435 miles on a tank

I'm on my third tank of gas.

Yeah, I'm trying to go for the holy grail of 30mpg, I've gotten 27.5, but my biggest obstacle is my wife. She gets all pissed at me when I'm going 45mph on the freeway. I tell her to ignore the people honking, but, you know ...

Anyone else have the same problem?

One thing I noticed about filling up. If I fill any faster than the first position on the handle, fuel comes shooting out of the filler and goes all over the car. Talk about a good way to piss a guy off the first night he has a new car. Gas went all over me! So I fill at the slow postion until it shuts off and that's it.
Rex, I have the same issue with my 5. When I first bought it, I took it back to be looked at and they replaced the filler tube and some other part in the fuel system but I forget what. Seemed to temporarily fix the issue, but it came right back after a month or so. Must be some kind of design flaw? Some here have expressed complaints, some don't have this issue. Who knows!

I pump full speed ahead until I get to the 10 gallon mark, then I back off to 1/2 flow, if not less, until the first click. As you've discovered, simply pumping slower takes care of it.

I have my in-laws this weekend and we are planning a relatively long trip with the cargo box, so 5 passengers and a cargo box, let's see how many GPM I get ;)
I vote 9 mpg, lol (ugh)

...but my biggest obstacle is my wife. She gets all pissed at me when I'm going 45mph on the freeway. I tell her to ignore the people honking, but, you know ... Anyone else have the same problem?
meh... just ignore your wife! lol Seriously, I too think it's insanity if you're doing 45mph on say, a 65mph road... I mean in PA you are required to use your flashers at 40mph or less! But if you're doing like 5 maybe 10 under, others will think you're a granny, but it's at least not as dangerous. ;)

I go the speed limit generally, and still get aggressively passed at times, especially during rush hour. People don't know me so I don't care if they think the loser behind the wheel is a granny. Now OTOH, you live/eat/sleep with your wife, so do what'cha gotta do to keep the peace under the roof (bowdown)

Last edited:
damn those are nice mpg's im kinda jealous my last tank in the msp lasted me 179 miles haha

I'm on my third tank of gas.

Yeah, I'm trying to go for the holy grail of 30mpg, I've gotten 27.5, but my biggest obstacle is my wife. She gets all pissed at me when I'm going 45mph on the freeway. I tell her to ignore the people honking, but, you know ...

I may not sound like a normal husband, but listen to your wife!

45MPH is dangerous, it is not worth the savings, serious :D. Keep it at the speed limit 60-65MPH and that gives the top gas mileage if you read along some posts.

With all the talk about hypermiling on the cleanmpg.com forums, I pumped up the 5's tire pressure to 42psi all around after they were warmed up. Max pressure is rated at 44psi w/max load.

The car is at half a tank right now with 250 miles traveled. I'll see how much better mileage it will get. :)

On our trip to Hilton Head Island last summer we averaged aroun 30.5 mpg with a high of 33 mpg and a low of 28.5mpg.

Just got back from work trip to Vegas...the results are.....

L.A to Vegas (plus a little city driving) a whopping = 33.2 mpg
Doing around 65 to 70 mph...... (five-0)

Vegas to LA = 29.5mpg (freak)
The big drop was cause of the high winds the way back, had it on
cruise control felt the engine working hard....

THIS IS BETTER THAN MY JETTA 1.8T!!!!

I am currently at 408 miles with NO light on yet...I haven't seen a 500 miler in the thread...might have to try...wife has car today, so we'll see if the light went on while she had it...appeared to have 10-15 miles left before the light. Have had a 32mpg tank and this current tank will put me over the 29 mpg listed in my signature. Also...last fill up was 2.95/gal. currently at 4000 miles.

well I woulda had a 500mile'r easily if I hadn't filled up in Kansas I bet. Downhill from Denver to Kansas at 65mph got 40mpg... 170miles on first 1/4.. woot. I'd love to test that again, thought my gauge was broke or something till I filled up.

2008 Mazda5 5MT: 305miles tank, low gas light was already red, not yellow (wow)

:D

wait...the low fuel light also turns red? I didn't read that...How much fuel from when it goes red?

wait...the low fuel light also turns red? I didn't read that...How much fuel from when it goes red?

Ooops, I was just kidding, figurative speak meaning it was already running with the gas vapors at the time of filling up ;), yellow is the only color we'll see...

whew...thought I missed something...lol. I thought to myself...I don't think I've ever let it get that empty yet...I usually say that it's past E, all the way to D.

Back