Winter Tires

did the abs started lighting toasted because you started using the smaller tires?

Hu?

I run 185/70R14, it's taller than the original by 2.15%

Better traction in the snow! ABS? who cares it's BS anyway.

Ex: You wanna turn left but it goes straight? what you do? Pushing brake pedal to the floor hoping for ABS to save your ass? OR Grab the handbrake, give it a shot while countersteering and voila! You make that turn! And it's fun!

Hu?

I run 185/70R14, it's taller than the original by 2.15%

Better traction in the snow! ABS? who cares it's BS anyway.

Ex: You wanna turn left but it goes straight? what you do? Pushing brake pedal to the floor hoping for ABS to save your ass? OR Grab the handbrake, give it a shot while countersteering and voila! You make that turn! And it's fun!

thanks for the tips. looks like you're an expert on winter driving with all the fun you have.

lugs on steel rims

one more question, do you use the lug nuts from the original rim or do i need to buy new lug nuts for the steel rims?
also do you leave the winter tires on even without the snow?
tia.

Last edited:
I use the same lug nuts. As far as when to put on the winter tires, it really depends on what kind of tire you currently have on. If it's an all season, you might want to keep them onto until it's consistently below freezing or snow is forecasted. They'll be quieter and provide better performance up until snow. If you have high performance summer tires, then you'll probably not want to take any chance of having them on in the snow. A couple of extra weeks of wear on your winter tires is a lot cheaper than pinballing down an icy street with your summer tires on.

I use the same lug nuts. As far as when to put on the winter tires, it really depends on what kind of tire you currently have on. If it's an all season, you might want to keep them onto until it's consistently below freezing or snow is forecasted. They'll be quieter and provide better performance up until snow. If you have high performance summer tires, then you'll probably not want to take any chance of having them on in the snow. A couple of extra weeks of wear on your winter tires is a lot cheaper than pinballing down an icy street with your summer tires on.

thanks for the reply. are using smaller 14 winter tires? if yes, did you have any ABS problems?

The ABS just monitors wheel speeds compared to each other, and if one is turning significantly slower than others, it kicks on, the tire diameter shouldn't matter as long as they're the same.

Someone point out the flaw in my logic if you see one please.

i'm curious if anyone is using 14" winter tires for sometime without any ABS issues.

also saw a used 15x6 steel rim with 5X115 bolt holes but the center hole is bigger than the mazda steelies. seller said it was from a volvo but not sure. will this work?
tia

Last edited:
one more question, do you use the lug nuts from the original rim or do i need to buy new lug nuts for the steel rims?
also do you leave the winter tires on even without the snow?
tia.

I bought new nuts for my winter rims. black nickel plated long nuts. Nuts are so long they stretch a bit farther than the tire! For piercing snow banks...

Leaves winter tires on without snow? Mean summer? Summer = 215/45ZR16 Dunlop's.

Or did you mean autumn and spring?

Every year at end of october beginning of november I put on my snow tires. And I will remove them when spring comes, end of march, beginnig of october.

Sorry everyone I messed up on my rim sizes on my first post I run a 195-55 15" rim and I have had no problems with them.

As for the abs system my understanding that the computer is set for on diameter on the stock tires, reading a set RPM with in a range to take into account tire wear. Now by changing the outside diameter this changes the RPM out side the range the computer is set for. This then means that the braking system of your car is not working properly. Now if you are confident in your ability to drive your car then fly at it. As my wife is the driver of our P5 I don't want to have the brakes not working properly.

Just my two cents, and if there is any Auto techs out there maybe you could clear this abs thing up for us.

Sorry everyone I messed up on my rim sizes on my first post I run a 195-55 15" rim and I have had no problems with them.

As for the abs system my understanding that the computer is set for on diameter on the stock tires, reading a set RPM with in a range to take into account tire wear. Now by changing the outside diameter this changes the RPM out side the range the computer is set for. This then means that the braking system of your car is not working properly. Now if you are confident in your ability to drive your car then fly at it. As my wife is the driver of our P5 I don't want to have the brakes not working properly.

Just my two cents, and if there is any Auto techs out there maybe you could clear this abs thing up for us.

Brakes are working fine, ABS is disable, that's all!

Personally, the more you put ABS TC and all that s***, it's not driving anymore..

it changes nothing but your actual speed. the RPM vs the speed sensor reading will always be the same, regardless of tires or not... the speedo will read the same reading with no tires on at all, as with the largest ones you can fit.

Back