Why are 2017 Cx-5 selling so close to msrp?

We are looking at a 2017 GT in machine gray. No tech package. Lifetime warranty (3rd party after manufacturer's warranty). It's listed on the website for $30,100. MSRP is $30,600. Invoice is mid $29k.
I do find it a little humorous that we pinch pennies and try to get an extra $1000 off. I plan on keeping this at least 10 years (probably more)....that is $100/year of ownership. Not really a big deal.

Unless you are a Maradona of deal making best you can expect of total MSRP is 1800-2400 USD discount on the car. Plus maybe an accessory thrown in for free. Cargo mats are universally loved here.
Good luck.

I can also agree with the supply and demand. I just bought a red CX5 GT with Tech package and there are none in Ontario with the white leather and only one black leather (it's what we got as we have kids...)
and apparently it's on a train headed here.

Also, all I got out of the dealer is $1000 off the tech package option ($1600) and no charge for the red ($400)

Same here. Factory ordered mine in mid Apr and with all the discount the dealer combined(free red paint, $600 off Freight & PDI, first time buyer and "free nav"), I basically got he Tech package for free.

Supply and demand. Free market economy.

The thread should just end here, but ......

......is the Invoice Price the dealer pays for the vehicle.

^ This statement could not be more wrong. Don't fall for it.

"Invoice Price" is such a myth.

^ This, exactly.

The term "invoice" is used by the car biz, cleverly, to imply "cost", or "what the dealer pays for it". They use it, again cleverly, to establish the beginning (lowest) negotiating point. Note the feigned shock if you dare suggest they go below invoice. They will even sometimes flop out some bogus paperwork to substantiate.

Any functioning adult, with half a degree of business sense knows that no business reveals their costs to a buyer - none. Think about it. Doesn't happen.

Cars in demand sell between MSRP and ~10% off, with 5-6% being average, depending on your patience, determination, and negotiating skills.

ps: Do not buy 3rd party or dealer warranties. If you must, buy oem, they are negotiable by 50% but you only have this power with the new car purchase.

Lifetime warranty (3rd party after manufacturer's warranty).

Don't do that.

I'll echo what others have said and suggest you go for OEM warranties, negotiable when you buy the car.

3rd party warranties are how you get royally screwed because they won't cover anything and call it all normal "wear and tear".

I'm not purchasing a 3rd party warranty. They throw it in as a perk to buying new from them. I would not buy a third party warranty on a new car...too many variables.
I will get warranty fine print papers tonight when I stop in.

I'm not purchasing a 3rd party warranty. They throw it in as a perk to buying new from them. I would not buy a third party warranty on a new car...too many variables.
I will get warranty fine print papers tonight when I stop in.

Be sure you make sure you adhere closely to maintenance schedule and keep all receipts. It only takes one slip up or a bit over mileage to void these lifetime warranties that some dealerships offer.

Be sure you make sure you adhere closely to maintenance schedule and keep all receipts. It only takes one slip up or a bit over mileage to void these lifetime warranties that some dealerships offer.

Yea, I'd have to tell them they could just keep it and give me whatever it's suppose to cost them off the car. These things are false hope...

Not worth the paper they're printed on. "Yes, that repair will cost $550. Oh, you have a $500 deductible?" 😨

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This happens anytime a new car is released. Give it time. Deals will come.

I'll be going to the dealer today for an overnight test drive with plans on sealing the deal tomorrow. I've spoken with him about a lower price and asked about memorial day sales and such. He always mentions "invoice price" and tells me that he can sell it for "close to invoice". This price is less than $1500 cheaper than MSRP.
I guess this is what happens when everyone wants to own a cx-5. There is no pressure to go much lower than MSRP.

Simple answer is it's a brand new model so at this early stage there is less incentive to sell for considerably lower price.

In a few months, the ability to negotiate on the price will come.

This happens anytime a new car is released. Give it time. Deals will come.

Simple answer is it's a brand new model so at this early stage there is less incentive to sell for considerably lower price.

In a few months, the ability to negotiate on the price will come.

It's totally doable now. Don't be fooled...same 29 have been sitting here for over a month now. Dealer hasn't sold not even one in a months time...

It's totally doable now. Don't be fooled...same 29 have been sitting here for over a month now. Dealer hasn't sold not even one in a months time...

It probably is where you are but not as much here.

In a few months over here, we can knock around $2k-$4K off the driveaway price

It probably is where you are but not as much here.

In a few months over here, we can knock around $2k-$4K off the driveaway price

I can do it anywhere...

Maybe I should become my own TrueCar. Give me $300 and I'll get you 10% off right now...

Disclaimer: TrueCar is a scam. Only using their name as an example because I think they get a finders fee of roughly $300.

I can do it anywhere...

Good to know

Maybe I should become my own TrueCar. Give me $300 and I'll get you 10% off right now...

Disclaimer: TrueCar is a scam. Only using their name as an example because I think they get a finders fee of roughly $300.

We have car brokers here that will find you the best deal for a fee. I don't use them.

When it comes time to get mine, I am aiming for about $4000 off the final driveaway price.

Well, the dealer sold the only 2017 model they have in stock so no test drive. I could go across town where there is over 30 2017 cx-5 but it's 45 minutes away and I really wanted to buy close to the house. I'm waiting to here when the next shipment comes in before I go somewhere else.

Well, the dealer sold the only 2017 model they have in stock so no test drive. I could go across town where there is over 30 2017 cx-5 but it's 45 minutes away and I really wanted to buy close to the house. I'm waiting to here when the next shipment comes in before I go somewhere else.

45 minutes? I went almost 7 hours to get mine. With 30 in stock, end of the month, and Memorial Day, go get you a deal man...do they have exactly what you want in stock?

7 hours? That is crazy but glad you're happy. The other place does have one we could do. I was just trying to buy from my guy....he has put in work and time in helping us process things and come to the conclusion to go with the cx-5. He mentioned us driving a few at the other place and then he could get one of them at his dealership. My thing is that if I drive down there then I will buy from there.

Back