Why should I NOT buy a CX7 GT?

The problem is the proper dash kits aren't available. They will be soon. Your concerns will be resolved. So this won't be an issue down the road.

These kinds of problems are ALWAYS there with a new vehicle. There is no such thing as a perfect vehicle.

These kind of problems can be avoided by just buying the vehicle with the oem nav unit. ;)

Yeah well If the CEL comes on and the car is driving Fine I Still drive my car around, Unless its something serious and detectable, THEN my day is ruined, other than that, CEL's don't bother me one bit, I never Had that problem in my CX-7, though. First year Honda products aren't all they're cracked up to be. Also, you can always stop at a Autozone and borrow one of those Code readers and Clear out the code/see if its worth taking a trip down to the dealer.

So someone spends 30k USD on a CX-7 and they're supposed to drive around with a CEL all the time, or buy a scan tool for $100-200 and then decide whether or not that particular code is worth going into the dealer for?

You may as well take the dash apart and apply electrical tape to the check engine light so that you just never see it anymore.

I've owned several first year Honda's and not one of them had *any* problems that weren't used-inflicted (IE: I broke the throttle cable on my '02 RSX Type S, but this was my own fault).

Hell, I owned a first-year F-150 ('04 supercrew)... it was perfect for the 2 year lease and over 50,000 KM. The only issue I had with that vehicle was a bulb burning out, but domestics all seem to have a bulb or two that burns out within the first year.

My CX-7 has had more problems than all of my other vehicles combined... and based on the mileage, that's pretty rough... I'm only 14,000 KM into ownership of my CX-7.

Last edited:
So someone spends 30k USD on a CX-7 and they're supposed to drive around with a CEL all the time, or buy a scan tool for $100-200 and then decide whether or not that particular code is worth going into the dealer for?

You may as well take the dash apart and apply electrical tape to the check engine light so that you just never see it anymore.

I've owned several first year Honda's and not one of them had *any* problems that weren't used-inflicted (IE: I broke the throttle cable on my '02 RSX Type S, but this was my own fault).

Hell, I owned a first-year F-150 ('04 supercrew)... it was perfect for the 2 year lease and over 50,000 KM. The only issue I had with that vehicle was a bulb burning out, but domestics all seem to have a bulb or two that burns out within the first year.

My CX-7 has had more problems than all of my other vehicles combined... and based on the mileage, that's pretty rough... I'm only 14,000 KM into ownership of my CX-7.
Autozone lets me borrow the scan tool for free :D, and My mother had nothing but rattles and squeaks and problems in her Oddessy, So Honda in my eyes, isn't as reliable as every one says.

Stock units are hackable to allow for operation during drive modes. However, if its a well designed unit you don't really need it... You can save multiple destinations and look for POI (banks, gas, hotels) while driving via voice commands. Its also becoming more difficult to do a clean aftermarket radio install as the newer cars are integrated completely into the dash.

I can DEF expect better from a 1st year car.

it hasnt been JUST the gas cap. people have gotten that replaced and/or had it from day 1 and have had check engine lights.

I really dont care WHAT the check engine light is about, the fact that it ruins a day (s) and includes a dealer visit is enough for me to be fed up with it. I had never even seen my check engine light in my Hondas starting with my 1st 95 2 door (233k miles) through every accord/crv/ridgeline (i have owned 1st year prod models since the redesigns if the accord in 97 or 98 dont remember, and 03, & 1st year crv's) I would never think twice about purchasing a first year Honda.

the engine light is a fluke in the 7, along with other many "warranty" fixes that koala had referred to. The quality and reliability needs to be improved, ESPECIALLY for winter driving. (heating up times, the imrc valve/shutter valve problems etc.)

Great car, drives fantastic and its so fun to drive that this factor sometimes makes you not pay attention to its shortcomings.

This is how I see it: A major problem is an inconvenience, but an inconvenience isn't necessarily a major problem. The CX-7's quirks fall into the latter IMO.

Autozone lets me borrow the scan tool for free :D, and My mother had nothing but rattles and squeaks and problems in her Oddessy, So Honda in my eyes, isn't as reliable as every one says.

Honda isn't as reliable as anyone thinks... they're about lower 1/3rd in frequency of problems (Porsche and Lexus are both at the very top).

It's just that regardless of Honda's reliability, and FORD's (eww), it has been leaps and bounds above Mazda, in my personal ownership experiences.

My wife is looking at this as her next car and I see so many great things about it but what do you guys not liek about your CX7? We are looking at a loaded GT, AWD. TIA for the help.

I really Did not like the Bose or Standard Audio, nor did I like the NAV, And for that reason I got my mom to Pick up(HOPEFULLY) a Loaded Outlander, with that awesome sound system/Music Server Dealie thingy.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like what the Outlander has to offer as far as sound system. It has Rockford Fosgate, iPod integration, a hard drive, navi, bluetooth, trip computer, diagnostics, etc. Our CX7 is 10x better looking though and much faster. If the CX7 is non existent, I would have bought the Outlander since I had 2 Mitsus before: the Eclipse and the Montero Sport.

