Smaller Tires on 2021 CX-5 Sport?

RonK

2021 CX-9 GT
Can I safely use 225 55 R17 tires on my 2021 CX-5 Sport instead of the standard 225 65 R17?

Safely, sure. Your speedometer will read over 2% faster, however. 235 60 R17 might be a better choice. Look online for tire size calculator to help chose a different size than stock.

The width of the tire is fine for the width of the wheel. Like mentioned above, make sure you're okay with the speedo being off (not talking nude beaches here).

Safely, sure. Your speedometer will read over 2% faster, however. 235 60 R17 might be a better choice. Look online for tire size calculator to help chose a different size than stock.
Thanks for the reply. These are tires that are only one season old and I quickly had them swapped out before I traded in the old car. Now that I have the CX5 I noticed they were the same size rim and not that far off on the aspect. I figure the difference is a little over 1.5 inch less in the entire wheel/tire diameter than with the 225 65 R17 that the Mazda has. I do this with all my car purchases where I trade in the old car that has really good tread on it. Why should I give the dealer an easy feature to help him sell my old car?

The width of the tire is fine for the width of the wheel. Like mentioned above, make sure you're okay with the speedo being off (not talking nude beaches here).
The width of the tire is identical to the other tires. Both are 225mm. They both fit 17-inch wheels. It's the sidewalls that are in question here. They would be roughly a difference of .88 inches on both sides of the tire, which makes about an inch and a half total smaller tire set. They'd only be used for winter. And they're pretty mild for me.

The width of the tire is identical to the other tires. Both are 225mm.
That's actually not the width of the tire. What I'm referring to is called the "section width" and it is affected by the tread width and aspect ratio, and varies by tire construction as well. This is one of the things you look at to determine if a tire will work on your wheels, as well as the diameter.

A 225/55 has a section width of about 9" when mounted on a 7" wheel and a suggested rim width range of 6-8". However for tighter handling, opt for a tire that is on the upper end of the rim width range rather than in the middle. This is one of the reasons I believe the 225/55 Toyo A36 that comes on these cars feels so squishy; it's a 9" tire on a 7" (bead width) wheel.

Click "Specs":

Section width increases with wheel width; the 245/45 I'm installing will have a section width of about 10" on a 9" wheel (9" at the tire mounting beads, 10" actual width face to face), which should be perfect:

Last edited:
The width of the tire is identical to the other tires. Both are 225mm. They both fit 17-inch wheels. It's the sidewalls that are in question here. They would be roughly a difference of .88 inches on both sides of the tire, which makes about an inch and a half total smaller tire set. They'd only be used for winter. And they're pretty mild for me.
Are you going to put them on some different rims, so you can swap them out?

Are you going to put them on some different rims, so you can swap them out?
No the tires would both use the same Mazda CX-5 standard rims 17 inch and not sure what their set back is. But the point is, the tire measurement from top of tread to road is only 1 1/2 inches smaller than what it is with the 65 R17s. The 225 is the width of the tread and they're both the same.

That's actually not the width of the tire. What I'm referring to is called the "section width" and it is affected by the tread width and aspect ratio, and varies by tire construction as well. This is one of the things you look at to determine if a tire will work on your wheels, as well as the diameter.

A 225/55 has a section width of about 9" when mounted on a 7" wheel and a suggested rim width range of 6-8". However for tighter handling, opt for a tire that is on the upper end of the rim width range rather than in the middle. This is one of the reasons I believe the 225/55 Toyo A36 that comes on these cars feels so squishy; it's a 9" tire on a 7" (bead width) wheel.

Click "Specs":

Section width increases with wheel width; the 245/45 I'm installing will have a section width of about 10" on a 9" wheel (9" at the tire mounting beads, 10" actual width face to face), which should be perfect:

Section width is the tire "bulge" which is the most varied dimension as it can change with the seasons due to varied air pumped into the tire and outside air temperature. I was clearly talking about tread width. I'm not worried about section width. And 225 is the tread width.

Section width is the tire "bulge" which is the most varied dimension as it can change with the seasons due to varied air pumped into the tire and outside air temperature. I was clearly talking about tread width. I'm not worried about section width. And 225 is the tread width.
Section Width
A tire's section width (also called "cross section width") is the measurement of the tire's width from its inner sidewall to its outer sidewall (excluding any protective ribs, decorations or raised letters) at the widest point. This measurement is made without any load placed upon the tire and after the tire has been properly mounted on its industry assigned measuring rim and has been inflated and reset to its test pressure after 24 hours.

Because a tire's section width is influenced by the width of the rim upon which the tire is mounted, the correct industry assigned measuring rim width for the tire size being measured must be used.

The width of a tire mounted on a narrow rim would be "narrower" than if the same tire was mounted on a wide rim.

You asked if you can safely use these tires on your Mazda 17" wheels. Whether or not they can be safely used is dependent upon the tire being the right width for the wheel.

That's the reason for my post. I was only answering your question.

But the point is, the tire measurement from top of tread to road is only 1 1/2 inches smaller than what it is with the 65 R17s.

This has nothing to do with safety, but your speedometer error at 50mph will be 3.2mph.

1710375734128.png

1710375821195.png

Last edited:
A general rule is the diameter should be within 3% of the OEM tires. Going from a 225x65 (OEM) to 225x55 on the same size of rim would be 6.6%. See the calculator here Tire Size Calculator: What Size Tires Should You Get?. IMO I wouldn’t do what you are planning.
From Les Schwab: "Our tire size calculator is for general comparison purposes only. We don’t recommend that you base sizing or purchase decisions on the calculator alone. A tire’s true physical size can vary from the dimensions provided by the tire manufacturer, and this tool does not take into account other important application factors like load index and speed rating. These calculations (and those provided by all online tire dimension calculators) don’t account for these variations." I'm good.

Back