435 miles on a tank

Just used up the 1st tank of gas since I picked up the car last week. Drove exactly 400 Kms (90% city) before needing to fill up. Drove 12 Kms after the low gas red indicator came on. Needed 48.5 Ltrs to fill the tank back up.

I just got 40ish mpg at 70ish mph. I got a pic I'll have to post it... was like 170miles right at 1/4 tank used. Was downhill from Denver to Hayes. I also went through a good stretch in Wyoming at 55 +/- 5mph due to bad weather and got 160ish miles on the first 1/4. I've found the gas gauge to shockingly be more accurate and consistent than any car I've owned before. The gas light comes on and its always 12.5ish gallons. Also we've gotten a rock solid 25mpg since we bought the car in city driving. Here in Boise we don't do a lot of interstate driving so its a good rep of "city" driving.

da1nonly said:
I seem to average about 9.5L/100KM...

I would be satisfied with that. Actually, I went from 14.something to exactly 13 in a month (always same driving). I'm going on a long ride next weekend, so I expect it will be much better when I'll come back.

If I can get about 10 with my driving (4 persons in the car, city driving), I'll be more than happy!

cron said:
I would be satisfied with that. Actually, I went from 14.something to exactly 13 in a month (always same driving). I'm going on a long ride next weekend, so I expect it will be much better when I'll come back.

If I can get about 10 with my driving (4 persons in the car, city driving), I'll be more than happy!

Just got back and made 9.07 and 9.03 liters/100 km on the highway (plus 25% driving in the city). I'm impressed. I kept it at 117km/h on the highway with the cruise control.

Filled it up during the week and got a chance to do a quick calculation (odometer vs. pump reading). In our case gas station locations vary, yet I got a a decent ~24.5MPG, mostly city driving. It is hilly around here so I was expecting of a worse number, but hey, can't complain :)

358.7mi. / 12.188gal = 29.43 MPG. 75% City driving

Oh so close to the holy grail of 30MPG, but not quite... maybe this next tank (second)

Skylab, what do you do to get that kind of mileage on the trip odo? What type/speed of roads are you on? How many clicks to you go through when topping off? I'm intrigued as to how you're getting so freekin close to 500 mi on a tank! (wow)

Last edited:
jandree22 said:
358.7mi. / 12.188gal = 29.43 MPG. 75% City driving

Oh so close to the holy grail of 30MPG, but not quite... maybe this next tank (second)

Skylab, what do you do to get that kind of mileage on the trip odo? What type/speed of roads are you on? How many clicks to you go through when topping off? I'm intrigued as to how you're getting so freekin close to 500 mi on a tank! (wow)

Ok, it's like this(and yes, it will sound kind of corny):

1. You have to believe that good gas mileage is achievable. I'm very light on the gas pedal.

2. Don't ever go over 65mph on the freeway.

3. Use cruise control on the freeway most of the time. Drive in the slow lane. Leave on time, or early, so you won't be late...thereby eliminating the need to speed.

4. Coast whenever possible! I live in San Diego, and yes, there are plenty of hills/mountains here. My commute is about 20 miles each way...whenever there is a downhill, I put the car in neutral and coast...you'd be surprised how fast your car will coast downhill...easily at 65mph, sometimes faster! On the way to my job, at least 2 miles of that is coasting...that's collectively. Obviously, on the way home, I can't do that, because I'm going back uphill somewhat.

5. Having a manual transmission helps. I guess you could try this with an auto...your results may vary.

6. I top the tank off all the way to the very top, untill a little bit of fuel is visible right by where the cap screws on. My local gas station has pumps w/out the springs in the nozzle...so it's easy to top off. A fillup is usually 14.7 gallons. Yes, I run it close to being empty, but there are so many gas stations around here, there's no fear of running empty.

That about sums it up...

2006 Mazda 5 (16,600 miles) My Mazda 5's Average Fuel Economy: 30.8mpg's on 14.7 gallons of gas

oh, and here's the stats on the supposed MPG ratings for the Mazda 5:

EPA Fuel Economy:

Fuel Type: Regular Gasoline

MPG (city) 22

MPG (highway) 27

MPG (combined)24

Average User MPG
Disclaimer

Miles on a Tank: 343 miles
(boom08)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Good luck!

Last edited:
Great, thanks for that detailed reply! #3 is usually my Achilles heel this morning for example (although I was in the Solara ;))

Ive been trying some of those particularly feathering the throttle, coasting down hills, and keeping at < 65mph. This is a good time of year because I can keep the ACC off, too. This is looking to be a good tank, Im at 45 miles and the needles still a bit above the Full line. Its kind of disturbing how addicted Ive been to high FE numbers lately :)

well this last outing is the best i've done since i've owned it ...

GS Auto - 70% hwy (110-120km/hr) ...

8.5L/100km = 27.7 MPG...

not even close to 30mpg but decent enuff... hoping it still gets better...

Attachments

• PDR_0969.JPG
    PDR_0969.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 171
be careful when topping off!!!

