Windshield stress crack at three weeks? (And total blow off from dealer's service pe

jarcher107

:
2014 CX-5, Touring, Bose/moonroof, formerly 1994 RX-7
Hopped in my three week old 2014 Touring, after a night in the forties, highs today low sixties, and saw a 13-14" long straight crack dead in the middle of the windshield, running from the bottom up, with a 2" or so hook to the left at the top NO sign of any dings, and i'm the only driver, nothing has hit the windshield, and it's not even parked where so much as an acorn could fall on it. Called the service department from the selling dealer (the only dealer in town), and he said "I'll have my glass guy call you right back." His "glass guy" is not connected to Mazda, he is one of those who has no shop but goes to customers, and all he really wanted to know was my insurance claim authorization. I got off the phone with him, and while I know that yes, my own insurance will cover with no deductible, I frankly think this is a stress break and that Mazda should at least have asked to take a look at it, not just shoved me off to someone they recommend (who is not, as it happens, anyone my insurance company has ever heard of.) TOTAL lack of interest or concern, three weeks and one day after I buy their car. I had great experiences in NJ with two Mazda dealers, but this one is showing me nothing. I frankly don't think my insurance company should eat what certainly appears to be a Mazda problem. Thoughts? So far it's love the car, hate the dealer.

Last edited:
It happens. Not much the dealer can really do about it. I had a 2001 PT Cruiser for several years and its windshield cracked all the way across the bottom one day. No idea why. Replaced it and it was fine. There may have been a minute defect in the glass that caused it,maybe it was dinged in transit. Who knows. Let the glass guy replace it and if it does it again in short order,then maybe take it up with the dealer.

.... Thoughts? So far it's love the car, hate the dealer.
In addition to what Arnold63 said, my suggestion would be get to the Dealership manager maybe? Not in aggressive/I'm entitled kinda way, but in a way that they would want to help you.
Here's an example.. my husband has MB R-class, and while we didn't buy it from a local dealer, we take it there to service. Their policy was 'loaner cars for those customers who bought their car here"... well, I went to the manager and said (this was when I had the old Lexus) - my car will need to be replaced soon, so if you would like for me buy a car here, the best way to persuade me would be to let me drive one. It would be really great if I could get a loaner when my husband's car is being serviced (because I am the one who usually brings it in). Guess what? I get a loaner every time :)
Another example, what you could say to the manager is that "I have a bunch of friends who are looking at/will be looking soon/ to buy a car. What is the best way for me to recommend them your dealership?" They should get the hint, they care about word of mouth referrals.

Anyway, just my opinion. I do think windshield cracking after 3 weeks is not cool.

Last edited:
I did a thoroughly non-scientific "fingernail test" on the windshield, and the largest part of the crack is at the bottom of the windshield, at the upper end of the crack, can't feel a thing, no chip, no sign of any impact. Yes, I've had windshields crack before, but only on older cars, and after one of those hard "dings" that can then spread. The total blow off from Mazda is really unimpressive: i pointed out it's a three week old car, no dings that I heard at the time (and I'm the only driver), or can see, and one super-straight break from the bottom edge, all of which I think warrants a closer look, not a "Go talk to this guy I get kickbacks from, and have your insurance company eat it."

Take it to other Mazda dealer for diagnosis.

I hauled it to MY "glass guy"..no one, including my insurance company, had heard of Mazda's, and frankly, when I'm replacing a windshield on a car so new I still don't have the registration papers, I want to be able to have c something more than a cell phone number for the installer if problems pop up....and it took three people looking hard, but we finally found the chip that started it, about a quarter inch under where the windshield wipers rest. Sigh..about thirty years with no windshield issues, three weeks into the new car..and it was a road hazard" chip, though they all thought at first it was a stress crack, since it was straight, and long. Again, my i I had been impressed during my RX-7 days with Maple Shade Mazda in insurance company (AMICA, great company) was fine paying it with no deductible, but I still think this particular Mazda dealership should have said "Bring it in, let's take a look," not just blown me off by saying "their" glass man would call me and having some glass repair guy no one had heard of calling me a wanting my insurance information. I had been really favorably impressed back in my RX-7 days with both Maple Shade Mazda in south Jersey and the Wayne dealership in north Jersey. Stokes Mazda in Charleston SC? At this point, heck, I'm happy to encourage people to try a CX-5, and I'm willing to drive them to any other dealer. This place doesn't bother much with customer service, very short sighted. Oh well..again, love the car, am averaging 30.1 mpg, and 43 mph, diring rather bi-polar-ly, not that that is a word..on straight flat stretches, I turn it over to cruise control for mileage, when the road is more fun, I fling it around.

To determine if its a stress crack or an impact, take a ballpoint pin. Try to hold it as flimsly as possible between two fingers and slide it along the crack. If it meets resistance, then you have a point of impact. If none detected, then its a stress crack and should be warranty. Stress crack will come out within the first few thousand kms or miles of driving.

BTW, I once had my own front snow tire throw a rock up in the air and it came down on my new car ( 10 minutes old) and cracked the windshield. It broke my heart....

Okay, well CX5Dude, I'd say your luck was worse than mine EXCEPT they put in the new windshield yesterday (it took a while, and a lot of $$$ it seems, to get one from mazda), and on my way home, THUNK!, rock to the windshield, and a chip out of the world's shiniest new windshield. It's tiny, imminently repairable at the moment, so Monday, back we go. (At least my insurance covers all this, no deductible, and it doesn't count as a claim.)

Unfortunately, windshields aren't covered by warranty. Only a goodwill of the manager may help, but usually the replacement cost goes back to the owner.
I have a friend that same happened to him with 3 month old Honda Odyssey. He had to pay for front windshield.

Back