All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 To Be Previewed At Novembers Los Angeles Auto Show?

Interior:
My biggest pet peeve with the interior of 2016 is the arm rest. it's insufficient for the driver and non-existing for the front passenger. They may have solved that but I can't really tell without sitting in the vehicle. I'm not sure if the new arm rest is forward enough. I noticed that there are now rear vents by the center arm rest, which is good news.

Maybe the arm rest slides forward over the cup holders, which could only be used when no tall cups are in there. I've seen arm rests done that way.

Oh lord. People. This is a cheap CUV. It is not a status symbol. It is not a performance machine. It's a grocery-hauler and something to drive when it looks like you might get caught in a hail storm and you don't want to damage your sunday car. If you like your 2016, you can keep your 2016 :)
If you like the features offered in the 2017, you can sell your 2016 and get a 2017. I don't get what all the hurt feelings are over.

one of the most sad things.. even the cx9 still doesnt. again watch all the bias in here say its not needed and how it sucks or a waste etc etc. to try and justify the current crappy infotainment.

No Toyota has them either.

All the small gripes with my current CX-5 have essentially been addressed with the 2017.
Rear AC Vent, Power passenger seat (which my wife constantly rags on me about), recline back seat, power lift gate, improved Bose system (TBD), improvements in speaker design and placement to eliminate rattles plus you add:
heads up display, memory seats... would consider if the deal was right....

Same. Hopefully it'll be available in the next mk model years as was the 2.5l for the model year 2014.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I think will happen. Dave Coleman told journalists that they already done measurements that the 2.5t will fit in whatever has the 2.5, I think the reason why it's not an option yet is Mazda is a small company and they can't build the new engine fast enough. I like the gen 2, but the old powertrain is getting in the way of it from been great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I think will happen. Dave Coleman told journalists that they already done measurements that the 2.5t will fit in whatever has the 2.5, I think the reason why it's not an option yet is Mazda is a small company and they can't build the new engine fast enough. I like the gen 2, but the old powertrain is getting in the way of it from been great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

What Dgraham said is spot on. The buyer base for CX-5 does not need a 300 lbft torque monster. Reclining seats and AC vents are bigger deal for the buyer. As much as Mazda is an enthusiast company it still needs to sell numbers.
So 2.5T will get them few sales but the current improvements will get more people in the door.

So 2.5t is a lower priority for Mazda which seems a great decision. I wonder what the mpg will be like - and maybe they will keep the power / torque in check to get better mpgs.
There are going to be people who would want their v6 Rav4s but it is still selling like hot cakes with a balanced approach. 2.5ts will be similar - it won't sell a ton but if it does come on the market I will be glad to rent one on my business trips!

So it's nice that the rear seat now reclines, but has anyone heard whether they gave up the 40/20/40 split to get it?

Oh lord. People. This is a cheap CUV. It is not a status symbol. It is not a performance machine. It's a grocery-hauler and something to drive when it looks like you might get caught in a hail storm and you don't want to damage your sunday car. If you like your 2016, you can keep your 2016 :)
If you like the features offered in the 2017, you can sell your 2016 and get a 2017. I don't get what all the hurt feelings are over.

A $30k+ car for driving in the hail? That's what the $5000 mirage is for

The Diesel is official now.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-ev-plug-in-hybrid-under-fuel-efficiency-push

TOKYO -- After four years of delays, Mazda Motor Corp. says it will make good on its plan to bring diesel vehicles to the United States, announcing today it will introduce the technology in the new-generation CX-5 crossover next year.

As part of a diversification drive, Mazda also will introduce an electric vehicle in 2019 and a plug-in hybrid vehicle in 2021 or later, to meet increasingly stringent fuel economy rules.

CEO Masamichi Kogai said his company, one of Japan's smallest carmakers, has cracked the equation of balancing driving performance with clean emissions that had held up a U.S. diesel launch ever since Mazda said in 2010 it would bring its Skyactiv-D engines stateside in 2012.

