Will Synthetic oil ruin my turbo?

Nothing in the manual recommends (or prohibits) synthetic oil, just that it meets the industry specs and is the right weight. It is too bad the dealers often know less than an informed consumer, but it isn't only Mazda dealers, it's all of 'em. Surprising since the entire industry is in the toilet for one reason or another.

synthetic oil doesnt break down as easy as dino oil but, when it breaks down, it seems its harder to be cleaned than dino oil... thats why synthetic oil is a big NO NO to rotary engine...

Synthetic is not recommended in a rotary because oil is metered into the fuel to improve sealing in their long rectangular combustion chamber. The synthetic doesn't burn well.

Hang out on www.bobistheoilguy.com if you want to learn about oils, or save yourself the time and just use Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 in an MS3. It handles the characteristic fuel dilution better than other oils and doesn't shear down in viscosity. I used Mobil 1 for 25 years, I use PP now. It's even cheaper.
-enganear

Synthetic is not recommended in a rotary because oil is metered into the fuel to improve sealing in their long rectangular combustion chamber. The synthetic doesn't burn well.

Hang out on www.bobistheoilguy.com if you want to learn about oils, or save yourself the time and just use Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 in an MS3. It handles the characteristic fuel dilution better than other oils and doesn't shear down in viscosity. I used Mobil 1 for 25 years, I use PP now. It's even cheaper.
-enganear

Is that within specs stated in the service manual? Also, if I bought some of that do you think the service techs at Mazda would put it in since it's not 5w30? Oh, and where do you buy that?

I would use either a 10W-30 or a 5W-40. Either way, you want the oil to remain thick when hot, rather than shearing down to a 15 or 20 weight after 4-5k miles.

i remember hearing something about cam timeing survo and cam chain was the reason. i dont but much stock in the no synthetic i run mobil one and i changed over too royal purple not to long ago. local autoparts store started to cary it

Is that within specs stated in the service manual? Also, if I bought some of that do you think the service techs at Mazda would put it in since it's not 5w30? Oh, and where do you buy that?

You will probably get some story from the Mazda techs, all they know is 5W30 for the MS3 and 5W20 for the regular 3 and they frequently confuse that. The only reliable oil change is the one you do yourself.

I buy my PP at OReilly's, but Walmart carries it, too.
-enganear

Another one here on penzoil platinum. No issues, and catless as well. I get a bit of smoke at start up and when its cold out, but no smoke once warm! I'm gonna stay on the pp

Damnit this stuff ticks me off. The science behind syn backs up everything everyone here is saying, and what I kinda thought on my own. Pisses me off the dealers don't know their ass from their elbow. I mean s***, they only work on mazdas all day long, might be useful for them to read an owner's manual or two.

Do not ask your dealer any questions about your car. They are one of if not the worse sources of information available.

You may find someone there that knows their ass from a hole in the ground, but more than liklely, you will not

My degree is in aersoace engineering, air breathing systems are sort of something I know alot about. A turbo isn't a whole lot different then a jet emgine in some respects. I can't see how oil type would matter much. One dealer told me that synthetic oil holds heat better, and thus trasnfers it to the turbo. To me it sounded like he had a misunderstanding of how synthetic oil works.

It scares the crap out of me that these are the people I trust with my car. The only reason I worry about this at all is because my car is the most expensive thing I own, and I already ruined one this summer (flood). I don't want to kill another.

I think it would be great if car mechanics had to study enineering before they could become a mechanic!

It would be great if engineers had to study to be a mechanic before becoming an engineer, then they may design somethign that is maintenance freindly.

Just because your a mechanic doesnt mean your a good one, as goes with any profession

Amsoil Full synth here - been using it since the first oil change (have had 2 changes now with Amsoil) .. i run it in all my cars

It would be great if engineers had to study to be a mechanic before becoming an engineer, then they may design somethign that is maintenance freindly.

Mach
I agree with that too. I have seen some engineering designs that make my brain hurt. Sometimes the fix is so simple a 6 year old can spot it.

What can ya do?

mobile 1 for the ms3 is ok but after about 1000 miles or so ... fuel dilution is present and oil is dark.

i used both mobile 1 and penzoil plat and penzoil seems to greatly reduce the fuel dilution

mobile 1 for the ms3 is ok but after about 1000 miles or so ... fuel dilution is present and oil is dark.

i used both mobile 1 and penzoil plat and penzoil seems to greatly reduce the fuel dilution

I belive your oil is suppossed to get dark, thats a good thing.

fuel dilution? are your rings bad?

lol when is dark oil ever good?

well i just assume that since the mobile 1 showed earlier signs of break down like getting darker and such that it was caused by more fuel dilution. I believe some cars do have fuel dilution regardless if the rings are good, just not enough to cause enough lost of vascosity to the point of engine failure.

Back