Winter Tires

Apparently I have nothing better to do, so I looked up some Minneapolis clist ads: right here in the top ten is a set of Dunlops on steelies from an '06 Mazda3 for $300!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/842178790.html

There's also a couple other relavant ads: one with 17" wheels off a speed3 for $300 and another with 17" Dunlops, so that'd be a decent set up for $450+M&B. The wheels actually look sweet, too! Happy searching

Ha! Post deleted by author. Must've found out he's selling them too cheap.

So my new revised plan is to stick with the 17" idea. I know it's been confirmed that 16" will fit but i'm concerned about what someone had posted about the brakes not being able to circulate air properly and overheating.

Does anyone know if OEM 17" Mazda 3 wheels would fit okay? I know they're +60 Offset and that seems like too much.

I wouldn't worry about brake cooling or lack thereof. It's not exactly like you're going to be tracking the car with winter tires. Typical driving doesn't get brakes hot enough to do much/any damage. Even steelies have holes for ventilation. Plus it's winter out! :)

In my uneducated expert opinion, you'll probably be ok with the +60 offset. Only thing you might have to watch is clearance to the struts up front. How wide is that 17" wheel? And would you be using a narrower tire? I remember you saying that you thought 215 was narrow enough. Here's my favorite site comparing the two with TireRack's recommended 215/50R17 snow tire (assuming 7" width on the 17)
Wheel size calculator

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about brake cooling or lack thereof. It's not exactly like you're going to be tracking the car with winter tires. Typical driving doesn't get brakes hot enough to do much/any damage. Even steelies have holes for ventilation. Plus it's winter out! :)

In my uneducated expert opinion, you'll probably be ok with the +60 offset. Only thing you might have to watch is clearance to the struts up front. How wide is that 17" wheel? And would you be using a narrower tire? I remember you saying that you thought 215 was narrow enough. Here's my favorite site comparing the two with TireRack's recommended 215/50R17 snow tire (assuming 7" width on the 17)
Wheel size calculator

who is afraid about brakes overheating in winter????

I don't know what the prices are but I just got an email from http://www.discounttiredirect.com that is offering a $50 mail in rebate on a purchase of four Dunlop snow tires.

Also for any of you speed3 guys who are thinking of going with a 16", I have some 2005 Tribute wheels I am selling. They have approx 28k miles on them and are near mint.

They are 16x7 with a +45 offset. If anyone is interestd, shoot me a pm and I will get some pics.

just received my winter setup from tirerack $618 shipped. Blizzak REVOs mounted and balanced on 16" steelies with warranty :D i love the look

Now Tire Rack says no steel 16" wheels were EVER avail. for a Speed 3.
Gone from the site also.
The guy say to produce a part # off the invoice for him to check...WTF
I guess I could just order for a base 3.

Now Tire Rack says no steel 16" wheels were EVER avail. for a Speed 3.
Gone from the site also.
The guy say to produce a part # off the invoice for him to check...WTF
I guess I could just order for a base 3.

OOO WTFFFF. I was down with paying like 700 shipped now its gona be like 900

OOO WTFFFF. I was down with paying like 700 shipped now its gona be like 900

Just got off the phone with Peter at discounttiredirect and he gave me an out the door price of $756 for the following package:

4 - Momo winter 16x6.5 +45 offset alloys $100 (web price is $105)ea
4 - Hankook W409 tires 205/60/16

Price is delivered (free shipping is back, woot) and fitment is guaranteed or they will send UPS to pick them up.

Unfortuantely for me he said that in order for you guys to run a 16x7 you would want a +50 offset or you may risk rubbing the fenders.

**EDIT**Just spoke with someone at tirerack and he says the 16x7 +45 offset will work no problem and suggests the 205/60 but the 215/55 will fit just the same.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Peter at discounttiredirect and he gave me an out the door price of $756 for the following package:

4 - Momo winter 16x6.5 +45 offset alloys $100 (web price is $105)ea
4 - Hankook W409 tires 205/60/16

Price is delivered (free shipping is back, woot) and fitment is guaranteed or they will send UPS to pick them up.

Unfortuantely for me he said that in order for you guys to run a 16x7 you would want a +50 offset or you may risk rubbing the fenders.

Hope this helps!

Those look pretty nice for 100 bucks.

I had to call tire rack and have the guy check about the steelies for me. They were available, but took them off this week. The only reason they took them off is because they are not compatible with the TPMS which really is no big deal, they are just winter tires. I paid 650 mounted, balanced, new lug nuts, shipped with blizzack ws-60s on them. If people have problems, I can get tirerack part number for the steelies.

I had to call tire rack and have the guy check about the steelies for me. They were available, but took them off this week. The only reason they took them off is because they are not compatible with the TPMS which really is no big deal, they are just winter tires. I paid 650 mounted, balanced, new lug nuts, shipped with blizzack ws-60s on them. If people have problems, I can get tirerack part number for the steelies.

My guy new nothing about the steelies being gone, except they "might " not clear the brakes.
If you can dig the part # on them, that would be helpful.
Thanks

Here is my order, I didnt see a part number, but maybe the specs will help you.

4 205/60R-16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 In Stock $90.00 $360.00
1 BS/FS Registration Card In Stock N/C N/C
1 BS/FS Warranty Packet In Stock N/C N/C
4 16x6.5 5-114 et42 cb67 st new In Stock $55.00 $220.00
4 Mount and Balance (No Charge) N/C N/C

i ended up going to a salvage yard and got 2 16 inch dodge wheels, they were rubbing the caliper so i got some 1/4inch spacers and they fit perfectly, threw some 225/55/16s on there, yokohama ice guard IG721's, there discontinued but got amazing snow ratings...

i paid 200 for the wheels and tires total... so 16s do fit and with some research you can get what you need...

i left the stock wheels on the rear

Snow tires are designed to be run on all wheels. Just because only your front wheels are driven, it does not mean you only want control of those.

well i dont necessarily have a problem with steering its more of just being able to start from a dead stop... from my past experience last winter all i need it 2 on the front, and its a to cheaper, turning is no problem, its starting thats a problem

Back