Wife sent me this picture of the CX-5 today. Oh boy.....this after less than 1 month

:
2014 GT AWD / Tech / Skyblue
windshield.jpg

(rant)

Last edited:
I haven't looked at it but she said there's no chip where the crack started. Will have to see for myself. If there's no such crack, does this fall under "stress crack = defective windshield = warranty coverage"? I do have full coverage with glass so don't think I have to pay anything for it but if Mazda covers it, I rather have a factory glass than some Geico aftermarket glass.

And this isn't the first time something like this has happened either, there's definitely a thread somewhere where people had this same exact issue. Could it have to do with the installation of some of the sensors or maybe the mirror in the factory?

And this isn't the first time something like this has happened either, there's definitely a thread somewhere where people had this same exact issue. Could it have to do with the installation of some of the sensors or maybe the mirror in the factory?

The tech package has that huge City Brake sensor on the top. From the picture she sent me, that's where it seem to came from.

The scbs sensors are in the front grill in the bottom left & right of the honeycomb grill.

I don't think so. In the front grill there should be the frontal parking sensors. I'll take a look on my manual.

Oh I hope that's not the SCBS sensor's fault - bad news for a lot of us then. But it certainly looks like it.

My condolences mikeee2.

I don't think so. In the front grill there should be the frontal parking sensors. I'll take a look on my manual.

the front parking sensors are in the bumper/fender not the grill

the auto lights/wiper sensors are at the top of the windshield

Here I am! The manual is in italian, but pictures are... international!

foto-2.JPG
SCBS sensor position

foto-3.JPG
In the grill there are also two frontal parking sensors, frontal lateral ones are in the bumper.
I'm sorry if I'm a little bit OT.

Last edited:
Well i now know were the laser is, good work.

I've read of two others that have cracked, but definitely one wasn't from the laser position.

I do have full coverage with glass so don't think I have to pay anything for it but if Mazda covers it, I rather have a factory glass than some Geico aftermarket glass.
A rock connected with the windshield of the 2013 and was replaced by Safelite via Geico. They used OEM glass since aftermarket is not yet available. Took about 1 1/2 hours and did it at our location.

A rock connected with the windshield of the 2013 and was replaced by Safelite via Geico. They used OEM glass since aftermarket is not yet available. Took about 1 1/2 hours and did it at our location.

I see that you have a 2013 in your signature too. How was the job? Did you have to pay? I see that you can file a claim online. Just curious how long it took for this guy to come out and do it?

Ok, I came home and took a few more pics. I don't see any bulleye's or star crack but I did see a "tiny possibly rock chip". See the picture circle in GREEN. I run my nail and ball point pen on it and felt it.

20130328_193503%2520%2520-%2520Copy.jpg

20130328_191051.jpg

20130328_192646.jpg

I see that you have a 2013 in your signature too. How was the job? Did you have to pay? I see that you can file a claim online. Just curious how long it took for this guy to come out and do it?
Appointment was made last week for yesterday. I've used Safelite in the past and never had any issues with leakers, etc. They do clean work. Appointment was for between 8 & 12, arrived @ 8:30 and was done by 10. Can't drive the car for 2 hours after install so best to figure that into your plans.

Ok, I came home and took a few more pics. I don't see any bulleye's or star crack but I did see a "tiny possibly rock chip". See the picture circle in GREEN. I run my nail and ball point pen on it and felt it.
That's probably the culprit. On another thread about a cracked windshield which the OP thought it was a manufacturers defect, the glass tech pointed out the point of contact that was almost imperceptible. Seems that it doesn't take much to compromise these windshields. If I can help it, I usually stay far away from any landscaper or gravel trucks that spew wayward stones.

Appointment was made last week for yesterday. I've used Safelite in the past and never had any issues with leakers, etc. They do clean work. Appointment was for between 8 & 12, arrived @ 8:30 and was done by 10. Can't drive the car for 2 hours after install so best to figure that into your plans.

Do they have weekend appointments? I was thinking to see if I can take this up with the dealer to see if this is a faulty windshield. There is no apparent bulleyes or star crack hit which leads me to think this may be a stress crack.

Back