CX-9 Problem with wheels for smaller tires

Hi all! I recently purchased smaller tires for winter 235/65/18, 7" width. Based on wheel-size.com they will fit no problem. The issue I have is rims offset. I purchased a second hand alloy wheels that came from Mazda3 - 18x7J 5x114.3, hub bore 67.1. So those numbers are fine, the only difference is offset - OG 45mm, the new rims are 50mm.
I'm not sure if it's safe to put them on. Will those 5mm make a huge difference? Anyone who faced similar issue?
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231113_124014_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113_124014_Samsung Internet.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 48
From your screenshot i think you should be fine. The different offset pushes the rim away from the car suspension components and the narrower wheel offsets it and prevents it from sticking out.

Not sure about the load rating of a mazda 3 wheel, that would be the other thing to check for, but i have never managed to find load rating for OEM wheels.

Not sure about the load rating of a mazda 3 wheel, that would be the other thing to check for, but i have never managed to find load rating for OEM wheels.
Do you know how much does this matter? I'm aware that new tires load needs to match or exceed what is needed for my car. I believe currently I have 104V but the new winter tires are 110T. Tbh I haven't heard about load rating for steer or alloy rims.

I am not entirely sure to be honest. Do you have the wheels at home ? In theory the load rating should be marked on it, but i have personally never seen it.

See para 5.1. of this article: https://www.performanceplustire.com/app/tech-info/are-your-wheels-safe

When you buy aftermarket wheel the load rating is often published online on the website (but not always).
Thanks for this info! I managed to find out that the load rating is 1500lbs/wheel. Front of my car is 2756lbs, rear is 3146lbs.
Seems I'll be missing 146lbs on the back wheels, not sure if this is safe/unsafe but I guess I need to discuss that with the mechanic.

There is probably a safety margin and probably won’t crumble under the weight of the car (especially since you won’t be fully loaded to that axle weight most of the time), but my take on it is that it may be more prone to wheel bending or wheel damage if you hit potholes.

Back