All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 To Be Previewed At Novembers Los Angeles Auto Show?

Motorman has a tech talk with a Mazda engineer

Wow. So they're dropping the 2.0l and replacing it with the 2.2t diesel? 2.5l remains. Version 2 of the 2.2t diesel is rated at 170ish hp and 310lbft.

Since the 2.0 is dropping out of the US market...this talk of a manual version might not be available for the US?

Maybe this is why Dave Coleman asks, would we buy a 2.5l manual if it was an option?

Oh well, we will see but for the time being, some pdfs of the Euro diesel that you might find interesting. If anyone wants to look at something specific, let me know.

Man if Mazda pulls this off they would own the sub 30k diesel market in the U.S. If not it may backfire and would be negative publicity for them. A Lot riding on their most popular model. I'm rooting for them to stick it to the big car companies.

If Mazda actually pulls it off and makes a diesel CX-5, that would be the one thing that would make me trade mine in. I am of the opinion that it would last longer than the gas burner, and in the end, save me money.

I am probably in the minority but I have never really cared for the horizontal grille. Admittedly the honeycomb grille on my '15 is a PIA during hand wash time though

Perhaps the '17 grill was used to further differentiate the CX-5 from the CX-9 at a distance?

+1

I am probably in the minority but I have never really cared for the horizontal grille. Admittedly the honeycomb grille on my '15 is a PIA during hand wash time though

Perhaps the '17 grill was used to further differentiate the CX-5 from the CX-9 at a distance?

The Honeycomb grille does look good. Reminds me of the VW GTI from like 2008. Anyways the honey comb grille is a piece of cake using a brush and moderate water pressure. I then blow dry it with a leaf blower. In fact I use my leaf blower to dry my tires, rims, license plate, headlights, fogs, rear and tail lights, emblems, ect. Save time and is very effective.

I hoping to go petrol next time round, probably not another CX-5, but i might be tempted if they fit a 2.5T, but that's not going to happen in the UK, we only get the 2L option.
I'm looking at around 240 ps with 280 pound feet of torque that some german cars get. Along with the extra gears and more upto date infortainment systems.

I'd bet Europe will get it too. Testing methods are changing to be more realistic with goal of PEMS measured real world performance more closely lab results by 2021. A lot vehicles Euro-6 compliant currently perform much worse on real roads.

Mazda would never spend the time and money developing this just for the very tiny US market for passenger car diesels.

The pulling power is astonishing. 420Nm of torque.

Thats only a peak at 2000 rpm, at no other time do you see that figure, bit of a con really. The BMW 2L actually has more torque low down as does the new 4 cyl volvo 2L engine.

Its still a great engine, but the peak figure is just that. It gives around 400Nm from 1900rpm to 2600 rpm.

If Mazda actually pulls it off and makes a diesel CX-5, that would be the one thing that would make me trade mine in. I am of the opinion that it would last longer than the gas burner, and in the end, save me money.

Last longer?
Have you actually researched the numerous oil rise problems, i get a rise in sump oil of around 8mm in only 7K miles a year. Not a real problem for me but you do need to check oil levels weekly, and have oil changes at no longer than 7K miles IMO.

Last longer?
Have you actually researched the numerous oil rise problems, i get a rise in sump oil of around 8mm in only 7K miles a year. Not a real problem for me but you do need to check oil levels weekly, and have oil changes at no longer than 7K miles IMO.

xtrail did you have the Diesel software update and diesel filter changed? Did you notice an improvement in oil levels?

My first 2013 cx5 did have a little more oil rise say 2mm, and yes it was all upto date with the C type dip stick etc. I got rid at just over 2 years due to having the brake vacumm pump fail a wear test, this can lead to metal bits into the engine and turbos, early cars also had failing sensors and prematuring cam wear.

Latest 2015 reg car is slightly better. And gets its first service next week.

It will be interesting to read the US owners comments after a year of ownership.

xtrail did you have the Diesel software update and diesel filter changed? Did you notice an improvement in oil levels?

Thanks for those back in 2013 i couldn't find any torque curve, so got mazda UK to email me an excel grath.

Yes its a great tow car, I've towed 1565kg for over 3 years and have on order a 1636kg caravan for next year, I'm confident it will perform just as well.
But if you look at the Discovery sport it has 180ps, with a lot more torque and at lower revs, so should be even better.

The DS is rated highly in the UK above such as the X3, its top of its group.
The present CX-5 is now running in 3rd place in the solo ratings behind the tiguan and X1, so it will be interesting to see if the updated cx-5 can beat them, but i doubt it myself.
IMO mazda need to increase the power and torque, and add extra gears, the rear seat bench also needs to have fore and aft adjustment to meet the competition.

Here it the torque curve.
The 2.5L has 185 lb-ft or 250 Nm of max torque.

Compare with the 2.5L:

This should feel amazing to drive and can definitely pull it and a large trailer off :)

Thanks for those back in 2013 i couldn't find any torque curve, so got mazda UK to email me an excel grath.

Yes its a great tow car, I've towed 1565kg for over 3 years and have on order a 1636kg caravan for next year, I'm confident it will perform just as well.
But if you look at the Discovery sport it has 180ps, with a lot more torque and at lower revs, so should be even better.

The DS is rated highly in the UK above such as the X3, its top of its group.
The present CX-5 is now running in 3rd place in the solo ratings behind the tiguan and X1, so it will be interesting to see if the updated cx-5 can beat them, but i doubt it myself.
IMO mazda need to increase the power and torque, and add extra gears, the rear seat bench also needs to have fore and aft adjustment to meet the competition.
Not wishing to contradict but the DS is woefully unreliable so I’ll stick to my jap car thanks. The oil dilution on mine isn’t bad. It depends whether the regeneration gets interrupted but I changed my oil at 6000 miles (6 months) and it had gone up by about 8mm (5/16”) where the limit is about 25mm? If the new model comes out with adblue, maybe the post injection can be dispensed with.

Not wishing to contradict but the DS is woefully unreliable so I'll stick to my jap car thanks. The oil dilution on mine isn't bad. It depends whether the regeneration gets interrupted but I changed my oil at 6000 miles (6 months) and it had gone up by about 8mm (5/16”) where the limit is about 25mm? If the new model comes out with adblue, maybe the post injection can be dispensed with.

adblue is for nox only.
As the DS has only recently been launched there isnt sufficiant data yet to say whether its reliable. But the cx-5 has more problems than any jap car i've owned now on number 8.

Last longer?

I'm used to a real diesel. I have not researched a Mazda diesel.

I'm used to a real diesel. I have not researched a Mazda diesel.

Domestic truck diesel debates probably create some of the longest threads. I'd definitely steer clear of Ford's mid 2000's 6.0L Navistar diesel.
If I was in market for that level of diesel I'd probably opt for the GM/Isuzu Duramax motor.... although the new Cummins in the Nissan Titan might be compelling too. I really don't have towing needs that exceed 4K lbs so just a waste for me.

2 out of 2 ladies I have told so far about the new Diesel Engine coming, both wrinkled their nose and asked "will a gas engine still be available?"

So I know it will be a hurdle for sales in the US to reach full acceptance. Not to mention the service technicians that now need to learn diesels.

Back