A revamped 2.2-liter Skyactiv-D clean diesel engine, tweaked to meet more stringent U.S. regulations for nitrogen oxide emissions, will be offered in the second-generation CX-5 in the second half of 2017, Kogai said. The next CX-5 debuted today at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

The EPA must still give an official fuel economy rating for the CX-5 diesel. But Kogai said it would be among the most fuel efficient rides in the small crossover segment, including hybrids.

No compromises

The fix came through adding a urea selective catalytic reduction, or SCR, treatment to scrub the exhaust of nitrogen oxides, Kogai said. Mazda was able to develop a compact SCR unit that not only reduced its cost but also reduced its impact on engine performance, he said. Further gains in performance came through various tweaks to reduce friction throughout the drivetrain.

Mazda spent five years measuring customer feedback to develop the upgrades to the North American diesel engine so that it would be sporty and clean, Kogai said.

Mazda is well aware of the uphill battle in convincing U.S. consumers of the charms of diesel now, after Volkswagen AG's rigged diesel emissions scandal tainted the technology's image.

Clean diesels account for only around 2.5 percent of the U.S. market, Kogai reckons.

The Diesel is official now.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-ev-plug-in-hybrid-under-fuel-efficiency-push

TOKYO -- After four years of delays, Mazda Motor Corp. says it will make good on its plan to bring diesel vehicles to the United States, announcing today it will introduce the technology in the new-generation CX-5 crossover next year.

As part of a diversification drive, Mazda also will introduce an electric vehicle in 2019 and a plug-in hybrid vehicle in 2021 or later, to meet increasingly stringent fuel economy rules.

CEO Masamichi Kogai said his company, one of Japan's smallest carmakers, has cracked the equation of balancing driving performance with clean emissions that had held up a U.S. diesel launch ever since Mazda said in 2010 it would bring its Skyactiv-D engines stateside in 2012.

A revamped 2.2-liter Skyactiv-D clean diesel engine, tweaked to meet more stringent U.S. regulations for nitrogen oxide emissions, will be offered in the second-generation CX-5 in the second half of 2017, Kogai said. The next CX-5 debuted today at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

The EPA must still give an official fuel economy rating for the CX-5 diesel. But Kogai said it would be among the most fuel efficient rides in the small crossover segment, including hybrids.

No compromises

The fix came through adding a urea selective catalytic reduction, or SCR, treatment to scrub the exhaust of nitrogen oxides, Kogai said. Mazda was able to develop a compact SCR unit that not only reduced its cost but also reduced its impact on engine performance, he said. Further gains in performance came through various tweaks to reduce friction throughout the drivetrain.

Mazda spent five years measuring customer feedback to develop the upgrades to the North American diesel engine so that it would be sporty and clean, Kogai said.

Mazda is well aware of the uphill battle in convincing U.S. consumers of the charms of diesel now, after Volkswagen AG's rigged diesel emissions scandal tainted the technology's image.

Clean diesels account for only around 2.5 percent of the U.S. market, Kogai reckons.

There is the WOW news for me! Thank you for posting! 2017.5 CX-5 Diesel Option pretty much negates the possibility of the 2.5T landing in the CX-5 any time for the foreseeable future.

Damnit...this may actaully be the thing that makes me trade in.. even though I'm not a fan of the front clip. Maybe when I see it in person. Monster tuning is available for the sky already. Buy a larger IC and you can handle it. It would be great to roll coal on some of these big diesel truck fags around here from a "rice burner" lol. (drive2)

After the VW diesel debacle, I don't see the Mazda diesel selling that well. People in the US don't like or trust passenger vehicles diesels. VW put the last nail in that coffin.

I see the sales being VERY LOW for the diesel and then it will be dropped from the US market.

Real question is how many owners actually cared about the emissions concern of that debacle? I'm betting more were concerned about the price drop in value , and perceived "problems" that may have arise because it was such a big deal (i.e owners who don't really know about cars making a big deal).

Can someone cross reference some mpg abroad and translate some US mpg predictions with comparable configurations?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Saw the video by TFL it's barely recognizable : wood trim on doors upgraded leather. For the segment these are great features. Rear vents and recliner. 2017 is the year Mazda may eat one of rav4 crv rogue or escape. What a gem. Amazing!

Back