Which Cell Phone Holder / Mount Are You Using?

cupholder, $free.99

I agree; actually, I just leave it in my pocket for now as bluetooth is fully functional from there.

However, I was planning to start using my phone for GPS functions, etc. and it would be nice to have screen visible and readily accessible for that functionality.

Yeah, it would be blocking the usb, cd, Bluetooth buttons on top. I only use the Bluetooth function to listen to music on spotify and podcasts on the Rssradio app, so I almost never use the radio touchscreen. I can see how it would be inconvenient if you spend a lot of time switching between the different audio sources and controlling your music through the touchscreen.

Kelme, just to be clear, are those functions fully blocked or are they just difficult to access? I don't use the other functions frequently either; but, by the same token, I wouldn't want to have to take the mount off to access those buttons, as infrequent as it might be.

Kelme, just to be clear, are those functions fully blocked or are they just difficult to access? I don't use the other functions frequently either; but, by the same token, I wouldn't want to have to take the mount off to access those buttons, as infrequent as it might be.

Just a little bit more difficult to access them. Similar to the picture you posted.

Last edited:
Just a little bit more difficult to access them. Similar to the picture you posted.

Thanks for the feedback Kelme. With your endorsement of the product and an indication that it won't completely block the operation of the touchscreen, I think I'll take the leap and order it.

I'll post here once I receive it and post pictures of it in place.

http://www.niteize.com/product/Steelie-Car-Mount-Kit.asp
Nite Ize Steelie

Down side is that you have to stick it via 3m mounting sticker to the dash, but I am taking that risk.

The mount is about 1" in diameter with a chrome plated ball. On the phone is a magnetic piece that sticks to either the back of the phone, or the case. The magnet sticks to the steel ball in the car and can rotate freely. It's the most sleek design I have found; mounts in the best spot to glance and use map ap (I have manual trans/no nav system); no bluky arms coming up and about/no vent clip; and a plus: the magnet on the phone sticks to other metal surfaces for phone storage or video viewing. I love it.

I agree; actually, I just leave it in my pocket for now as bluetooth is fully functional from there.

However, I was planning to start using my phone for GPS functions, etc. and it would be nice to have screen visible and readily accessible for that functionality.

i use google maps all the time w my phone. its plug in w the aux so i can hear where to go through the stereo and just glance at it if needed.

Tetrax for an iphone :

FE3W3pr.jpg

EFI9VDF.jpg

fYO7axl.jpg

2BnfQpU.jpg

I just received my ExoGear Exomount in the mail yesterday. This is what it looks like installed. Suction is by far the best I've come across in my experience of cell phone mounts without using any 3M tape or drilling.IMG_1146.JPG

Finally found the perfect "mount".

Purchased one of these sticky pads from Amazon. Just search "sticky pad phone".

(Copy and pasted photo from Amazon)
71xNuVCJmuL._SL1500_.jpg

Can't go wrong for under $4 shipped. I slap it onto the space between the headunit and the gauges, which is almost vertical. Exactly where Brouno placed his/her mount. It is secure and removable. Used it for four days straight with no problems. I take roads that are absolutely horrid and I can guarantee my commute bumpier than most if not all other people's commutes (can thank NYC for that). Once it gets dirty, you can rinse it off with soapy water and it'll be as sticky as new. No residue on phone or dash either.

There are two things to watch out for. Extreme heat. Don't leave the pad sitting in the sun for long or it will melt and create a nasty mess (from what I've read). Also, the material used gives off a strong scent that smells like fresh paint. It can be noticeable on your phone after removal. Otherwise, no complaints. It completely replaced my regular suction cup phone mount.

Last edited:
I had a basic mount that I glued to the upper right of the instrument panel surround. I just swapped it out for a Steelie. I really like the adjustability of the Steelie and the fact that I can charge the phone without any problems with the mount. The magnet is strong enough that is doesn't shift significantly. The vent mount in my Suburban slides around as I go around corners.

