Which Cell Phone Holder / Mount Are You Using?

kennyjofus

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hey All,

I'm brand-new to the forum, and am picking up my 2014 CX-5 Touring (Meteor Grey Mica) tomorrow.

I just wanted to see if any of you were using any kind of cell phone mount inside your CX-5's. I'd love to score one that's a little more on the discrete side than the dash mounted ones I've been seeing.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to being pretty active on here, and can't wait to get the new CX-5!

Cheers.
~Kevin

Akron Multi-angle adhesive mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) mounted (with one screw to help it stay put!) to left of auto stick/in front of P-R-N-D-L plate and below HVAC temp knob. This puts it just a few inches from power supply plug in center stack and is very discreet. Angled up so I can read it at a glance by looking down at console.

I've been using the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) for years (3 smart phones) and have been loving it. However, my current phone, Samsung Note3, is probably the biggest device it should be allowed to hold.

Pros:
- Very discrete and not bulky at all
- Strong and stable (I use it to hold my phone while on the track)
- Easy to mount and dismount phone
- Easy to rotate phone from landscape or portrait mode
- During the summer, AC can blow cold air to keep phone temps low
- Easily transferable to other cars and takes up very little luggage space
- No plastic pieces to break, full metal and rubber construction

Cons:
- Doesn't work for some cars depending on the vent style or location (CX-5 works fine, but a bit low)
- Must apply little metal nub to the back of the phone
- Blocks vent
- Using the heater blows hot/warm air onto phone
- Price (but totally worth it!!)

I'm a very satisfied Clingo Universal Mount user.
clingo-universal-vent-mount-p25791-300.jpg

I use the Tetrax as well, but not the vent mount, just the stick on which I put above the Head Unit as you can see in the pic. Works very well and phone has never fallen off, only problem is it points upwards a bit (the phone can be tilted down a little, but even at that it's still a little tilted up). Seems to be an issue only on very sunny days, with direct sunlight, which hasn't happened often this winter. Also at this location with 4.5" Android, it doesn't block the CD tray and is at a very good height for viewing for my GPS.2013-12-19 15.55.59.jpg

I got the iOttie Easy Flex 2 for my wifes GTI and really like it. Been trying the iOttie One Touch but might switch to the Easy Flex 3 since the One Touch is a bit tall for my taste. I usually like to dash mount instead of window mount.

The Monoprice Universal Suction Cup Mount. Best suction cup mount I've used so far. Unfortunately still not the mount I want.

Here is what I want:
- Mount within arms reach
- No suction cup window stains
- No cables dangling across the windshield
- Won't block any displays/controls.
- No adhesive to mark plastic
- No drilling
- Stable

So far I haven't find anything suitable for the CX-5. The vent clips block the vent and are not suitable during winter usage. Plus I've seen a few vent slits broken on other cars because of vent clip mounts. Might just sacrifice a cup holder and find a long flexible arm mount.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...onoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=phone+mount

110161.jpg

I have a ProClip ( ProClipUSA.com ) in my Mazda 3. It clips into seams in the dashboard. They have a similar one for the CX-5. It is just a mount, and you need a phone holder. I use a RAM Mount X-Grip holder that works with most cell phones to hold the phone.

The Monoprice Universal Suction Cup Mount. Best suction cup mount I've used so far. Unfortunately still not the mount I want.

Here is what I want:
- Mount within arms reach
- No suction cup window stains
- No cables dangling across the windshield
- Won't block any displays/controls.
- No adhesive to mark plastic
- No drilling
- Stable

So far I haven't find anything suitable for the CX-5. The vent clips block the vent and are not suitable during winter usage. Plus I've seen a few vent slits broken on other cars because of vent clip mounts. Might just sacrifice a cup holder and find a long flexible arm mount.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...onoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=phone+mount

110161.jpg

I have a similar mount I got off ebay for mounting my phone (gps) in a van at my old job. They work great. I can spend $20-30 at a phone store or big box and get something less universal. It actually is still useful for when I am using TorquePro.

