2017 CX-5 Damage estimate - Estate sale

Hello.
I have been tasked with selling a 2017 CX-5 with a significant amount of damage to the front bumper, that is owned by a relative who is deceased.

Owner was insured when accident occurred but didn’t file a claim, and became ill a few months later. Insurance company canceled policy shortly after they died.

I planned on selling it to a dealer since they will buy it with the title still in the deceased owner’s name - if it’s likely that I would get more from CarMax/Carvana, I would be willing to deal with the headache of retitling.

What do you think dealers will offer?

- 55k miles
- at least one major accident (no airbags) and at least two fender benders on file
- AWD

What other info do you need?

I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0136.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I wouldn't expect a reasonable estimate here. What you probably should do is have the car inspected by a reputable body/collision repair shop to get a detailed estimate of the cost to repair. Then, check local pricing on cars of the same or similar age and mileage to see what they're being sold for. Subtract the estimated cost of repair and any other fees related to retitling the car from the average selling price of a similar car, and that's the price I would hope to get if selling privately or to CarMax/Carvana. Subtract another 15-20% if hoping to sell to a dealership.

When you go to meet with a dealer to sell the car as is, show them how you came to your price and they should be much more likely to work with you on pricing. The damage doesn't appear to be too bad based on the photos, but you never get the full story until you start digging deeper and looking closer.

If you don't mind spending the time and effort, I would suggest getting it fixed first, then sell it. You are not likely to get a good deal with it at current status.
You certainly can try to sell it as is.

I once had a Prius w/ door damage (caved in from an accident). Got $2k payment from the other guy's insurance. Did not get it fixed. I pulled the panel out myself.
When I sold it, I gave the next owner $2k discount from FMV. He took it w/o questioning.

Back