Winter Tires (Again) - Funky size issue...

newf said:
185/65-15

nothing smaller then a 15 will fit.

Do NOT put 205's on, they will suck in snow. thinner tire is better, and a lot cheaper too.

false when saying nothing smaller than a 15 inch rim will fit P5's or ES's.

I use 14 inch steel rims with 195/65/14 inch snow tires. fit over the calipers fine.......they work great in the snow.

got them from discounttire.com just have to make sure the core of the rim is big enough to fit over the caliper.

-R

Protege52003 said:
false when saying nothing smaller than a 15 inch rim will fit P5's or ES's.

I use 14 inch steel rims with 195/65/14 inch snow tires. fit over the calipers fine.......they work great in the snow.

got them from discounttire.com just have to make sure the core of the rim is big enough to fit over the caliper.

-R

Newf knows that - he had 14s on his MP3. However, if I'm not mistaken he TRIED 14s on the MSP and they would not fit. The MSP has bigger brake calipers than the other proteges. So Newf was referring to the MSP.

girth said:

That's really weird. I checked it maybe 2 weeks ago before I posted the same thing in another thread and it said 195-55-15. It looks like they have updated it.
If it throws off the speedo, it won't be by much regardless.
When i bought them last year, they didn't have The MSP in the menu. I went with the MP3 size, and it said 195-55-15. I think the MP3 comes with 205-45-17 stock though, so there's the difference. I thought that they were a little short, based on the old "minus 1" sizing. 215-45-17, 205-55-16, 196-65-15 etc.
Discount Tire says 195-65-15 or 205-60-15.

Last edited:
thanks girth :)

And yes I tried my old steelies from my mp3 which were 14", on the speed. Just took one wheel off the rear one day, slid it on, and "thunk".... it brought up against the caliper.

No troubles putting 14's on the p5's, or ES. Would even be cheaper.

On a side note, I would not put 55's on a speed. Now, each tire brand is a little different in diameter from the next even if their the same size....but 55's is too small imho. I've "heard" that anything beyond 3% difference, and you could damage your rotors under hard braking.

newf said:
On a side note, I would not put 55's on a speed. Now, each tire brand is a little different in diameter from the next even if their the same size....but 55's is too small imho. I've "heard" that anything beyond 3% difference, and you could damage your rotors under hard braking. [/B]

How would you damage a rotor with 55 series tires ???

I honestly don't know. Some guy that sells tires told me. And I thought it was BS....but then another guy said the same thing....still don't know how it could

I personally wouldn't do it, as I want a little higer tire then that to get through the snow. My reason for not wanting them has nothing to do with rotors. I have never seen that happen.

Like I said....I "heard" it could happen. Not that I believe it.

Yep Stepson,

I ordered steel wheels for my 'Speed...36$ each, can`t beat that!

And regarding 195-55 vs 195-60...from Tirerack...yes, they did something weird, a week ago their system was really giving 195-55-15 for winter tires for the msp and that`s why I was confused...thats's too small...made a couple of fun calls, a retailler actually called the rack for me...he didn't understand it either...
Turns out, 3 days ago, I check it again, and they switched the suggested tires to 195-60-15 (makes more sense!)...that`s when I pulled the trigger and ordered them...

Oh and don't even try calling mazda, they don't have a clue!

Damaga

LOL......your right, they don't. The dealers will automatically sell you what they have for the P5/ES which isn't technically correct either as our tires are larger.

At least your getting some. That's the main thing. now those nice RH's will be nice and safe, and so will will you.

Damaga said:
And regarding 195-55 vs 195-60...from Tirerack...yes, they did something weird, a week ago their system was really giving 195-55-15 for winter tires for the msp and that`s why I was confused...thats's too small...made a couple of fun calls, a retailler actually called the rack for me...he didn't understand it either...
Turns out, 3 days ago, I check it again, and they switched the suggested tires to 195-60-15 (makes more sense!)...Damaga

Ok so it wasn't just me that noticed that. I thought i was losing my mind there for a minute.

newf said:
I honestly don't know. Some guy that sells tires told me. And I thought it was BS....but then another guy said the same thing....still don't know how it could

I personally wouldn't do it, as I want a little higer tire then that to get through the snow. My reason for not wanting them has nothing to do with rotors. I have never seen that happen.

Ok Newf, i'm not raising the BS flag at you, but at the guy who said you could damage rotors with 195-55-15's on the MSP.
If someone could explain the physics of that to me, I would appreciate it.
According to that Miata tire calculator, running the 55's put's my speedo off by 4.5 % approx.
The good thing is that it's slower than stock, so when the speedo says i'm doing 60 mph, i'm actually doing 57.5 mph. Who knows, that might save me a speeding ticket or two.

newf said:

Well, I'm sure that what he's saying is BS. The only thing I can think of is that for any given speed you are ACTUALLY travelling (as opposed to the speed your gauge reads), your wheels are spinning faster because of the smaller diameter (195/60-15 vs. 195/55-15). Therefore, the rotors will be spinning faster and it will take more power to slow them down equally. However, I don't believe a 3.2% difference in circumference is going to have any noticeable effect. Besides, your brake system is designed to stop reliably from 100+ mph, so a 3% difference at 75mph is not going to matter.

that's strange - I just went to tirerack and clicked through for the 'speed and it offered the "winter package" with 205/55/16 blizzaks.

incidentally, anyone know what the wheels are in that package?
they list a 16x6 black, but "style & color may vary." I know they're just steelies for winter, but like I wanna just order sight-unseen.

They're steelie 16" wheels, just fine functionally but not the best looking. The 205/55/16 is within 0.5% of the overall diameter of the 215/45/17. The only way a 15" combination would damage the rotors is if the 15" wheel is too small (internal diameter) and hits the rotors - and several posters have reported 15" use with no problems, I think someone is actually running 14". Being "off" by 4% isn't so bad, but the larger diameter of the 195/60 is desirable from several aspects:

1) ground clearance (not that 1/4" would make a huge difference, but it can)

2) speedo error/drivetrain wear (at the same actual speed, your drivetrain is spinning 4% faster).

3) A smaller outside diameter means a numerically higher Final Drive ratio - it in effect lowers your overall gearing. This multiplies torque better (by at least 4% - the Engineers on the board can detail the moment-of-intertia stuff and calculations). You actually want a larger diameter to help minimize wheelspin on start-up.

4) A higher sidewall protects your rims better, even if they're steelies this can prevent a dent or worse a loss of air pressure if you hit one of those ubiquitous potholes.

-L

I just meant that everyone else is seeing recommended 195's at tiretrack, while I was getting 205's.

(dunno)

it had been suggested a couple of times that 205 would be too wide for significant snow/slush driving & living here in Ohio you just never know - last year we got nailed.

Is anyone running 205/65/15s? I'd really like to have a set of snows that i can swap between our MPV and MSP...

Back