Pirelli Scorpion as plus 3 on CX-5 reviews?

I completed 31k on my toyo tires a36 i want to swap the tires with pirelli scorpion as plus 3 on my 2023 cx5 s carbon edition, does steering feel less tighter to turn than toyo tire if i swap with pirelli scorpion as plus 3, my main concern with toyo tires it feels tighter to turn in cold compared hot weather will the issue will be solved after pirelli’s installed? And also i want hear the review about pirelli scorpion as plus 3 tire on cx5

I got rid of the toyos at around 20k. I couldn't take them anymore. I replaced them with the scorpions on my 16. I've put about 22k on the scorps and they've been great. Haven't noticed any difference between cold and hot weather. Not sure what you're experiencing.

The scorps are quiet, handling is great and wet roads are no problem.

After 31k on the toyos any tire will be an big improvement.

Glad to hear you're liking the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's on a CX-5; I've had them on my wife's Volvo XC-60 for almost 2 years now and I'm very pleased with them also.
I've got 40k on my OEM Toyo's and I'll probably get another 5k or so out of them before I get the Pirellis's. The A36's are definitely a low-end tire but mine have been OK so far. I generally only take the Mazda on nice days; I've got 2014 Sequoia with 240k miles that I drive on rainy/snowy days.

Also, I've never noticed a difference in the steering feel whether it's cold or hot outside so I wouldn't be too quick to blame that on the tires.

I had a new set of Pirelli Scorpions on my 2011 Escape (traded on 24 CX5 sig). The scorpions were GREAT tires on the Escape solving the road noise problem. I really dislike the Toyo that came on my '24 signature. I am getting all sorts of noise.

Very interested in getting Pirrelis for the CX5. My main concern is handling then road noise.

Personally I am confused about the steering hot vs cold. Is that a thing? I've never noticed that in any car I've had.

If the "tighter to turn" means more steering effort, maybe it's because of lowered tire pressure when the colder outside temperature dropped the pressure. Higher inflation pressure (which comes with warmer outside temperatures also) makes tires easier to steer. Tire pressures need to be adjusted for seasonal temperature changes.
I remember the rule of thumb being the tire pressure changes 1 PSI for each 9 degrees (F) (up or down) of ambient temperature change and that's just parked. Driving, especially highway speeds and or hot asphalt would naturally raise it even more.

Last edited:
I am planning to get new 3-season tires this year for my '22 to replace the OEM Yokohama's (225/65-17). Based on reviews I've read here and elsewhere, these Pirelli's are at the top of my short list.

If you're looking for OEM sizes they are probably a good buy, based on the feedback I've seen here.

I went further and changed my wheels so I could run Continental DWS06 Plus.

I had stock yokos on my 18 sport and 19 touring. What a crappy tire. Replaced them with scorpions, huge difference. Great handling wet or dry, very quiet. I have maybe 5-7k miles on them on both cars.

I'm about due for tires too. These look like a good candidate.

for the price they are very good tires. A bit noisy on certain roads but very comfortable and they do absorb most road imperfections. They only negative for me was some noise and they are a bit "hard" in cold weather. But still very good tires.
I did remove them though because of the noise on grinded concrete highways and (sometimes) pulling left or right. They did have good grip nevertheless. For the Turbo model Michelin PS4 AS is much better but they dont absorb road imperfections as good as the Pirelli.

has anyone run them in the north where it snows? haven't seen any snow reviews on them yet.

If you're referring to the Pirelli A/S Plus 3 people are mentioning ... They are definitely not a 'snow' tire.

Much safer to check with tires that have a 3PMSF designation, for "severe winter" weather. (Even some of those might not be stellar, but I wouldn't want to rely upon a regular A/S tire over snow, ice or slush. That's a good way to go off the road, IMO.)

Pirelli's "Scorpion/Cinturato Weather Active" tires would work (their "all-weather" compound), as would the "Scorpion All Terrain Plus" tire.

I too am now running Pirelli Scorpion A/S +3's. I ditched my fast wearing OEM Toyo's about 3 years ago to get these Pirelli's not long after they first came out. I did a lot of comparisons on the Tire Rack website between these and the 2 other tires I was considering...Michelin CrossClimate 2's and the Continental LX25's. The Pirelli's came out on top in all the features that mattered to me. I have been extremely happy with my choice and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

On my old Protege, I ran Pirelli P600's, and they were great, so I'm not going to say anything bad about Pirelli at all.

That said, Michelin has always been by go-to when I had the extra $100 or so, and I continue to run Michelin on both of my Mazdas today.

I have a set of Defenders on my CX-5, and just last Friday, installed a set of X-Tour AS2's on my Mazda5. Both are awesome.

I switched from A36 to Pirelli Scorpion as plus 3, at 15k mi
Impression - more quiet, better handling in snowy conditions, would recommend
To me personally the car became a bit "wobbly", but that is regarded as being more comfortable by most people. I liked A36 hard precision.

I switched from A36 to Pirelli Scorpion as plus 3, at 15k mi
Impression - more quiet, better handling in snowy conditions, would recommend
To me personally the car became a bit "wobbly", but that is regarded as being more comfortable by most people. I liked A36 hard precision.
What size? If you use a wider tire it can have that effect.

What size? If you use a wider tire it can have that effect.
same size, same pressure
pirelli weight 1lb less, maybe that
more comfortable, less bumpy, overall good

1710239999094.png

Its following grooves on some roads.Thats why you feel wobbly. because of its thread pattern.
It has actually pretty hard and large sidewall.

Back