winter tire questions from a total noob

Temo

This is my first time buying winter tires for any vehicle. I have the 2014 CX5 GT... The tire sticky suggested this:
For those people out there looking to get winter tire/wheel combos, I suggest getting the much cheaper to purchase 225/65R17 tires on 17" x 7" wheels

Now for the noob questions:
  • What do the 225/65R17 numbers mean?
  • Opposed the 17"x7" combo, what other winter alternatives are there?
  • Is it possible I could put winter tires on my existing rims? (I wouldn't, however, just curious).

Thanks in advance :)

225 means the tire's widest point is 225mm, 65 indicates that the sidewall is 65% of the width (so 146mm in this case), R means it's a radial tire (for passenger vehicles, other kinds are so uncommon that you don't even really need to include it anymore), and the 17 indicates it's to be mounted on 17" wheels.

As for alternatives to 17x7, there are lots (just check out the show me your wheels thread). I have 18x8s for my summer tires, and I use my 17x7s for my winters. A taller, skinny tire is actually a plus in the winter, so 17" wheels with 225/65 is actually a decent idea - and would fit your stock wheels if you choose to use them for that.

I've had my 2014 CX-5 GT for just under a month now ... first thing I did was install the same brand of Nokian winter tires I've been using for years on three different vehicles. The Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV are outstanding in snow, great on ice and don't wear fast on the dry roads. Stock Toyo all-season tires on the GT are 225/55R19 on alloy rims. The winters are 225/65R17 ... same width but taller, allowing use of the less expensive 17" rims (and less susceptible to damage from potholes and curbs). Rims are Top Gear 17x7 in Gun Metal Grey that goes great with the Aluminum Metallic Mica paint colour. Great traction on some of the Forest Service Roads in my area ... allowing me to get to spots like this!

IMG_4298.JPG

Last edited:
Back