would y'all buy a custom shorty header?

Sil_Pro5

A friend and I are going to start pre-production (prototype) on a shorty header for the FS-DE engines that retains the stock cat. we will be making it out of 304 stainless and it will have the EGR and O2 bungs welded in. But, before we do this, i need a poll of how many of you would consider buying one of these for about $250-$350. Final price is determined on the cost of the steel. All parts will be CNC machined and all bend will be mandrel-of course.

If this goes well, we will consider also making a downpipe replacement also. Possibly even a straight pipe to replace the second cat for racing use. The production time on the header will be about 3 mos.

(2thumbs) I would definitely be interested, if this header is bolt-on, and the price remains as you first quoted. "Shorty" headers increase responsiveness on the higher RPM's, right ?

I'm in. Traveler is slow to respond, and is doing them on a "one at a time" basis. Not that it's a bad thing, just not his primary occupation. :)

Get one made and dyno the bad boy. Show us the money!!! :D

Thanks,
Jim

jmackenz@insight.rr.com

You should also consider making a true 4-2-1 header as well. Yes there are some with emissions regulations that need the cat, but there are more that want a full header, and all of the current ones that are "available" aren't really available.

Chris

I would be interested...Especailly if you can get it dyno'd!!

Chas

no you dont need to relocate the O2 sensor and it will have an EGR of course. And to those who think these headers suck, theyre better than nothing for those of us who have to live in emmission areas. Down the road we "might" make a 4-1 or 4-2-1. But most likely not for a while. We are really interested in a new higher flowing downpipe both w/a high flow CAT and w/out. thanks for all the responses!

Sil_Pro5 said:
no you dont need to relocate the O2 sensor and it will have an EGR of course. And to those who think these headers suck, theyre better than nothing for those of us who have to live in emmission areas. Down the road we "might" make a 4-1 or 4-2-1. But most likely not for a while. We are really interested in a new higher flowing downpipe both w/a high flow CAT and w/out. thanks for all the responses!

good luck:D

Sil_Pro5 said:

Make one, sell it as an "off-road only" part and let the owners deal with the consequences if they get caught. Just be sure to include a high flow SINGLE cat, and provisions for O2 sensor and EGR. I just don't see how NOT removing the bottle neck (pre-cat) is going to positively affect output.

Ditto. Dyno, baby....Dyno.

Good luck to ya. I'm sure if it's a product that provides a few ponies, a few of us will order.

(laserp5)

most shorty headers don't make that much power for the price-
$200-250 for 1-3hp at the wheels not worth the money

Latest posts

Back