Now the coupe... haven't driven one yet but I gotta believe that's more my style.

The only reason the cars mentioned that are rwd based are because the way the engine has to set in the car. If you look at an Evo the engine is side ways. A straight 6 has to be rwd based (skyline) because it would be really hard to make it fit like evo's do. Same with a V6 it would almost have to be put in like a straight six engine. With exception to the 3000gt vr-4 most engines that are not 4 cylinders have to be set up to be rwd. Changing an evo tranny sux... A rwd drive set up is much easier... to me anyways.

I hope they make this car with awd at some point. If not then it will be a fun mod to do when warrenty is up.

say what! were talking about were the torque is sent not the layout of engine in the car.

Back