Why should I NOT buy a CX7 GT?

My gripes:

1) For the price, the interior should be a little more plush. You'll find that with any car under $40k these days though. Cheap bastards.

2) The lack of iPod connectivity is popular complaint. However, if you know how to work a screwdriver then installing something like this takes like 20 minutes.

3) Lack of accessories. This will certainly improve with time, but it has been over a year since the CX-7's hit the streets and the accessories catalog is pathetic, especially compared to other Mazda models and the Japanese CX-7 catalog.

Other than that, the CX-7 has had the typical first-year issues, but nothing major. There honestly haven't been any widespread major issues with the CX-7's revealed on this forum. Some occasional gripes about gas mileage, tires, yada yada, but you'll find those on any car forum. It's a solid buy, especially if you're wanting a sporty crossover for under $30k. If you wait until the 2008's come out, they'll probably be even more refined. Have fun car shopping!

Other than that, the CX-7 has had the typical first-year issues, but nothing major. There honestly haven't been any widespread major issues with the CX-7's revealed on this forum. Some occasional gripes about gas mileage, tires, yada yada, but you'll find those on any car forum. It's a solid buy, especially if you're wanting a sporty crossover for under $30k. If you wait until the 2008's come out, they'll probably be even more refined. Have fun car shopping!

Exactly...do you remember the launch for the Tribute back in 2001? What a friggin' nightmare that was! Steering wheels popping off, transmissions seizing, wiper blades popping off, child anchor tethers tearing out, master cylinders failing...there were like 10 or 12 recalls on it!!

At least Mazda learned something from that awful attempt at a new product launch.

You dont consider the check engine lights (false positives or not) a decently major issue? Thats a trip to the dealer each time it goes on.

I have had my GT FWD just two months shy of a year....14,000+ miles on her. First off my car has been very reliable and for those who wonder about Mazda reliability this is my 3rd Mazda and the only one which had a few issues was my RX 8..... only because it had a rotary engine which was the problem. All first year cars of every make and model will have issues. My only gripes are the carpet is a bit chincy but my mats prevent any issues with that so far. My Bose system seems to go out for a few seconds every so often...not a huge deal. The dirt that gets inside the lower part of the doors but I hear there is a fix on that and I have yet to go in for it but it's not that big of a deal to me. It performs and handles beautifully....fun as all heck and very smooth!!! Love zooming past people....great power for a vehicle like this. The CX 7 has awesome styling and just driving it is sheer pleasure!! I wish I had the tech package but I don't. I would recommend it...can't beat the price either!

Mikey...the engine light went on once for me but I knew it must have been the gas cap and sure enough it was not even screwed on...ooops!! It goes off on it's own after so many miles if it is the gas cap which most of the time it is.....I think around 60 miles or so......no need to go into the dealer.

... but I don't need the gadgets anyway...

no mute button is that big of an issue? you can't just turn the volume down, or turn off the radio like most people in the world??? so did you never own a car before 2003??

I like gadgets. I have had plenty of other cars in the past and since getting the MS3 with the mute button on the wheel, I definitely now have that on my list as a wanted option.

Just when I thought you were ok Foolish. I could say the same about your station wagon :flip:

(jokes, jokes:))

All kidding aside, the only thing I hate about my CX-7 is that they wimped out and put a smaller turbo on the DISI than the MS6. Not that it is a slouch in any way. Mine is no GT, but I don't need the gadgets anyway...

I disagree. Granted they are more expensive but a) it looks cleaner and b) you can actually see the screen.

I have experienced some of these tom-tom Garmin portable units and I spent more time going into the settings to find the actual name of the road I was turning on because was next to three other roads. Not to mention the cords everywhere between my iPod, Radar and then GPS. They really arent what they're cracked up to be.

I totally get the pros and cons to both aftermarket navs and factory installed. For me, the big thing is less clutter although not being able to work it while driving is disapointing to say the least. Anyone figure a work around for this yet?

For the record, I am looking at the GT, AWD with the tech package.

Seats are uncomfortable (this thing could benefit from sport seats)
No iPod connection
Nav isn't fully functional while driving (yeah a "safety" feature, but then why does the navigation fully function on many other car brands, including Honda/Acura?)
Very little in the way of storage areas for little items like wallet, cell phone, keys, etc.
No pause/mute button for the stereo
Bose Centerpoint sucks (I don't even use it)- albeit the bose speaker system when running without the centerpoint BS actually sounds quite nice for a factory stereo.

Oh, not to mention the excessive dealer visits for warranty problems... but this is specific to me, you might get lucky and get a CX-7 that isn't a borderline lemon.

