Which header?

Watarski

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a header. I know a lot of people have the OBX. I also saw a GB on the Thunder headers. I don't want anything really loud, but most importantly, what header is the better product? Which produces more HP? Are there any fitment issues? Thanks for the input-

I can only comment on the OBX, and can say it's definatly worth the money to me. The power improvement was great, not a ton more sound, less than a CAI, and the quality seems very good (I've only had it installed for roughly 5k miles so can't comment on long term).

The OBX seems like it would make more power than the thunder because it's a long tube design, vs. the thunder with a shorty design.

Any race header is gonna give you a pretty nice gain in power and torque...The best are gonna be a 4-2-1 which only comes from Mazdaspeed Japan or I think AWR used to make them...As far as the 4-1...All the same...your splitting hairs if you are trying to get more gain from one or the other...I've heard the Thunder header is well built and fitament is great...As for the OBX and Ractive...I've heard good and bad about the fit...I've got an OBX and had to wrestle it a bit, but the fit is good and the gains are "noticable"...not amazing...

I've got a Ractive and my only fitment issue is its really close to the oil pan.

Attachments

• December 2006 012 (Small).jpg
    December 2006 012 (Small).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 182
  • December 2006 035 (Small).jpg
    December 2006 035 (Small).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 174
rednecks_r_us said:
I've got a Ractive and my only fitment issue is its really close to the oil pan.
Warning: threadjack in 3....2....1.....What coilpack is that you got there?

those are stock coil packs, with the Nology set-up.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
Warning: threadjack in 3....2....1.....What coilpack is that you got there?

and...what are you talking about?!?! the OBX and Thunder headers are basically the same thing. only difference is the thunder header has a joint right after the "collector."

Thekid760 said:
The OBX seems like it would make more power than the thunder because it's a long tube design, vs. the thunder with a shorty design.

I had on OBX on my GSR and didn't have any problems with it. Noitced nice gains from an inexpersive mod but that car to ours is Apples to Oranges.

rednecks_r_us said:

Thanks, your engine is my new wallpaper.

By the way, I have an OBX, had minor oilpan issues, but the guy at a local muffler shop was able to give me a little more clearance, and it only cost me some donuts.

Last edited:
They clear the oil pan but its only about the distance of a piece of paper.

SlowPro98 said:
Thanks, your engine is my new wallpaper.

Thats not even a good picture. I have better pictures

njaremka said:
those are stock coil packs, with the Nology set-up.
I recognize the wires but I just bought "stock" coilpack to mount in that position but all 4 holes for the plug wires face up in a row, they don't face 2 different directions like in the pic above & the bracket looks different, hence the question. Here's what my "stock" ones look like..........http://www.msprotege.com/members/i12drivemyMP5/coils_2.jpg

i12drivemyMP5 said:
I recognize the wires but I just bought "stock" coilpack to mount in that position but all 4 holes for the plug wires face up in a row, they don't face 2 different directions like in the pic above & the bracket looks different, hence the question. Here's what my "stock" ones look like..........http://www.msprotege.com/members/i12drivemyMP5/coils_2.jpg

Its my stock coils with the nology bracket. I also included another pic showing my header just to keep this kind of on topic ;)

Attachments

• December 2006 010 (Small).jpg
    December 2006 010 (Small).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 118
  • December 2006 011 (Small).jpg
    December 2006 011 (Small).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 114
  • December 2006 027 (Small).jpg
    December 2006 027 (Small).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 125
  • December 2006 015 (Large).jpg
    December 2006 015 (Large).jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 10_12_06 009 (Large).jpg
    10_12_06 009 (Large).jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
how much louder is the header? i was told you have to raise your voice to talk to someone when on the highway.... and that at highway speeds it makes you want to punch a baby. otherwise i'd get one.... :-\

The header with stock exhaust is not very loud at all....Probably makes less noise than my CAI....Add a high flow cat...Then a little louder...Add any cat-back and it'll be loud under acceleration, but with a nice Racing beat muffler it quites down real nice when cruizing...If you keep the stock exhaust...It will not make you want to punch a baby...

i have thunder and it is great, no fitment problems and no check engine light. not much more sound to my exhaust that i can really tell cuz i always have my music on.

ProtoType5 said:
The header with stock exhaust is not very loud at all....Probably makes less noise than my CAI....Add a high flow cat...Then a little louder...Add any cat-back and it'll be loud under acceleration, but with a nice Racing beat muffler it quites down real nice when cruizing...If you keep the stock exhaust...It will not make you want to punch a baby...

racing beat cat back :-\

I'm just running the MP3 Racing beat axle-back...and it was the last part of my exhaust system I put in...and it by far made the biggest difference in the sound of the car..

I guess there hasn't been a side by side comparison of which header produces more. 4-1 headers are going to be close on these engines. Are the 4-2-1 header worth the extra cost?

i read on another forum that 4-2-1 will give the most gains and that 4-1 are essentially identical in power gains

ProtoType5 said:
I'm just running the MP3 Racing beat axle-back...and it was the last part of my exhaust system I put in...and it by far made the biggest difference in the sound of the car..

so the exhaust will make it louder than the header itself?

Back