The outlander does look nice but the CX-7 wins any styling contest hands down, She needed a new car and I wanted her to get the outlander, We pick it up today. The Handling is also not as great as the CX-7's but its better than the rest. I really love the DSP fields too, sorta simulates surround, and Might I add much better than Centerpoint.

There was an Evo-lander concept floating around SEMA this year. That will be HOT if they produce it!

If it wasn't for all the dive gears, I would have taken a MS3 over the CX-7. But I guess the RX-8 makes up for it.

Just get the basic FWD model, its the best car for the money, It's only been like 7 months for mine and I have 12,000 + miles on it!! Don't get the slow AWD or the tech(lack thereof) package. NO problems with mine, and I drive on bad roads of NYC, and I throw it around (don't care about pot-holes) no squeaking or vibration, its flawless (but i keep mine squeaky clean + no bumper scratches on it yet!!!!). I installed the iPod adapter in less than 20 min. FWD model = best car for the money now. Get it. O yea, my gas cap throws a check engine light once in a while, so i step out and tighten it and wait a couple of days for the check engine light to turn off. I wouldn't even bother goin to the dealer for that gas cap, they'll probably break something.

Last edited:
All these people are nuts. All CX-7 sold after the first shipment have the new gas caps. I have a AWD with tech and have an Ipod video hooked up that displays the album cover and song title on the OEM navi unit, also plays videos. Good luck doing that on an aftermarket unit. Don't listen to these crazy people, I personaly have sold over 30 CX-7's and the only problem any of my customers have had was the gas cap. Mikey bought a lemon and that happens with all cars, sorry mike but didn't they take care of the problem or are you still out $30k? I also own two myself and wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle at the price. Feel free to PM me if you are looking for the real story on this vehicle.

since you are in the business of selling this vehicle, i guess you are the trustworthy source of information regarding the car (screwy)

mazda took care of the situation...and i am currently out of that vehicle. I am 100% SATISFIED and actually completely unbelievably impressed with Mazda;s customer service regarding my matter. it couldnt have been handled better and more professionaly, and i tip my hat to them. Unfortunately, it just wasnt enough to get me back into this car.

A year after purchasing my CX and 23k mi later I've never had a check engine light. I've had a few TSB's performed but that's about it. Did have a detonation problem but that was narrowed to the brand of fuel. 76/Conoco/Phillips 66 is crap! Chevron, Shell, Sinclar, and Cenex FTW!

since you are in the business of selling this vehicle, i guess you are the trustworthy source of information regarding the car (screwy)

mazda took care of the situation...and i am currently out of that vehicle. I am 100% SATISFIED and actually completely unbelievably impressed with Mazda;s customer service regarding my matter. it couldnt have been handled better and more professionaly, and i tip my hat to them. Unfortunately, it just wasnt enough to get me back into this car.

Nice, glad they took good care of you. Next time around give Mazda another try. I personal take great pride in my customer service skills and its good to know that I'm backed by a company that does the same. I would most likely feel the same way and not want another CX-7 but I LOVE both of mine. (guitar)

Hands down CX7 FWD is one of the best low $20,000 cars u can get. Or a Camry SE 4 with a Stickshift/leather/&nav!

^Mine cost $26,000??? We just bought it a couple weeks ago. CX-7 Sport with power driver's seat and mp3 6 disc in dash. Think I might have gotten a raw deal???

Issues:

Tech Package Nav/Radio Head Unit isn't all that great. It's missing some very basic features that even cheapo radios have (like pause/mute and a properly working random function). No integrated iPod support and no integrated bluetooth.

If you could get the tech package WITHOUT the radio, I'd say do it. The advanced smart-key system is very cool (I love it). Unforunately, they don't sell it that way. It's all or nothing.

I had the check engine light come on only once, and Mazda addressed the issue immediately and I've had no problems since. New ones will not have the same issue, and most CELs will be due to an improperly secured gas cap (and that's true of MOST new cars).

The interior plastics (black) scuff very easily, and the interior carpeting is quite cheap. I love the way the car looks inside when it's clean, but it gets dirty quick, and the scuffing can be a little annoying. Overall though, it wouldn't keep me from buying the car again.

The only REAL downside for me has been the radio (which I took care of by going aftermarket) and gas mileage, which I knew ahead of time. If you want 30 or more MPG and don't want to fill up with premium gas, don't even look at this car. I'm lucky to get 20-22 on the highway, but 17-18 is really typical. Luckily, I don't have a long commute each day.

I am ultimately VERY happy with the CX-7 and if I could go back in time I wouldn't change my decision to buy it. I looked around at a lot of vehicles in this crossover class and the CX-7 was clearly the funnest to drive and the best value for the money.

^Mine cost $26,000??? We just bought it a couple weeks ago. CX-7 Sport with power driver's seat and mp3 6 disc in dash. Think I might have gotten a raw deal???

Did you get the Sport FWD version? I did see a 19K version on the lot when I went to look but it was pure stock!

Back