Any photographers in here?

Go with a higher f-stop f16-22, lower shutter speed and practice. I'm not sure if I posted here, but... Go on the street and take pictures of cars passing by, best practice IMHO.

I chose f11 to get the sharpest image I could. I remember reading that lenses are their sharpest a few stops above wide open.

I chose f11 to get the sharpest image I could. I remember reading that lenses are their sharpest a few stops above wide open.

f/11 starts to generate refraction. Try f/8 for sharper images. Also, it will let you speed up your shutter just a little, which will help your keeper rate... as long as you're still getting enough background blur.

How do you set your camera? Single or Continous focus? Single or burst shot?

Continuous focus, which on Canon is AI Servo. I shoot in burst mode but I never just hold the shutter button down, I'm rapidly clicking because in my head I can control where the focus is going to be on the car better that way.

This is one of the best articles I've seen on shooting motorsports: http://blog.photoshelter.com/2010/01/how-to-photograph-motorsports/ and the guy who wrote it posts pictures on the POTN forum too.

I can't remember if it was that article or not but I read a tip that was something along the lines of positioning yourself at a point on the inside of a turn such that the car stays relatively the same distance from you. This makes it easier to get nice crispy shots while panning because the focus doesn't need to change as much. It also helps if you are shooting with gear that is pretty slow to focus.

ND filters!! That will allow for sharp aperture settings and lower shutter speeds to achieve the motion blur.

Yep!

Last edited:
So what if the camera loses sharpness after f11? For pixel peeping purposes or what is the correct term? Only then the sharpness loss will be that much visible.
For me its better to have a good/great shot than to be 100% technically correct. Since I've realized that, ISO1600+ isn't that "scary" anymore. Of course depends what you shot. I don't like even ISO800 when shooting stills with cars/people, but life/concert photo, that's another story.

And I agree with the "need" to purchase ND filters, so you don't have to resort to high f-stops, but until I buy one, f22 wont kill me :)

P.S. Sorry if the tone of the message may sound a little harsh, but it's not.

@Willd - I'll read that article as soon as I can, sounds interesting and photos are very good on first glance.
I photograph drift like that and can get very nice, constant, results. Are you using central auto-focus point or some sort of AI within the camera (3D Matrix metering for Nikon, I'm sure that Canon has something similar, but don't know the name for it).

I use the center focus point only. In my mind I have better control over where the focus on the car is going to be that way.

I do basically the same thing as Will; take a bunch of photos on a continuous focus mode and hope for the best. Considering I use a $100 70-300mm lens without any stabilization, I think everything turns out okay. It is all in the panning motion!

RolexGT001 by James Iorfida, on Flickr

MidOhio013 by James Iorfida, on Flickr

So what if the camera loses sharpness after f11? For pixel peeping purposes or what is the correct term? Only then the sharpness loss will be that much visible.
For me its better to have a good/great shot than to be 100% technically correct. Since I've realized that, ISO1600+ isn't that "scary" anymore. Of course depends what you shot. I don't like even ISO800 when shooting stills with cars/people, but life/concert photo, that's another story.

And I agree with the "need" to purchase ND filters, so you don't have to resort to high f-stops, but until I buy one, f22 wont kill me :)

P.S. Sorry if the tone of the message may sound a little harsh, but it's not.

@Willd - I'll read that article as soon as I can, sounds interesting and photos are very good on first glance.
I photograph drift like that and can get very nice, constant, results. Are you using central auto-focus point or some sort of AI within the camera (3D Matrix metering for Nikon, I'm sure that Canon has something similar, but don't know the name for it).

at f/22 I can see the difference even in a web sized image... it starts getting this "dreamy" weird look to it... it works with some subjects, but very much not with others. In fact, I have a 30 second beach sunrise exposure shot at f/22 hanging in my dining room... I would never shoot something with sharp lines (like a car) at f/22 though. Maybe it's just me.

Trying to figure out the Nikon over lunch
375788_2589603700292_1260572038_4737756_1908010915_n.jpg

at f/22 I can see the difference even in a web sized image... it starts getting this "dreamy" weird look to it... it works with some subjects, but very much not with others. In fact, I have a 30 second beach sunrise exposure shot at f/22 hanging in my dining room... I would never shoot something with sharp lines (like a car) at f/22 though. Maybe it's just me.

You can see, as can I, or probably anybody on here who know what to look at - and thats the technical part of the pic. For that reason I'm saying f22 wont kill you to get a good panning shot, since already half of the picture is blurred. There is no reason to shoot stills with f22.
With all that said, probably my next purchase is going to be a ND and a CPL for 80-200mm.

On a side note... I'm having serious backfocus issues with the Tamron. I never know when its going to act up on me. The other day it nailed focus spot on two pics (leaf and moving cat), 2min later it missed by a mile, on a parked car... First 15-20days it worked without a flaw and then started missing on 50mm, now it can miss from 17 to 50mm. Sent it to see what can be done about warranty.
In other news I bought a Nikkor AF-S 35mm f1.8G, bookeh-licous little lens :)

Didn't make it three... haha. I was actually out flying myself around. Got checked out in an airplane I'm allowed to take to the Bahamas! Pics to come from that trip this weekend...

Back