The Steelie is fairly heavy so I mounted it a bit lower than my previous setup. I don't know how long it would stay affixed to a vertical surface when the glue softens in hot weather. I glued it to the horizontal lip in front of the radio volume knob. It's easily within my line of sight but less visible to the cars/cops around me.

Hey that are some nice models. But they all are very bulky. I mean they occupy very much space. So you should go with the <a href= "http://winnergear.com/">Car Phone Holders</a> which is compact and compatible for all.

Bot much? 90% of what was said on the thread was hardly bulky and doesn't take up "very much space", whatever that means.

I don't understand, why they don't make a dock/cradle and to be able to hard wire it? I don't like hanging wires, but it seems like the majority of the people are not bothered by it.

I don't understand, why they don't make a dock/cradle and to be able to hard wire it? I don't like hanging wires, but it seems like the majority of the people are not bothered by it.

9328ee6d4f5418ea7d05804a3bbd169d.jpg
Mine is a Skorpio Mount, aka my own homemade mount. Which is basically what you asked. I took an iPhone cable, made my own dock, sandwiched it between the seams of the dash ala Pro Clips. Only 4" of cable is visible, the rest is tucked away between the dash and lower panels. Charges and everything is within my fingertips and view such as Google Maps or the internet and my personal assistant, Siri, is at my beckon call.

I will fab something myself.
I have mirroring on my stereo via a micro USB cable and separate USB cable, so it's not that of a big deal, that is not in front of me, but it would be nice to mount it into the dock and the plug(micro USB) would be the micro USB for the mirroring. Charging, is already taken care, with a wireless charging pad, build into the holder.

Last edited:
The proclip dash mount seems pretty decent. I wonder if it would able to mount over the hazard light switch? It looks like it sits off the dash enough to reach behind to turn on the hazards when needed and that way it wouldn't block any of the vents. And how often do you really use the hazard lights?

What I'm using right now in my P5 is the breffo spiderpodium. It just pushes into the vents and is easily removed if needed.

iOttie Easy Flex 3

I got the iOttie Easy Flex 2 for my wifes GTI and really like it. Been trying the iOttie One Touch but might switch to the Easy Flex 3 since the One Touch is a bit tall for my taste. I usually like to dash mount instead of window mount.

I got the Easy Flex 3 as i didn't want to bother attaching anything (magnet) to the back of my phone, I use many different ones for my job. Here's some pics of where I mounted it right in front of the gear shift display, the suction cup it just fits. I've a short USB cable that just reaches without any bother so I really like it.

Attachments

• IMG_20150326_225618.jpg
    IMG_20150326_225618.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_20150326_225640.jpg
    IMG_20150326_225640.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_20150326_225700.jpg
    IMG_20150326_225700.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 515
The proclip dash mount seems pretty decent. I wonder if it would able to mount over the hazard light switch? It looks like it sits off the dash enough to reach behind to turn on the hazards when needed and that way it wouldn't block any of the vents. And how often do you really use the hazard lights?

I'm using the proclip, and I love it.

I do have it mounted over the driver's side vent, primarily for these reasons. First, it's at a height I like: I use my phone for GPS/map, so I don't want it down real low where I have to look far away from the road to see it. Second, it doesn't obscure anything when it's mounted there. Third, it's within easy reaching distance.

I was hesitant to try it because I wasn't thrilled about covering up my vent. That said, I can't say it's made a significant difference. I still get plenty of airflow.

The biggest downside is running a cable to it for power. I'm not particularly handy with wiring things, but I'd like to figure out how to run a cable that popped out of the dash somewhere nearby, rather than having cable laying out.

The mount is as sturdy as they claim. Bit of a pain to put together to set up, but that's a "do once" kinda thing, so I suppose it's not a big deal. Last 'negative' I can think of is that it's spendy.

I decided to give it a try a while back because I don't like the suction solutions, don't want something on the top of my dash, and don't want to attach something to my phone/case.

Back