Mazda CX-70 buying decision and timing

I had almost diametrically opposed test drive impressions of the 340HP inline 6 mild hybrid CX-90. It is a nice vehicle, solid, stable, confident. But it lacks the engaging driving characteristics of the CX-5 and CX-50 (both 1,200lb lighter) and those are 4 cylinder vehicles with understeer inducing front wheel drive. I don't need nor want 3 rows and the land yacht dimensions. It sits way too high and feels too big. I really think it is the weight at 5,000lb. Mazda should employ the gram strategy employed with the MX-5 and shave about 500lbs off that pig. My wife's 2012 Odyssey drives better mainly because it is lighter (4,450lbs) and sits lower (lower center of gravity) though the same length (202").
To each they're taste/preference. Maybe you got one without software updates ?
I drove this spring everything from Mazda. From CX50 to CX5 to CX9. Will tell you that imo nothing feels like the CX90. CX50 is the closest to a driver's car, because you sit low, below the belt line and windows, however the torsion beam is really ugly and I couldn't live with feeling every small crack in the pavement. In addition to that, when you floor it, even though it pulls, its nowhere near the feeling of the I6 and the RWD platform. Not to mention the fuel consumption for such a big car which is better than the current turbo 2.5.

And to your point, we don't need 3 rows as well and I dislike the captain's chair, however there is nothing to suits us out there. Hence will do a 3yr lease and I'll switch to CX70 after.

To each they're taste/preference. Maybe you got one without software updates ?
I drove this spring everything from Mazda. From CX50 to CX5 to CX9. Will tell you that imo nothing feels like the CX90. CX50 is the closest to a driver's car, because you sit low, below the belt line and windows, however the torsion beam is really ugly and I couldn't live with feeling every small crack in the pavement. In addition to that, when you floor it, even though it pulls, its nowhere near the feeling of the I6 and the RWD platform. Not to mention the fuel consumption for such a big car which is better than the current turbo 2.5.

And to your point, we don't need 3 rows as well and I dislike the captain's chair, however there is nothing to suits us out there. Hence will do a 3yr lease and I'll switch to CX70 after.

How does the steering compare? According to what I've read, the CX-50 steering is on the heavier side, while the CX-5 steering is on the lighter side. Is the CX-90 steering closer to the CX-50 or CX-5?

How does the steering compare? According to what I've read, the CX-50 steering is on the heavier side, while the CX-5 steering is on the lighter side. Is the CX-90 steering closer to the CX-50 or CX-5?
Its different than both of them, definitely lighter than the cx50 and imo better than the cx5.

It's in the middle. I never did any high speed maneuvers with it, but the CX-90 felt "right" in the steering. On the day I purchased my wife's Odyessey, I asked if we could tighten up the steering. Hit a bump at 70mph and it reminds you of a 1970s luxoboat with the steering will slopping back and forth till you get settled. The problem is the CX-90 sits too high and is too big and heavy to really drive well. It's good driving for a minivan size, elevated platform. The BMW X7 is generally regarded as the best driving big SUV and I would say the CX-90 was maybe a small step down from that standard for about $25K less.

If you need a vehicle like the CX-90 it is a great one. I'm here for the CX-70 and hoping Mazda does what Genesis tried to do with the GV70 vs the GV80. Make it lower, lighter more responsive with less size and mass to be a better driving vehicle because it can be for those that don't need all that space.

Last edited:
Back