2013~2016 Miata wheels on a CX-5?

weitau

:
Current '14 CX-5 GT, previous Miata 2xNA, NC & Mazda 5
I just recently purchased a new (2 me) 2014 CX-5 GT. The 19" tires are shot. Where I am, the roads are bad, and I'm thinking of using 17" rims from a NC Miata (with 225/65R17 tires). This is a long shot, but has anyone tried this, and broke a rim by using a Miata rim (from less load capacity) ?

The 17" look tiny, especially when the 19" is closer.

Attachments

• PXL_20230922_233540309.jpg
    PXL_20230922_233540309.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 74
Will the 17 inch rims clear the brake calipers?

I'm running 17's on my 2016.5. Not Miata wheels, but Tire Rack. Got the lightest I could justify, saved something like 12 lbs per wheel IIRC. It's noticeable when driving.

Will the 17 inch rims clear the brake calipers?
Yes, they did 👍

The 17" rim did fit flush against the hub without any problem. The Touring trim came with 17" from the factory, so it's good. I know the offsets are off a little. These are 55's.

I'm running 17's on my 2016.5. Not Miata wheels, but Tire Rack. Got the lightest I could justify, saved something like 12 lbs per wheel IIRC. It's noticeable when driving.
You may have gained 12hp!

Someone did a dyno comparison with different wheel weights and found 1 lb less weight per wheel translates to 1 extra HP at the wheel. Granted that engine was making 2x as much up as a CX-5 to begin with.

These 17" Miata wheels are approximately 17 lbs.

Last edited:
Your CX-5's curb weight is about 3400 lbs. The NC Miata wheel has a maximum load rating of about 1100lbs. I don't know if this would be considered safe to use, but I'm not sure I would risk it on "bad roads".

By comparison, your OEM 19s have a load rating of about 1700 lbs, which is half the curb weight of your CX-5. My 2018 CX-9's OEM wheels also have a load rating that is about half of the curb weight of the car.

I'm sure the taller sidewalls of the 17" tires would soak up many of the bumps, but yeah, take that info for what it is.

Your CX-5's curb weight is about 3400 lbs. The NC Miata wheel has a maximum load rating of about 1100lbs. I don't know if this would be considered safe to use, but I'm not sure I would risk it on "bad roads".

This is exactly what I was looking for, someone to knock some sense in to me ;)
Seriously, I looked everywhere for the load rating, since it's not on the back of the wheel. I even called Mazda and they couldn't help.

By comparison, your OEM 19s have a load rating of about 1700 lbs, which is half the curb weight of your CX-5. My 2018 CX-9's OEM wheels also have a load rating that is about half of the curb weight of the car.

I just picked up a set of these wheels today, thinking they were 17's. Another member of the community pointed it out to be a 18's from a Mazda 6. The back is stamped 18x7J 50, so they should fit. Any chance you might have a idea of the load rating on this baby? Appreciate the help!

{edit: as it turns out, the 2018 Mazda 6 GT is nearly the same weight as my CX-5, so we should be good!}

Attachments

• 2023-09-26_23-00-55.jpg
    2023-09-26_23-00-55.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 48
This is exactly what I was looking for, someone to knock some sense in to me ;)
Seriously, I looked everywhere for the load rating, since it's not on the back of the wheel. I even called Mazda and they couldn't help.

There are some sites that list wheel specs, but you have to really dig for them. Or you could try checking out a car-specific forum and doing a search there. But for me, I like to use wheel-size.com. They list the OEM wheel and tire size and spec for most vehicles on their site, but it can be a bit tricky to navigate at first. I also like using their wheel and tire size calculator.

View attachment 322723

I assume you're just using the wheels but definitely trash those tires with all the cracking in the sidewalls 🤔
Oh yeah! the tires are trash! the tires have a date code from year 2020, have good tread, but the sidewall cracks are worrisome!

I drive maybe 5k miles per year, so I'm never going to use the full 60k or 80k warranty on new tires. So did some research, and ordered a used set of Continental TruContact Tour from Champtires. These have a UTQG treadwear rating of 800 A A, so these should last a while.

There are some sites that list wheel specs, but you have to really dig for them. Or you could try checking out a car-specific forum and doing a search there. But for me, I like to use wheel-size.com. They list the OEM wheel and tire size and spec for most vehicles on their site, but it can be a bit tricky to navigate at first. I also like using their wheel and tire size calculator.
Wheel-size.com is great :)

Using their calculator, I could see that 225/60R18" would fit the rims I have, and not stray too far from stock. Their data is very accurate. Not to knock on them, but I don't understand why they list the 18" rims from a 2018 Mazda 6 as being 7.5" wide, but the back of my rims is stamped 18x7J 50. I should just take a ruler and measure it LoL.

Back