Why are 2017 Cx-5 selling so close to msrp?

Simple answer for us. Our lease ended on one of our cars and we chose the CX-5 to replace it. The CX-5 is a brand new model. Deals aren't there yet. If we had more time would we have waited? Sure.

And I'd rather spend my time doing something fun rather than dickering to save $1k off a $32k car.

Lol. Agreed.
You should buy from wherever you plan to get service though. We do get treated better by the Volvo dealer where we bought our car then we do by the one closer to us.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The most obvious answer is that demand isn't dipping, so why bother giving discounts?

On the other hand, I'm not sure how Mazda deals with their dealers, but I used to work for BMW. I recall thinking it odd that I, as a freelance contractor, would get 20% discount off vehicles but official dealers could only manage 19% discount from BMW. Even then, I think standard discount for them was low, like 8%, and then through sales incentives of new and used cars they could make up qualifying discount to the 19%.

So, coupled with high demand and need for profit from potentially low manufacturer discounts, you're not getting the discounts you deserve ;)

I will say that the dealerships in the Dallas area have lots of inventory in stock, so I can see further discounts coming soon. Mazda has really been pushing the CX-5 in TV ads, so if that isn't moving it in the hot compact SUV segment I don't know what will.

I will say that the dealerships in the Dallas area have lots of inventory in stock, so I can see further discounts coming soon. Mazda has really been pushing the CX-5 in TV ads, so if that isn't moving it in the hot compact SUV segment I don't know what will.

Re-education of the consumer!

Lol. Agreed.
You should buy from wherever you plan to get service though. We do get treated better by the Volvo dealer where we bought our car then we do by the one closer to us.

I used to think that this did not matter. That is until I was talking shop with my friend who is a Toyota Master Tech. While we were discussing a particular hard to diagnose drivability case, and a hard to please customer, where the car would only do something like a noise or vibration, for a brief moment, at a very particular speed, under special circumstances.

My friend the Tech: "...and he didn't even buy the car from our dealer either."

Me: "Oh? Does that matter?"

My friend: "Yes it can sometimes tip the scales in the customers favor, we will make an extra effort to satisfy them."

I thought that was very interesting to hear that coming from him, and made me consider it a little more now.

I used to think that this did not matter. That is until I was talking shop with my friend who is a Toyota Master Tech. While we were discussing a particular hard to diagnose drivability case, where the car would only do something like a noise or vibration, for a brief moment, at a very particular speed, under special circumstances.

My friend: "Yes it can sometimes tip the scales in the customers favor, we will make an extra effort to satisfy them."

I thought that was very interesting to hear that coming from him, and made me consider it a little more now.

This is more dealer dependent that brand dependent.

There is one Mazda dealer/service centre near me that is garbage. They stuffed up the servicing of our Mazda3 not to mention trying to resolve some issues.

I take my Mazda6 to another Mazda dealer/service centre and they are exemplary.

The guy that got me the EPlan discount is a regional manager and he told me that same thing "buy where you plan to get service". I think it's more common then you think across all brands.

The guy that got me the EPlan discount is a regional manager and he told me that same thing "buy where you plan to get service". I think it's more common then you think across all brands.

They don't ask it here, atleast not where I bought mine from. The dealer I got it from is 60km away. I get mine services at one that is 14km away.

Guess it is country/demographic specific (uhm)

UK dealers aren't fussy with servicing any UK released car, but they won't touch 'grey' imports, especially from JDM.

I couldn't careless about a relationship with a dealer. It's overrated and their services are overpriced.

And I'd rather spend my time doing something fun rather than dickering to save $1k off a $32k car.

Must be nice to act like a $1k is chump change. That pays my insurance for 2 years. And it was fun, a mini vacay and a new car all in the same trip.

I couldn't careless about a relationship with a dealer. It's overrated and their services are overpriced.

We have Mazda capped price servicing here. About a few months ago, had my 20000 km service for AUD $250.00

I used to think that this did not matter. That is until I was talking shop with my friend who is a Toyota Master Tech. While we were discussing a particular hard to diagnose drivability case, and a hard to please customer, where the car would only do something like a noise or vibration, for a brief moment, at a very particular speed, under special circumstances.

I did not buy my Mazda from the Mazda dealer, but every time I go, I make sure they remember me in a positive way, and learn about them. Deep discounts, they ate the difference replacement, etc. Yes...it pays to be a good customer.

Must be nice to act like a $1k is chump change. That pays my insurance for 2 years. And it was fun, a mini vacay and a new car all in the same trip.
It is nice. 😎
On a car loan it IS chump change. $16.67 a month. Since we all make 93K, that's about 20 minutes pay.

Purchased a new 2016.5 Touring w/Moon Roof and Bose, May 17. Started at $2000 off sticker as the car was NOS, then received a $500 Mazda loyalty discount. This dealer has no "dealer fee." From there we eliminated the dollars for dealer applied options including; window tint, rear bumper guard, security lug nuts, nitrogen in tires and they waived the registration fee. At this point it became a little unclear where their money was coming from as the sales manager went back and forth calling his boss, but in the end our discount was $3842 from sticker - about 13.8%, before trade.

They were not nearly so generous with the 2017s we looked at. Thought we did okay and wife really loves her new car.

Back