Skylab said:
Ok, it's like this(and yes, it will sound kind of corny):

1. You have to believe that good gas mileage is achievable. I'm very light on the gas pedal.

2. Don't ever go over 65mph on the freeway.

3. Use cruise control on the freeway most of the time. Drive in the slow lane. Leave on time, or early, so you won't be late...thereby eliminating the need to speed.

4. Coast whenever possible! I live in San Diego, and yes, there are plenty of hills/mountains here. My commute is about 20 miles each way...whenever there is a downhill, I put the car in neutral and coast...you'd be surprised how fast your car will coast downhill...easily at 65mph, sometimes faster! On the way to my job, at least 2 miles of that is coasting...that's collectively. Obviously, on the way home, I can't do that, because I'm going back uphill somewhat.

5. Having a manual transmission helps. I guess you could try this with an auto...your results may vary.

6. I top the tank off all the way to the very top, untill a little bit of fuel is visible right by where the cap screws on. My local gas station has pumps w/out the springs in the nozzle...so it's easy to top off. A fillup is usually 14.7 gallons. Yes, I run it close to being empty, but there are so many gas stations around here, there's no fear of running empty.

That about sums it up...

2006 Mazda 5 (16,600 miles) My Mazda 5's Average Fuel Economy: 30.8mpg's on 14.7 gallons of gas

oh, and here's the stats on the supposed MPG ratings for the Mazda 5:

EPA Fuel Economy:

Fuel Type: Regular Gasoline

MPG (city) 22

MPG (highway) 27

MPG (combined)24

Average User MPG
Disclaimer

Miles on a Tank: 343 miles
(boom08)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Good luck!

i had my mazda 3 get a check engine light go off from overfilling (thank god it was under warantee)... if you overfill, there is a sensor in the gas tank that can be damaged... (attn) oh, and my 5 averages about 25 to 26 mpg (i can baby her and get it up to about 28)...

thats a really good way to kill off the evap system.

i had my mazda 3 get a check engine light go off from overfilling (thank god it was under warantee)... if you overfill, there is a sensor in the gas tank that can be damaged... oh, and my 5 averages about 25 to 26 mpg (i can baby her and get it up to about 28)...

I think your lucky they fixed it. I think it says in the manual to not do that and they know what causes that damage. It wasn't Mazda's fault you overfilled it. I hope my dealership is that forgiving.

Wytchdctr said:
thats a really good way to kill off the evap system.

I'm aware of this...this is the fourth car I've done this with, and perhaps I'm playing russian roulette, but there's never been a problem with any of the cars before. (125,000mi. on one of them)

How long will it take for something to go wrong?

Skylab said:
I'm aware of this...this is the fourth car I've done this with, and perhaps I'm playing russian roulette, but there's never been a problem with any of the cars before. (125,000mi. on one of them)

its a hit and miss thing.... I got my car serviced in NJ, so I think they fix these things under warantee as a rule... (most of NJ is full serve at the gas pumps)

WhiteStar III said:
Best recorded mpg was near 32mpg, but I discount that as it was early into ownership, and I never had any true indication as to how much fuel the tank could take (until recently); but I have gotten above 30 with some regularity.

Addendum: With the weather warming up I have been able to achieve 31-32 mpg lately with no change in driving style or route. In winter some of the tanks had averaged 27.5mpg. Never seen that much disparity in any other vehicle I have owned.

14,639mi - 504.486gal - 29.02 mpg

Skylab said:

Per my experience, your not even close to being empty. Your filling up right after the low fuel warning light comes on (2.5gal left). I fill up the same way you do and have gotten 17 gal in there by the time I get to see the fuel.

I don't worry about the evap system because I still have to drive rougly 11 mi home (which should cost me rougly a .333gal).

Skylab said:

depends on the car and how the evap system is setup. Ive done it on accident with my car a few times and no CEL. I do know of more than a few people that caused atleast a CEL and a few more that caused damage. That and if you are a green peace type person the evap system cannot function correctly like that, so your releasing gas fumes into the air. As if opening the gas cap doesn't do that already.

Well, no where close to some of the numbers thrown down so far in this thread, but for the first time I've crossed the 400mi/tank threshold, woot! I don't drive too far past the gas light and I stop filling at the first click of the pump, so as you can see below a tank for me usually ends around 13 gallons.

Filled up at 408.5mi. / 13.073gal. = 31.25mpg... welcome back summer! (thumb)

401milesTank.jpg

Good deal! We never go an entire tank to E without filling up so I don't have any big numbers for miles on a tank.

I've had about 5 tanks over 30 MPG, one was right at 31 MPG.

One thing I noticed about filling up. If I fill any faster than the first position on the handle, fuel comes shooting out of the filler and goes all over the car. Talk about a good way to piss a guy off the first night he has a new car. Gas went all over me! So I fill at the slow postion until it shuts off and that's it.

I've been experementing with blending some fuel and I have not seen any degrade in mileage. I may go back to E10 fuel only soon and see if it makes any difference.

(wow). I've seen those numbers, but when I forget to reset the trip odometer :D

I have my in-laws this weekend and we are planning a relatively long trip with the cargo box, so 5 passengers and a cargo box, let's see how many GPM I get ;)

Latest posts

Back