I have a ProClip ( ProClipUSA.com ) in my Mazda 3. It clips into seams in the dashboard. They have a similar one for the CX-5. It is just a mount, and you need a phone holder. I use a RAM Mount X-Grip holder that works with most cell phones to hold the phone.

Those are by far the best gap/vent clip mounts I've seen. Too bad it still puts the phone in front of the center vent which is no good for the phone during winter climates, and block cooled/heated air from reaching the occupants. The fact that the rear passengers lack an actual vent, the importance of the center vent is even greater. The A-pillar mount is seemingly more ergonomic, but running the charger cable across the dash, over the stalks, and steering wheel may be a problem. $29.99 before shipping seems steep as well.

Sorry, I'm just so damn picky with phone mounts... :(

Those are by far the best gap/vent clip mounts I've seen. Too bad it still puts the phone in front of the center vent which is no good for the phone during winter climates, and block cooled/heated air from reaching the occupants. The fact that the rear passengers lack an actual vent, the importance of the center vent is even greater. The A-pillar mount is seemingly more ergonomic, but running the charger cable across the dash, over the stalks, and steering wheel may be a problem. $29.99 before shipping seems steep as well.

Sorry, I'm just so damn picky with phone mounts... :(

Yeah, I had another mount that put the phone with the X-Grip right in front of the vent. The phone would get hot/cod. In my Mazda 3, I put the ProClip mount over the middle of the vent area, between vents. It partially obscures the emergency flasher button but works fine. Essentially no air on the phone. Plus, the ProClip mount has a solid back, which deflects any air coming from behind it.

42123.jpg

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on this mount (They also offer a slightly larger mounts that will fit tablets). See link here: http://ca.mobilefun.com/42123-exogear-exomount-touch-cd-for-smartphones---black.htm

It seems to solve many of the issues mentioned with others and swivels 180*, so you can use phone in portrait or landscape. It does sacrifice the use of the CD player but that doesn't really concern me because I don't use the CD player. It is also somewhat pricey. The reviews that I've seen for it are pretty positive.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this device, especially in the CX5?

Last edited:
42123.jpg

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on this mount (They also offer a slightly larger mounts that will fit tablets). See link here: http://ca.mobilefun.com/42123-exogear-exomount-touch-cd-for-smartphones---black.htm

It seems to solve many of the issues mentioned with others and swivels 180*, so you can use phone in portrait or landscape. It does sacrifice the use of the CD player but that doesn't really concern me because I don't use the CD player. It is also somewhat pricey. The reviews that I've seen for it are pretty positive.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this device, especially in the CX5?

I dont know who came up with that design first but I think it was Mountek. I have the Mountek nGroove and I really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It will block some of the functions on the screen but that doesnt really bother me at all. I like that the phone sits at eye level and is easy to reach. I think I paid less than $15 USD for it. The thing that I like is that I can use it on multiple cars as long as they have a CD slot.

I don’t know who came up with that design first but I think it was Mountek. I have the Mountek nGroove and I really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It will block some of the functions on the screen but that doesn’t really bother me at all. I like that the phone sits at eye level and is easy to reach. I think I paid less than $15 USD for it. The thing that I like is that I can use it on multiple cars as long as they have a CD slot.

Thanks for the quick feedback Kelme. Do you recall which functions it blocks? I assume that it may block some of the touchscreen options at the top; although, I was hoping that it wouldn't.

As I recall, the top touchscreen buttons, allow you to switch between bluetooth, USB, AM/FM, etc.; it would be inconvenient if I couldn't access those with this mount in place.

Thanks for the quick feedback Kelme. Do you recall which functions it blocks? I assume that it may block some of the touchscreen options at the top; although, I was hoping that it wouldn't.

As I recall, the top touchscreen buttons, allow you to switch between bluetooth, USB, AM/FM, etc.; it would be inconvenient if I couldn't access those with this mount in place.

Yeah, it would be blocking the usb, cd, Bluetooth buttons on top. I only use the Bluetooth function to listen to music on spotify and podcasts on the Rssradio app, so I almost never use the radio touchscreen. I can see how it would be inconvenient if you spend a lot of time switching between the different audio sources and controlling your music through the touchscreen.

Back