ZOOM ZOOM and break in discussion

:
K2500 Diesel Suburban; 2016 CX5 GT
It's Saturday morning and I woke up thinking.. Dangerous place to be. :) Curious how people drive their cars. A couple weeks back someone posted their driving experience when first getting their new car. I questioned them driving their car what appeared to be a little hard for a brand new car. I remember a long time ago someone saying that how you break in your car will determine how your car performs over time. To me that meant if you beat on your car you will start to burn oil quicker because of more wear and not giving the rings a chance to properly seat.. to him it had something to do with the car learning your style and have more power as she breaks in . Curious what other people's thoughts. I currently drive a K2500 series diesel suburban. Strong as a bull but far away from zoom zoom.. I drive it like a truck with pretty slow starts and such. I also have an '80 corvette with a 4 speed. You can't drive that car conservatively. It seems to run better when you stretch out between gear shifts. What's the story with Mazda's? I've read where writers state it's an "engaging" car to drive. I read that to mean it's fun to drive which usually translates into faster starts, faster in the corners, etc.. Is the CX-5 designed for engaging driving type drivers? Will a slow driving kind of person enjoy or get the benefit of the CX-5 design?

. Is the CX-5 designed for engaging driving type drivers? Will a slow driving kind of person enjoy or get the benefit of the CX-5 design?

I can answer part of this question. My wife and I discovered good handling cars in1969 in the form of a BMW 1600 We wanted it after the first test drive. Since then neither of us have been willing to settle for anything that didn't handle well. BTW The average American car back then would be considered unsafe today just based on the steering but that is another story. I liked good handling cars because I could drive them aggressively. Think a twisty back road at a good speed. My wife is a very conservative driver. Slow starts gradual slow turns, very smooth. More then a few times she has complained that the brakes were noisey or the car was coughing and my fix was to take the car out and DRIVE it. Let the carb open up all the way, get the brake pads HOT etc. There fixed it dear. In spite of her driving style she insists on a good handling car even as a passenger she can feel the difference and will pick a good tight responsive car every time.

BTW if I love sports car handling, what am I doing in a crossover SUV? I am 6'6" and I have some back issues that making sitting in a low car very uncomfortable. I found that when I rode in friends SUVs or pickups I didn't hurt. After a lot of searching I found my way to the CX-5 The combination of the sitting position and the fun good handling Zoom Zoom was so special that the CX-5 is the first car I ever bought new.

With modern metalurgy is there a need for a break in period? I've never treated any new car any differently, whether it had 100 miles on it, or 10,000, and I'm 75 so there's been quite a few cars.. I did make sure to do that initial oil change on time. I do believe that is very important.

It's Saturday morning and I woke up thinking.. Dangerous place to be. :) Curious how people drive their cars. A couple weeks back someone posted their driving experience when first getting their new car. I questioned them driving their car what appeared to be a little hard for a brand new car. I remember a long time ago someone saying that how you break in your car will determine how your car performs over time. To me that meant if you beat on your car you will start to burn oil quicker because of more wear and not giving the rings a chance to properly seat.. to him it had something to do with the car learning your style and have more power as she breaks in . Curious what other people's thoughts. I currently drive a K2500 series diesel suburban. Strong as a bull but far away from zoom zoom.. I drive it like a truck with pretty slow starts and such. I also have an '80 corvette with a 4 speed. You can't drive that car conservatively. It seems to run better when you stretch out between gear shifts. What's the story with Mazda's? I've read where writers state it's an "engaging" car to drive. I read that to mean it's fun to drive which usually translates into faster starts, faster in the corners, etc.. Is the CX-5 designed for engaging driving type drivers? Will a slow driving kind of person enjoy or get the benefit of the CX-5 design?

Some good thoughts and lots of differing opinions on these subjects...

As far as the initial "Break-in" period, I am firm in believing that you must not drive like a race car test driver, or either like the neighborhood ice cream man. Drive normal, don't floor it from every stoplight, and don't be testing out the ABS unless needed.

As far as the CX-5 is with engaging driving type drivers: I believe that the entire Mazda brand embodies this premise and is also part of the reason Mazda struggles to capture more buyers. Some people enjoy driving marshmallows, and others enjoy driving a car, whereas some people do not know yet that they can enjoy driving. Mazda has almost always produced vehicles that are engaging, but with a slight hit to reliability or fuel economy. Now they have really worked very hard with the Skyactiv engine and body platform series to bring the reliability halo to the Mazda brand, while also providing safety, improved fuel economy, and engaging driving dynamics.
That being said, a slow driving kind of person will not receive all of it's benefits, however I think most still enjoy that "connected with the road" feeling you get in CX-5.

You must not be talking about me cuz I didn't say anything about the car "learning my style" and "having more power after she breaks in". This was the exchange.

Koz60- "I gotta ask the question. Is this good for the car? With under 500 miles and loaded with break in fluid I know you should vary speed but sound like you took a whip to her. And I'm not talking about after you put the seats down. ��. Sounded like fun but had to ask."