I can probably go on... lol.

Positives? Fun to drive for a 4,000 lb vehicle. Styling is very nice, too. Past that... not much.

Well, I wasn't declaring that a deal-breaker, I had just seen it mentioned in posts, and it sounded annoying to me!

Actually, my fathers Lexus RX400H has the same deal with being locked out of Nav while moving.

Well Toyota sucks too then (rofl2)

Oh well, I'd rather be locked out of my factory nav system while driving than use an aftermarket one... the idea of having some gadget attached to my dash isn't very appealing to me.

Reminds me of ricers that used to buy the huge tach and attach it to their dash.

Well, I wasn't declaring that a deal-breaker, I had just seen it mentioned in posts, and it sounded annoying to me!

Oh, I'm with ya 100%. Just got back form a camping trip that I used the nav on every day and even on the road to find food stops. I was using a Lowrance iWay 500c, big and bulky but is an excellent unit. As a safety issue though, I fully understand it because it is completely distracting to type s*** in on a non QWERTY keyboard.

You dont consider the check engine lights (false positives or not) a decently major issue? Thats a trip to the dealer each time it goes on.

Pfft, not in the slightest. Major issues would be an engine that catches on fire at random, faulty tires that cause blowouts/wrecks, electrical shorts, etc. The fact that the silly gas cap is really the only widespread CX-7 "recall" speaks volumes IMO. You really couldn't expect better from a first year model car.

Apparently you are not aware that there are after market units that fit in the dash. radio/nav units that it.

Well Toyota sucks too then (rofl2)

Oh well, I'd rather be locked out of my factory nav system while driving than use an aftermarket one... the idea of having some gadget attached to my dash isn't very appealing to me.

Reminds me of ricers that used to buy the huge tach and attach it to their dash.

Apparently you are not aware that there are after market units that fit in the dash. radio/nav units that it.

Yeah I am fully aware of these units and I've yet to see one that looks like it was actually designed to match the vehicle.

Besides, its not like you can go to a mazda dealer and say "hey, order me a CX-7 loaded with everything, except nav... but tell the factory when they build my vehicle to build the nav. version of the car and leave a giant hole in the dash where the screen would normally go because i'm going to be putting a kenwood double-din unit in there instead"

Driving it, you really can't tell it's an SUV. Mazda did a great job of making sure it felt nimble enough for it's size.

And this is coming from someone who owned two S2000's, which are rather small compared to even most regular compact cars.

The problem is the proper dash kits aren't available. They will be soon. Your concerns will be resolved. So this won't be an issue down the road.

These kinds of problems are ALWAYS there with a new vehicle. There is no such thing as a perfect vehicle.

Yeah I am fully aware of these units and I've yet to see one that looks like it was actually designed to match the vehicle.

Besides, its not like you can go to a mazda dealer and say "hey, order me a CX-7 loaded with everything, except nav... but tell the factory when they build my vehicle to build the nav. version of the car and leave a giant hole in the dash where the screen would normally go because i'm going to be putting a kenwood double-din unit in there instead"

Pfft, not in the slightest. Major issues would be an engine that catches on fire at random, faulty tires that cause blowouts/wrecks, electrical shorts, etc. The fact that the silly gas cap is really the only widespread CX-7 "recall" speaks volumes IMO. You really couldn't expect better from a first year model car.

I can DEF expect better from a 1st year car.

it hasnt been JUST the gas cap. people have gotten that replaced and/or had it from day 1 and have had check engine lights.

I really dont care WHAT the check engine light is about, the fact that it ruins a day (s) and includes a dealer visit is enough for me to be fed up with it. I had never even seen my check engine light in my Hondas starting with my 1st 95 2 door (233k miles) through every accord/crv/ridgeline (i have owned 1st year prod models since the redesigns if the accord in 97 or 98 dont remember, and 03, & 1st year crv's) I would never think twice about purchasing a first year Honda.

the engine light is a fluke in the 7, along with other many "warranty" fixes that koala had referred to. The quality and reliability needs to be improved, ESPECIALLY for winter driving. (heating up times, the imrc valve/shutter valve problems etc.)

Great car, drives fantastic and its so fun to drive that this factor sometimes makes you not pay attention to its shortcomings.

Yeah well If the CEL comes on and the car is driving Fine I Still drive my car around, Unless its something serious and detectable, THEN my day is ruined, other than that, CEL's don't bother me one bit, I never Had that problem in my CX-7, though. First year Honda products aren't all they're cracked up to be. Also, you can always stop at a Autozone and borrow one of those Code readers and Clear out the code/see if its worth taking a trip down to the dealer.

Last edited:
Back