Custom iPhone mount and charger

I just created this custom iPhone holder / charger for my 2018 Mazda CX-5. I created it by combining two products that I purchased on Amazon.com (see parts below). I did this so I could securely mount my iPhone between the air vents and charge it using a MagSafe style charger. The total cost was about $55 (if you have Amazon Prime).

iphone holder & charger.jpg

Parts acquired from Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) (as of 3/8/22 costs about $32)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) (as of 3/8/22 costs about $22)

Assembly Instructions:
1. On the Beerte iPhone holder, remove the ball-joint assembly from the unit.
2. On the Syncwire Magnetic Wireless Car Charger, remove the ball-joint assembly from the unit.
3. Swap the ball-joint assemblies (Beerte ball-join goes to Synchwire and Syncwire goes to Beerte).
4. That's it!

I like that holder a lot! If only they had one that fits the 2016.5 CX-5...

Anyone know of a clip like this below that works on a 2016.5?

61BiWSgzD+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I like that holder a lot! If only they had one that fits the 2016.5 CX-5...

Anyone know of a clip like this below that works on a 2016.5?
I use a mount made by Kuda. It looks absolutely factory, and is super easy to install.

Attachments

• IMG_20201123_153236063_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201123_153236063_HDR.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_20201123_153244363_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201123_153244363_HDR.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 300
@darn_kyle
Can this work with an android phone? meaning with a case with a metal plate in it or having the metal plate between the phone and case? I have an iphone but sometimes I use my work phone, an android and would like to know if it will work.
Or else just go with a mount with brackets (like the one on the 2 sides and 1 at the bottom) to hold the phones.
Thanks.

@fp99, I don't have a way to test this, but in theory it should work with your Android. If you have Amazon Prime, you could try it out and if it doesn't work, you should be able to return the parts to Amazon.

BTW, if your Android case with a metal plate isn't strong enough to adhere to the magnet, then could also try taking placing the magnetic sticker that ships with the Beerte Phone Holder on the back of your phone.

Note: While the image below appears to show two magnetic stickers, the Beerte Phone holder only ships with one magnetic sticker. The image is designed to show the front and back of that sticker.

clec.jpg

Last edited:
I use a mount made by Kuda. It looks absolutely factory, and is super easy to install.
Did you attach the wrong pics? I'm not sure what we're looking at in your post but I don't see a phone mount or a CX -5.

@Conrad 16.5. I haven't used this, so I don't know how well it works, but https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) claims it works with 2012-2017 CX-5s. I should add that you could (in theory) epoxy, or otherwise affix, https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) (or similar charger with a flat surface) to this phone holder to create your own holder/charger.
does anyone know if this actually fits between the air vents in the 12-16 CX5? I was going to get the ProClip mount base, but it shows it halfway blocking the driver side air vent, and they say in the install instructions that it's made to fit only in that location. I'm guessing there are some relief areas or something behind the trim that allow the ProClip base to fit in front of the air vent, but not between them in front of the emergency flasher switch.

I've had a piece of crap magnetic vent mount in our car for like 2+ years, and I'd love to upgrade. And I'd rather the phone not be in front of the air vent because it gets the phone super, super cold in summer months, especially on long road trips. And with the humidity in my area, I'm concerned about moisture condensing on the inner workings of the phone.

@PatrickGSR94, based on the pictures provided for the https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned), it appears the phone would be mounted directly between the left and right vents. While that might minimize condensation, that could still be an issue.

Of course, the only way to avoid the condensation issue is to mount the phone somewhere far away from the vents, like on top of the dashboard, on the windshield, or below the dashboard. If you mount it on the dashboard or windshield, then you'd have to worry about excessive heat from direct sunlight. If you mount it below the dash, then the phone is not very accessible. So, there doesn't appear to be many great options.

I would just rather it be between the vents, also so that the driver still has full air flow. I don't like A-pillar mounts because of the distance a cable would have to run to keep the phone charging. And I don't care for mounts way down low as it's too far to look away from the road.

I was just asking if anyone has had any luck installing it where it's shown in the photos, or if it leaves large gaps between trim panels.

That...almost makes me want to get a new car. :D

Proclip makes a cool A-pillar one for the 16's.

Back