Winter Tires

First post!

Just bought a new 08 MazdaSpeed 3 in the Toronto area, and of course it still has the stock tires on it, so I'm scrambling to get snow tires. In browsing craigslist and kijiji, finding 215/50/17's in the area is tough, however I have gotten an offer for 225/50/17 - any issue with these interfering with the brakes?

Right now, i've got 37f/35r as cold temps during midday. I figure as the temperatures drop during the morning and night, it may compensate. I'm not sure if they're weighted properly or not, felt a little stutter only at really high speed, but they feel awesome otherwise.

Thanks for all the compliments!

Right now, i've got 37f/35r as cold temps during midday. I figure as the temperatures drop during the morning and night, it may compensate. I'm not sure if they're weighted properly or not, felt a little stutter only at really high speed, but they feel awesome otherwise.

Thanks for all the compliments!

I have mine at +4lbs all the way around. IMO, it's likely to compensate for the denser air / and to help keep a narrower footprint on the ground. Smooth as a baby's bottom all the way up to the 120mph I pushed her to on the trip home this week :) Gotta love H-Rated Snow shoes (naughty)

First time I took it out, I got up to 120 a few times. It does not feel like 120 at all. It's so smoooooth lol. I like hearing the engine more. So much for a break in process lol. I think I lost a 1/4 tank just horsin around today.

Last edited:
Funny, I was just gonna ask about pressures but I happened to see Silver's post #242 so I went back a page and read up. I randomly happened across the manual recommending +4 psi so I set mine to 38/36 but I was curious what you guys do.

I got mine a month or so ago. I rock the same style wheel in winter as I do in summer, just a 16x7 et38 instead of 18x7.5 et48. MB Motoring Drifters black with machined lip. Not super light compared to forged rims, but still several pounds lighter than stock, especially the 16's!

Winter tires are General Altimax Arctic 205/60/16 for $67 each from tirerack and the wheels I found on Ebay as discounttiredirect closeout for $104 each shipped (had a free shipping coupon). Had a friend mount/balance them for free at a local Tuffy Auto Center.

I can't wait for the first big snow!!!!

Attachments

• 100_0197_small.jpg
    100_0197_small.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2044.JPG
    IMG_2044.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 149
I found some 17" rims online for a 03-07 Mazda 6 for $250. Anyone know if these will fit the MS3?
I will use them for winter wheels if I can as far as relevance. :p

Update: From what I can determine the offset is 60. I am guessing that is too big but if someone could straighten me out that would be fantastic.

Last edited:
Back