Me- "Yeah maybe a bit harsh but the road is so windy you can't got that fast anyway. I'll take her easy for a while....After consulting the owners manual, page 3-41 indicates that no special break in period is required but suggests a few precautions in the first 600 miles. Don't race the engine, no constant speed for a long period, no high rpm for a long period, no hard stops, no full throttle starts, no towing. Figure I'm good for the most part but thanks for the word of caution."

Anyway I haven't pushed her since and I'm at 525 mi so I can loosen up a bit in another 75 mi.

You must not be talking about me cuz I didn't say anything about the car "learning my style" and "having more power after she breaks in". This was the exchange...

Hi Bob-Loblaw... you were part of my original post but you were not the one I was talking about when I made this statement. I heard that statement MANY years ago. I also want to somewhat apologize for saying something too. I know you were really enjoying your car and didn't want to put a damper or concern on your fun. Hope I didn't.

fdew: We're from the same school.. :) I drive my Suburban to work every day and it's mainly on back roads doing 45to 50 mph.. About half way to work I get on a highway for a couple exits. It's got a long straight approach ramp that I sometimes blow out the soot. It's not a stomp to the floor but an aggressive pedal at start and then gradually asking for more. Keeps the truck from shifting and it's amazing how much crap blows out. Especially if I haven't done it for a while.

I've taken the CX-5 for a couple test drives and I liked it. I didn't beat on it at all. Didn't take it on any winding roads. Mostly 2 lane traffic roads, a little off road into some deep snow and a short ride on a highway to test the I-Activesense options. I plan on purchasing one as soon as Mazda offers an incentive. Coming from a generation of VROOM VROOM I was wondering if I would enjoy a ZOOM ZOOM vehicle. :) Appreciate the responses.

Hi Bob-Loblaw... you were part of my original post but you were not the one I was talking about when I made this statement. I heard that statement MANY years ago. I also want to somewhat apologize for saying something too. I know you were really enjoying your car and didn't want to put a damper or concern on your fun. Hope I didn't.

Not at all. I knew you were just asking a question and I genuinly appreciated the word of caution. I was so excited with the new car and it's surprising performance I could have easily lost my head so thanks again. (headbang). And good luck with the new car search. Keep us posted.

i don't thrash a car on a test drive. I know it is new and someone is going to buy it. I do push it through some turns and I always ask permission and then swerve quickly around some imaginary cones. It is amazing what you can learn from that. BTW. The best test drive ever was with a sales lady who also taught high speed driving at watkins glen. I was looking at a used Saab. Half way through she gave me directions to a back road and said you know what your doing go ahead and push it hard.

Not going to preach at best method but gentle method has treated me well over the years. I would have a hard time at this point of my life shifting to the drive-it-like-you stole it method.

Last edited:
Other than not needlessly stepping on it and braking it too hard, I don't think there is much to worry about in breaking in a new CX-5. Even just driving it on cruise control on semi-hilly terrain forces the car to shift into lower and higher RPMs, and that is all that is needed IMO; not a change in speed, but a change in RPMs. I've only put it to the floor once since I've had it, and all it did was snap up the RPM to about 6,000. So I just step on it enough to let it shift into the next gear, and then sit back and enjoy the ride as it zooms right past the vehicle you are passing.

One thing I have done religiously for the last 4 cars I've bought is to do the first oil change early. Most don't, but even some so-called experts say there is something to the theory that there are increased filings in the engine when it is new, and the sooner you drain them out the better. But of course, others say that is all just a bunch of BS. My only supportive evidence for doing the first oil change early is that I've never had to add a drop of oil in any of my last 4 cars.

Last edited:
I find this thread interesting. I've always tried to adhere to the break-in instructions on my new cars but I also like to open it up once or twice before the first oil change (usually around 1,000 miles or so). More for curiosity sake and to get to know the car and it's limitations better.

I floored the Mazda for the first time in sport mode / manual (0-60 on straight country road) the other day. It just hit around 1,800 miles so triple the mileage recommended in the manual. I was very impressed - it definitely took me by surprise a little - so much so that I shifted out of first gear a little late and the computer took over and suspended the acceleration until I shifted (were talking about < half second or so). I would have thought it should have shifted for you instead of just stalling the acceleration (my Subaru does that) but it didn't. Maybe I didn't delay long enough for it to.

That will probally be it for a while, I just wanted to experience how it would do.

My only concern was later down the road (maybe 5 minutes or so of calm 50mph driving) I was playing around and re-clicked on the sport mode and it blinked on the dash, and then didn't engage. I waited 30 seconds and tried again and it went on fine. I've tried a half dozen or so more times since then and havent had any issues - but thought that was odd.

At 77 years old and many new vehicles, I believe in a moderate break-in including a few 0-3000 rpm heavy throttle runs. The break-in period is to polish and burnish the rubbing parts and that includes the transmission and differential. I sell my vehicle at ~ 100,000 miles running well without any need to add oil during a 6,000 mile oil change. Ed

Back