Rear hatch glass shattered suddenly for no reason 2023 CX-5 Signature Turbo

Was this like the NorCal Bay Area breal-in special? :rolleyes::oops:
Atlanta! We had nothing in the car. They hit 30+ vehicles in the hotel parking lot overnight. It was a great way to start the day considering we were there to bring my daughter to the aquarium for her birthday 🤦‍♂️ got some 10 mil plastic sheeting and clear packaging tape, rolled into that aquarium on time and in style.

I love this stuff.
FWIW I also love troubleshooting and finding root causes. Early in my career with the Navy, I got involved with mishap investigations when there were aircraft engine problems that our fleet maintainers could not solve. It was a dream job for a motorhead like me and the most fun I have had in my career. Like you, I do quality assurance now. I'm a consultant to NASA. We don't have the equivalent of DCMA embedded with our commercial partners like SpaceX and Blue Origin.

It is interesting the issue is brought up today. There have been many instances of failed moonroofs on the forums - this is the first time I have read about failed rear hatch glass. Personally, I think it IS a manufacturers issue (defect). I would definitely speak to Mazda corporate about it as it should be covered on such a new car. I can understand a windshield not being covered if it cracks from being hit, but the rear hatch glass? I guess there is always a possibility something struck it you weren't aware of?

This is my first Mazda. My experience with other manufacturers is that if the local dealer won't go to bat for you, the corporate office will not pay attention unless one goes to great lengths to document everything and write a detailed letter and keep pestering them for a response. This includes Toyota who is normally known for outstanding quality. @chickdr are you suggesting Mazda corporate may be different? My time is worth something to me and I don't want to waste hours on something just to get the run around. The local dealer already told me to pound sand.

I would definitely at least give them a call and open a case. You only had to pay $200 to replace it,
but it is still 200 you shouldn't have had to pay IMHO. Kind of depends on you I guess.

Last week, I got into my CX-5 to run errands and when I shut my driver's door, the rear hatch glass shattered into a million pieces. When I called my dealer to figure out what to do and find out if this was covered under warranty, they were not much help. The service manager told me glass breakage is not covered under warranty and that it is too difficult for them to know if it truly happened by itself or if it was due to vandalism. When he checked availability for new rear hatch glass, he was told this part is backordered in the US with no known delivery date. I find that curious. If mine is an isolated incident, why is this part backordered indefinitely? Fortunately, Safelite had rear hatch glass in stock and $200 later, my CX-5 was fixed. Has anyone else had this problem?
Our 2021 CX-5 just had the same problem today. My husband closed the driver's side door and the rear hatch glass also shattered into a million pieces for no apparent reason!

Our 2021 CX-5 just had the same problem today. My husband closed the driver's side door and the rear hatch glass also shattered into a million pieces for no apparent reason!
This is why I started this thread - to see if anyone else suffered this failure. Have you or your husband talked to your local dealer to see if they are willing to help? You are likely to face same resistance from dealer that I did. My dealer told me the rear hatch glass was no national backorder in the Mazda supply chain with no known delivery date. This begs the question, "Why is the part on national back order if this failure is rare?" That backorder situation basically forced me to go to Safelite Auto Glass to get my car back on the road quickly and kept me from pushing Mazda dealer or corporate to do something.

I would think if it was common, there would be more discussion about it on the forums. I see many more posts about sunroof glass issues than rear hatch. Honestly, this thread has the only instances I have ever heard of. It is interesting about the backorder though.

Back