Yokohama AVID ENVigor 205-50-17 first impressions.

:
2015 Soul Red 6 Sport Auto 2016 Accord EX Auto
I was originally planning to get a set of Kumho's new PA31 tire as they tested well on the Tire Rack's website and had mostly favorable reviews and were available at an incredibly low price:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=179

(Seems the impressions from the test were pretty accurate to how I feel about the tire as you read on below.)

I have been satisfied with Kumhos in the past but I was not comfortable with these being made in China so I then looked at Kumho's LX Platinum which was also priced well but decided it may be too mild of a tire for the MZ5. So I went up in price to a more aggressive tire, the Yoko Avid Envigor:

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/avid_envigor

These replaced the absolutely worn OEM Toyo Proxes A18s that came on the car. Walking up to the car the tire looks a lot wider than the stock Toyos mostly due to the built in rim protector and partly due to the tread pattern. These also start out at 11/32" tread depth versus the 10/32" Toyos. Pulling away from the store, the steering is a lot lighter, with less feel, and the tires seem more isolated, giving the impression the road is lined with felt.

At low speeds over expansion strips and bumps the tires feel both softer and harder at the same time. They are louder with a pronounced thump over bumps, and then the softer sidewall gives resulting in a slightly springy sensation. These tires also weigh 2 lbs more than the Toyos which brings the unsprung weight up a tad.

Once up to speed it is clear these have lower rolling resistance than the Toyos as the car coasts quite a bit easier off the throttle. The soft feel at low speeds is very noticeable as the wheel now has a lot less feel and somewhat delayed response to input. The tires are quiet emitting a soft high frequency hiss, and feel very smooth and soft over smooth pavement. On expansion joints and bumps at speed they do still emit an audible thump making the ride seem a little harder than what you feel in the seat of the pants. At speeds of 70+ all you hear now is wind noise and a distant hiss.

I drove 60 miles today in dry, wet, and snow at cold temperatures (10-15F). Overall grip is good in the dry and even better in the wet. Just so-so on packed snow and ice, a little better in slushy and deep snow. Overall I think it's a decent tire for the money but I am disappointed in the steering feel. This is my wife's car so I don't drive it too much but if it were my primary I might think about taking advantage of the 30 day trial guarantee and go for something a little firmer with better steering feel. She drove it today and is happy to have the old worn, loud, vibrating Toyos off the car. I will most likely go with a 16" wheel/snow set next fall.

I'm done with Kumho, just had a LX Platinum separate after about 30K; it showed heavy wear on inside shoulder -- I had them religiously rotated at every oil change too (alignment after installed new too). It may have been a fluke, but I'm done with Kuhmo. Hope the Yokohama's work out for you.

Nice review. Did you consider Conti Pure Contacts?

I just mounted a set of 16" PA31 on the Fit this weekend. It's been <100 miles but the 4x I had on my previous Sport has better dry traction but the PA31 has the better comfort trade off.

My current GT came with Platinum LX. I don't know how many miles they had but were 5-6/32 when I acquired the car. Traction was not sporty by any means BUT it was very quiet even down to 3-4/32 However, one tire developed a huge bubble on the sidewall. Kumhos are affordable for a reason. They are hard to beat value wise.

Nice review. Did you consider Conti Pure Contacts?

I just mounted a set of 16" PA31 on the Fit this weekend. It's been <100 miles but the 4x I had on my previous Sport has better dry traction but the PA31 has the better comfort trade off.

My current GT came with Platinum LX. I don't know how many miles they had but were 5-6/32 when I acquired the car. Traction was not sporty by any means BUT it was very quiet even down to 3-4/32 However, one tire developed a huge bubble on the sidewall. Kumhos are affordable for a reason. They are hard to beat value wise.

I did consider the Contis, and this tire was recommended by a couple different tire places. From a tire rack test:

What We Liked: Direct steering feel and excellent wet weather traction
What We'd Improve: Reduce road noise a little

The original Toyos were so loud I didn't want anything that wasn't considered silent so I passed on these. My main criteria for the car was good wet weather grip, quiet, and good steering feel. In hindsight the MZ5 is not well insulated so the Contis might have been the better choice. Newer tech, better steering feel, and a bump in fuel economy for about $40-50 more.

I could only find a couple reviews of the PA31 on the forums and only found two, one was a Fit owner asking about them and the other on a Legacy GT. The reviews on tire rack's site were all over the place, love or hate, and nothing in the middle. I liked the price, but am still not confident in Chinese tires.

I have had numerous Kumhos over the years. R-comps, summer, and all seasons and they have always been good tires, especially considering the price. I went up from the Platinums as I was concerned they were too much of a grand touring tire and not suited to the MZ5's suspension tuning. The next step up from the Yokos were the Contis or the Pirelli P7. Another forum member here told me his local dealer highly recommends the Platinum LX for the MZ5.

*Update*
Wife took 5+ luggage out of town this weekend, and hit snow/ice conditions poor enough to shut down I65 for several hours forcing them to take unplowed rural country roads home for the last 100 miles and reports these tires were beasts in the snow.

Last edited:
My wife hit a curb last week and tore 2" gash on one of our Dunlop Wintersport 3D. Unfortunately the size are not in stock anywhere so I was forced to run our all season tires. We just got a set of Pirelli P7 Cinturato All season plus last fall so I reluctantly put the set back on. Yesterday we travel to Detroit Auto Show and a lot of the road have blowing drifting snow. I was surprised at how good The Pirelli P7 Cinturaro All Season Plus did on snow for all season tire. Its about 26-28 Deg F yesterday and the snow are powdery. Haven't got the chance to test on slushy snow yet. I might just abandon the dual setup and use this tire all season now.

The winter are definitely better on snow. The most noticeable it braking. The braking threshold of the wintersport 3D are a bit higher and does not activate the ABS as soon but the difference are not that much. My previous all season are scary on snow and switching to winter tire are worlds of difference.
Actually almost bought avid evigor from tirerack before but discount tire have a big sale on the pirelli last October and they recommend this over the evigor so we pull the trigger.

Latest posts

Back