All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 To Be Previewed At Novembers Los Angeles Auto Show?

A 1.3 reduction in sound decibels is most likely undetectable. I like the interior, but the exterior looks like every other SUV on the road. They dumbed it down and made it to conservative looking from a side profile. The current model has a beautiful sculpted profile that stands out from the crowd.

How do you hype a completely new redesign and talk about the art of design instead of the new features added to the overall package. Totally underwhelmed by this presentation.

I looks the same as the old car to me?

US is at last getting the diesel in auto only according to the LA times, handling is also improved, along with paint finish.

Well, it's over. Mazda killed its handling. Did you all read that?!? "EXTRA sound deadening."

She's done for, now. Mazda was always about HANDLING, and that just went out the window. RIP CX-5.

Some of you will complain about anything.
Several say the CX 5's handling is going to be much worse.
How could you dolts even know about how it drives?

Sold my T100 yesterday and have 1500 on the Honda Ridgeline which is in the running for several TOTY awards and is exceeding my expectations on MPG and versatility.
Great move as the ROC forum doesn't seem to have hardly any whiners and malcontents unlike this venue.

Looks like I also traded at the perfect time (6 weeks ago) as the 2015s CXs are now the 'old' model.

Some of you will complain about anything.
Several say the CX 5's handling is going to be much worse.
How could you dolts even know about how it drives?

Sold my T100 yesterday and have 1500 on the Honda Ridgeline which is in the running for several TOTY awards and is exceeding my expectations on MPG and versatility.
Great move as the ROC forum doesn't seem to have hardly any whiners and malcontents unlike this venue.

Looks like I also traded at the perfect time (6 weeks ago) as the 2015s CXs are now the 'old' model.

Um. Did you not see "Extra sound deadening"?

According to this forum, that will destroy balance and handling. Seriously. Go look when I suggested it 6 months ago. Everyone shouted it down telling me how this was a race car and shouldn't be encumbered with such.

Seems like there's a bunch of whiny crybabies in here. As Awkward said, people will complain about anything I guess. Until there are actual test drives and reviews of this new model, you can't really say "OMG handling will be out the window" just because they added some sound deadening. Maybe some weight was saved elsewhere, who knows. The point is, YOU DON'T KNOW until you at least see some specifications, if nothing else.

We love our 2014 Touring that we got just a few months ago, and this new one looks like it will be a winner, also.

Um. Did you not see "Extra sound deadening"?

According to this forum, that will destroy balance and handling. Seriously. Go look when I suggested it 6 months ago. Everyone shouted it down telling me how this was a race car and shouldn't be encumbered with such.

Seems like there's a bunch of whiny crybabies in here. As Awkward said, people will complain about anything I guess. Until there are actual test drives and reviews of this new model, you can't really say "OMG handling will be out the window" just because they added some sound deadening. Maybe some weight was saved elsewhere, who knows. The point is, YOU DON'T KNOW until you at least see some specifications, if nothing else.

We love our 2014 Touring that we got just a few months ago, and this new one looks like it will be a winner, also.

Lets not jump to conclusions on handling here. We know Mazda added some much needed sound deadening. We don't know the weight. Even just 20lbs worth would make a difference with minimal effect to handling. Knowing Mazda they use sound deadening very sparingly. We also know its 15% stiffer. That could possibly entail the increased use of high-tensile steel for a stronger yet lighter frame.

We also know that Mazda prides itself in handling. The wider stance really helps in that regard.

A 1.3 reduction in sound decibels is most likely undetectable. I like the interior, but the exterior looks like every other SUV on the road. They dumbed it down and made it to conservative looking from a side profile. The current model has a beautiful sculpted profile that stands out from the crowd.

How do you hype a completely new redesign and talk about the art of design instead of the new features added to the overall package. Totally underwhelmed by this presentation.

Given the way the dB scale works, yes a 1.3 reduction could be VERY noticeable. Also they could have reduced the dB level around a particular frequency range, which can help make even more of a difference in perceived noise inside the cabin.

The noise reduction might not sound like a lot, but it is as it brings it in line with or better than competitors.

The "TOMBSTONE" LOL , display now matches the rest of the Mazda series.

The upgrade to additional color on the instrument cluster is much welcomed.

The weight of 20lbs of extra sound deadening is easily offset by using a lighter tire and wheel. It is not very hard to find a tire that weighs 2.5 lbs less and a wheel that is 2.5 lbs less, 5lbs x 4 corners... What worries me, is : Did the additional sound deadening happen to raise the vehicles center of gravity?

lol I've seen people here complaining that there's no panoramic roof option. That would raise the car's CoG far more than some extra sound insulation.

