Who else is waiting impatiently for the 2016 CX-5?

Getting a photo showing the line of the clear bra has been a little difficult, which isn't a bad thing. I also took a photo showing how the protection went around the new fog lights. I would assume that a new template will be coming out soon but until then this is probably the best you can hope for. Anyone thinking of doing this just google 3m paint protection or similar, there are a ton of products out there.

fY7lsYu.jpg
[/IMG]
f23oyke.jpg

oRnziYr.jpg

Thanks for the great pics! So if you didn't know it was there do you think you would be able to easily spot it at the right angle and lighting conditions? I'm thinking maybe just go ahead and do the whole hood. I wonder if there are any negative ramifications of that like 2 different shades of paint if/when the clear bra is removed.

Thanks for the great pics! So if you didn't know it was there do you think you would be able to easily spot it at the right angle and lighting conditions? I'm thinking maybe just go ahead and do the whole hood. I wonder if there are any negative ramifications of that like 2 different shades of paint if/when the clear bra is removed.

I do not think you would have the same effect as the OLD black vinyl bras that prevented any light from hitting the protected area. Those would make your car 2-tone...

I love the clear bra, and after seeing the latest versions properly installed, I will be going that route on the next car.

Thanks for the great pics.

If you knew it was there and had the right lighting you would definitely be able to see it. Even if you didn't know it was there in the right light you would see the seem where the bra ends. Though, in the right light, even knowing it was there it can be tough to find. The installer said there was one version that covers more of the hood, however he said it was tough to find and a lot more expensive. Not sure there is any that cover the entire hood.

Just picked up a 2016 Grand Touring the other night. This is my first Mazda, and I look forward to surfing the forum and getting to know the brand a little better. I am coming from a 2012 MINI Countryman All4, so it is quite the change. I test drove a few others from this class, and the CX-5 just felt, drove and looked the best.

Finally figured out how to post a photo...took me a while.

Here are some photos of mine. You can't see the clear bra at all, I'll take a photo when the sun is just right so that you can see the line of the end of the bra which is about 1/4 of the way up the hood. One of the photos is of the chip I got in the bumper before I got the clear bra on.

GYu0xvy.jpg

VX6Qmer.jpg

rLPjYp9.jpg

FADETOBLACK,
Thanks for the photos... the car looks great, as does your weather... where do you live? I just asked my dealer to give me a quote for the clear film so it can be installed before delivery next week. Got the same color (love it). Only difference is I asked for roof railings for my Thule box and bike rack.

Can anyone verify wether or not the headlight housing is different between the '15 and the '16 GT models? In pictures, the '16 looks a little sleeker but it's hard to say.

I just traded in my 2014 AWD Touring for a 2016 with the same trim. I got fed up with the infotainment system on the 14.

I just traded in my 2014 AWD Touring for a 2016 with the same trim. I got fed up with the infotainment system on the 14.

Wow JonW, hope the new one is better!
Im glad you stuck to the brand!

Did you lose a lot of money by doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking for a new car, and 2 of the cars I am debating over are the Countryman All4 and the 2016 CX5. I too live near Denver and just wanted to get your opinion since you have owned both. What were the pros of the CX5 that made you decide to switch? I have a car now. 2012 GLI, and i am also considering a 2016 mazda 6. But I am leaning more towards an all wheel drive vehicle.

Me getting rid of the Countryman was probably the best decision I have made in a long time! I have owned a lot of new cars, and none of them had ever given me anywhere near the problems the MINI did! In the 34 months I owned it, it was back to the dealer probably 20 times, and not just for small ticket items. The day I purchased the CX-5, I had gone strait from picking up the MINI from the dealer after the fuel pump (second time in just under a year) and water pump pulley were replaced, to out car shopping. The list is very long for items that were replaced, some several times over on the MINI. The car was as absolute blast to drive, and was amazing in the snow with a good set of snow tires. It just is NOT a reliable car. I have a few big road trips planned this summer, and I was not going to even try it in the MINI. I wanted something a bit bigger, which is what started me looking into the CX-5 class. I test drove the Forester (turbo), and the Ford Escape the same day. I was also going to look into the Nissan offerings after the Mazda but, I never made it past the Mazda lot.

Last edited:
I never driven the mini, but as much as it is bigger than a regular Cooper, it is still much smaller than a CX-5.
It's available with either 181 or 208 hp engine with manual option and would cost you more. Reliability is also questionable and so is resale.
I'd assume it is more fun to drive but with serious compromises in interior volume, ground clearance and reliability.

Gee, could the fact that Mini and Fiat and Jeep command the worst reliability ratings on Consumer Reports... with Mini on the bottom. Guess people don't do a lot of reading before major purchases... or still pick style over function... but at least you punted before the warranty ran out...

... but at least you punted before the warranty ran out...

Didn't do that either! (headshake I went through the first warranty, refinanced, and bought the extended!
I can see why there are so many people who still love the cars now though. It really was a crazy fun car to drive!
It was a love/hate relationship for sure!

Last edited:
A coworker just bought a Citroen DS3 over a Mazda CX3 over here in Japan.

I can see myself laughing my ass off in a couple of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point I am just impatiently waiting for prices to drop and to have some incentives offered on the 16 CX-5. I know that may be awhile, but hoping by fall of this year. Hopefully.

The installer said there was one version that covers more of the hood, however he said it was tough to find and a lot more expensive. Not sure there is any that cover the entire hood.

The place where I had mine done had the 3M material on a large roll. They had software on a computer attached to a giant cutting machine that was fed by the roll of material. Then they just downloaded a template for the CX-5 and the machine cut out all the pieces. Seemed like a pretty slick way to do it. I imagine that there is a template that covers more of the hood. I know I had an option to cover more of the vehicle than I chose to.

FWIW, it was warm here in Minnesota yesterday and I finally got to hand wash my CX-5 in the driveway. After 2 MN winters, I am happy to say that there isn't a mark on the paint anywhere. I love the 3M clear bra! Worth.Every.Penny! Now ask me how pitted my windshield looks. (shocked) Too bad there isn't a clear bra for the windshield!

Last edited:
Wow JonW, hope the new one is better!
Im glad you stuck to the brand!

Did you lose a lot of money by doing that?

It is a little better in a few ways, but the infotainment system is a significant improvement.

I did lose some money because there were not many incentives, but I did get it $1500 below MSRP (incl. $500 owner loyalty). Oddly I got more tradein from my 2012 CRV when I traded it in on the 2014 CX5 than I did this time.

I used cargurus.com (like truecar.com) and had to go thru several dealers until I found one willing to sell it to me at the price I was looking for.

Back