CX-9 Winter tire question

Hi ,
Can i use 225/ 65/ 17 winter tires on my daughters CX9 ( 2011) 20 inch wheels.
They're brand new studed tires, hoping they would work.
Thanks

I believe "similar fit" on that 2011 is 245/65/17 (I believe stock 20 that year came with 245/50/20). Your speedo will be slightly off (slower than actual) with that 225, but shouldn't be a cause for concern.

Ok , Thanks . My wife phoned a few tire shops in town were telling my wife that we couldn’t use 225/65/17 because of ratio and weight of vehicle .
I didn't buy that theory, i think they were trying to sell her a new set of tires and rims.

Hi ,
Can i use 225/ 65/ 17 winter tires on my daughters CX9 ( 2011) 20 inch wheels.
They're brand new studed tires, hoping they would work.
Thanks

Wait, are you asking if you can mount 17" tires ON your 20" rims?

Or do have, or in the process of getting 17" rims with same bolt pattern/offset?

I've got 245/65/17 on my 2009 cx9, which originally had 20" rims, and they fit just fine. I went into Discount Tire for new rims and tires and thats the rim/ tire size combination they recommended and also said it would add up to almost the exact same circumfrance as the originals.

I've got 245/65/17 on my 2009 cx9, which originally had 20" rims, and they fit just fine. I went into Discount Tire for new rims and tires and thats the rim/ tire size combination they recommended and also said it would add up to almost the exact same circumfrance as the originals.
Ok thanks , the tire place said the 225 /17 is out of ratio , might be a vehicle weight issue , but i cant see why the 225 wouldn't
Work, just a little skinnier than the 245 ?

Ok , Thanks . My wife phoned a few tire shops in town were telling my wife that we couldn’t use 225/65/17 because of ratio and weight of vehicle .
I didn't buy that theory, i think they were trying to sell her a new set of tires and rims.
That will be up to the tire load rating. You may want to confirm that. If I look online, the gross weight is just over 5800 lbs on that 2011. So you'll want a tire with a load rating of 94 or more to make sure it can handle the gross weight of the vehicle.

Typically, the reason why shops don't want to do things "outside of the norm" is mainly due to naive consumers not wanting/willing to understand things, then coming back and saying "it wasn't fixed" or "because you did A, B is happening, it's your (shop's) fault, fix it!" As long as you (well, your daughter and anyone else that will be driving that car) understand that putting that size tire on that CX9 will have a speedometer discrepancy, and assuming the load rating checks out, I don't see what the issue is.

Last edited:
That will be up to the tire load rating. You may want to confirm that. If I look online, the gross weight is just over 5800 lbs on that 2011. So you'll want a tire with a load rating of 94 or more to make sure it can handle the gross weight of the vehicle.
Ok thanks will check .

Back