Casual observation, but some of the more negative posts here are from people who have '2016 CX-5' listed as their vehicle, so there's probably a good amount of confirmation bias going on.

That being said, the sarcasm of the one dude who said the extra sound deadening would completely ruin drivability completely flew over everyone's head

Casual observation, but some of the more negative posts here are from people who have '2016 CX-5' listed as their vehicle, so there's probably a good amount of confirmation bias going on.

That being said, the sarcasm of the one dude who said the extra sound deadening would completely ruin drivability completely flew over everyone's head

yup this is whats happening really..

you have been comfortable with your model not changing for several years now. enjoying that your car is still new because it hasn't changed. now reality is starting to set in that your car is no longer the top dog and that it is officially the OLD model. now inferior in everyway and you try to nitpick an find everything to downplay and just straight hate on the new model where you ask most of the rest of the world without this bias and the new cx5 is so much better. this design on the new model is as good as it gets in this price range. everything looks more refined both in and out. and finally a power liftgate, mazda has heard the general calling! you current cx5 owners downplay or give excuses why its not needed yet believe me the majority public would rather have it then without it.

the biggest sore losers it seems are the 2016 or 2016.5 owners who just bought their cx5 and either shocked that their car is already old not even a year after they bought it, or knowing damn well they bought theirs being informed a redesigned was just around the corner that they were ready to bring down the hate to justify why they didnt wait. or maybe they are mad that they couldve got a lot more discounts as mazda will try to rid of all the "old" cx5s and they missed that opportunity had they waited a few months.

dont worry this is normal and this can be seen from every car forum when the new version comes out.

The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of that framework that makes up our learning to live with it.

Last edited:
The weight of 20lbs of extra sound deadening is easily offset by using a lighter tire and wheel. It is not very hard to find a tire that weighs 2.5 lbs less and a wheel that is 2.5 lbs less, 5lbs x 4 corners... What worries me, is : Did the additional sound deadening happen to raise the vehicles center of gravity?

According to the press release, they actually dropped the center of gravity.
(http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2017-mazda-cx-5-global-press-materials/) It takes awhile to load though.

I am exception to the norm, I like sound insulation and the looks + agressive styling and I agree it will look great and rear AC vents for families are a good feature. What I dislike was interior looks - mostly the center infotainment center - but I keep hearing interior quality is good.
Having said that 17s will be more expensive if you compare with 16.5 for similar features + addons mentioned here. How much? I would say 1.5K USD.

My thoughts exactly. I knew he was being sarcastic.

Exterior:
I would have preferred if they kept the horizontal slots in the front grill. I also thought the plastic housing of the fog lighs on the current version were too big, particularly for the LED lights. So the new version looks slick... although I'll have to get used to the big space between the headlights (that shrunk) and the bottom of the bumper. The power rear lift gate also added. Not something I care for but it looks like many folks look for this feature and many competitors have it, so I guess it's good to be competitive.

Interior:
My biggest pet peeve with the interior of 2016 is the arm rest. it's insufficient for the driver and non-existing for the front passenger. They may have solved that but I can't really tell without sitting in the vehicle. I'm not sure if the new arm rest is forward enough. I noticed that there are now rear vents by the center arm rest, which is good news.

Could someone who values a power lift gate explain to me why? I hate having to wait for the darn things to open and close and would be happier without it.

Could someone who values a power lift gate explain to me why? I hate having to wait for the darn things to open and close and would be happier without it.

If you are above 70 years it is helpful, if you are under 5 feet 2 inches it is helpful, if you are special needs it is helpful. I used to have a neighbor with a special needs Sienna with the ramp, hard to maintain but was a necessity for him, he also had this feature.
Other than that this can be a good bonus add on but I would not compromise basic things like mpg / ride quality / re sale reliability over it.
Imho after raising a kid for 2 years this feature was really necessary maybe 5 times. And in future won't be necessary again.

If you are above 70 years it is helpful, if you are under 5 feet 2 inches it is helpful, if you are special needs it is helpful. I used to have a neighbor with a special needs Sienna with the ramp, hard to maintain but was a necessity for him, he also had this feature.
Other than that this can be a good bonus add on but I would not compromise basic things like mpg / ride quality / re sale reliability over it.
Imho after raising a kid for 2 years this feature was really necessary maybe 5 times. And in future won't be necessary again.

Good insights. Thanks.

Guys relax don't celebrate yet.
Called my dealer and told him I was butt hurt about this release.
He promised he would get Mazda to rollback some of the features.
Plus he convinced me as per numerology 2016.5 > 2017.
Alls good, now where is my crappy arm rest..

Back