Why should I NOT buy a CX7 GT?

IrishMidak

:
Mazdaspeed 3 GT
My wife is looking at this as her next car and I see so many great things about it but what do you guys not liek about your CX7? We are looking at a loaded GT, AWD. TIA for the help.

NO IPOD PLAYER...I really don't care since I don't have one.
CHEAP CARPET....
INTERIOR PLASTICS KIND OF CHEAP...
NO BLUETOOTH....
NO PAUSE OR MUTE BUTTON FOR TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE...
NOT THE BEST NAVIGATION SYSTEM....although I'm happy with it....

Thats about all I can think of..............anybody else?

My wife is looking at this as her next car and I see so many great things about it but what do you guys not liek about your CX7? We are looking at a loaded GT, AWD. TIA for the help.

If she's tested it, and if it has enough room, and if she's not a techy or gearhead (blue tooth, CAI, etc.), and if she enjoys spirited driving, taut handling and superior brakes... BUY IT - SHE'LL LOVE IT!!!!

Oh, oh, I know! 'Cause SUV's suck! :D
Just when I thought you were ok Foolish. I could say the same about your station wagon :flip:

(jokes, jokes:))

All kidding aside, the only thing I hate about my CX-7 is that they wimped out and put a smaller turbo on the DISI than the MS6. Not that it is a slouch in any way. Mine is no GT, but I don't need the gadgets anyway...

I will withhold all my emotions that ive dealt with on this vehicle and give u the simpilest answer i can come up with:

R E L I A B I L I T Y.

this car across the board is not reliable. Some people have had zero problems, some if not most have experienced a few, some, or MANY problems. Do yourself a favor and read ALL the customer reviews on Edmunds.com and browse the TSB's posted on this site to get a flavor for the CX-7 - read reviewers who have actually driven the car for a little while and not the people who bought it, drove it home, and wrote up a review after spending 5 minutes in it.

and if anything at all, wait till the 08's are on the lot.

im not saying dont buy it, just, consider your options and research.

shows how much I know, I thought the CX7 was just detuned, i didn't know it came with a whole different turbo!!

gas

I think some people don't like the concept of using of premium gas.
If you have concerns that it is not "toyota" quality.
If you want a unique looking car, I wouldn't get it. Some people really do want a ubiquitous looking vehicle.
That's all any objective person can really complain about.
At the price I got this for, there is absolutely nothing that can touch it-nothing!

NO IPOD PLAYER...I really don't care since I don't have one.
CHEAP CARPET....
INTERIOR PLASTICS KIND OF CHEAP...
NO BLUETOOTH....
NO PAUSE OR MUTE BUTTON FOR TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE...
NOT THE BEST NAVIGATION SYSTEM....although I'm happy with it....

Thats about all I can think of..............anybody else?
No mute is almost a deal breaker for me/us. How does the nav compare to aftermarket types like the Garmin Nuvi 350 or Lowrance iWay 500c? The nav is a must for someone like her who is afraid to venture out to the unknown.

I will withhold all my emotions that ive dealt with on this vehicle and give u the simpilest answer i can come up with:

R E L I A B I L I T Y.

and if anything at all, wait till the 08's are on the lot.

im not saying dont buy it, just, consider your options and research.

Oh, I am definitely getting an '08 in January and this is the part of my research - coming to you, the owners.

no mute button is that big of an issue? you can't just turn the volume down, or turn off the radio like most people in the world??? so did you never own a car before 2003??

How does the nav compare to aftermarket types like the Garmin Nuvi 350 or Lowrance iWay 500c? The nav is a must for someone like her who is afraid to venture out to the unknown.
On the topic of factory vs. Aftermarket NAV systems, from TheTruthAboutCars.com:
Car Buying Tips: The Truth About Factory-Fitted Satellite Navigation Systems

Article summery: Go aftermarket, you'll get better features for less money, and you can swap it into your other vehicles! I've read similar conclusions in other articles, as well.

As for my my smart-ass SUV comment: I admit I'm a smart-ass, with a strong anti SUV bias. I've never found them to be sporty or have much utility, but that's clearly my opinion.

It's a crossover not an SUV.
SUV 's are built on a truck chassis. Crossovers on a car chassis.
Maybe you could be more precise about what you don't like.
Sounds like the concept and not the actual capability of what you get.
Maybe you are also anti-crossover , too.

On the topic of factory vs. Aftermarket NAV
As for my my smart-ass SUV comment: I admit I'm a smart-ass, with a strong anti SUV bias. I've never found them to be sporty or have much utility, but that's clearly my opinion.

On the topic of factory vs. Aftermarket NAV systems, from TheTruthAboutCars.com:
Car Buying Tips: The Truth About Factory-Fitted Satellite Navigation Systems

Article summery: Go aftermarket, you'll get better features for less money, and you can swap it into your other vehicles! I've read similar conclusions in other articles, as well.

I disagree. Granted they are more expensive but a) it looks cleaner and b) you can actually see the screen.

I have experienced some of these tom-tom Garmin portable units and I spent more time going into the settings to find the actual name of the road I was turning on because was next to three other roads. Not to mention the cords everywhere between my iPod, Radar and then GPS. They really arent what they're cracked up to be.

I would buy a certified used Lexus RX330, It'll cost you a little more then a new fully loaded CX-7. Lexus has great service and they make quality safe vehicles. Just a tip if they won't work on a price get them to throw in all the vehicles maintenance for 3 years.

It's a crossover not an SUV.
SUV 's are built on a truck chassis. Crossovers on a car chassis.
Maybe you could be more precise about what you don't like.
Sounds like the concept and not the actual capability of what you get.
Maybe you are also anti-crossover , too.

Well, I wasn't going to get into it, 'cause that's not what the O.P. asked for. I understand the SUV/Crossover distinction, but see that mostly as marketing, functionally, I find them to be the same.

I disagree. Granted they are more expensive but a) it looks cleaner and b) you can actually see the screen.

Understandable, but I've also heard a number of people with the various Mazda factory NAV units complain about the fact that the unit is completely locked out while they're driving, so that even if they have a passenger who could enter a new destination, etc. they still have to stop the car to use the damned thing!

Aftermarket units seem to me like the way to go.

Well they both have 4 doors, a steering wheel, brakes, 4 tires, and a marketing department.
But the driving/handling is totally different.
Of course this issue is not relevant for lots of people, so I understand your point of view.
Myself, I drive a pickup. The CX-7 is my wifes'.
I don't mind driving a dog , like you. I 've got a big pickup bed to load lots of junk. It works out great. I even have 4 doors. You may even consider my ride an SUV. I do use lots of gas.

Well, I wasn't going to get into it, 'cause that's not what the O.P. asked for. I understand the SUV/Crossover distinction, but see that mostly as marketing, functionally, I find them to be the same.

Aftermarket units seem to me like the way to go.

Back