Where to after CX-5?

Had many issues that had to be fixed at the dealer and annoying things that I was not expecting, multiple brakes, rattles, door actuators, trans staring to slip, fit and finish, excessive road and wind noise, black interior that is impossible to keep clean, inferior entertainment issues. My wife is an infusion nurse so she lives in her car all day. Unfortunately the seats are so flat and uncomfortable she can't take the back pain anymore. I have driven it on long runs on vacation trips with the same issue. We usually keep are cars for 10 years, and unfortunately haven't experienced the reliability, quality, and comfort with our CX5.

Sounds like an early model issue or something...

The seats are pretty stiff from the factory, but they soften up when you use them. They arent the most comfortable seats in the world, so probably not the best choice for your wife, but you would not experience such an issue again if you didnt buy an early model I believe.

For the price of a decked out CRV.......I'd look into a certified MDX. LEDs, no CVT but rather Honda's 9-speed automatic, Siri hands free capability, 290HP.

The CX-9 option is also attractive although the diesel CX-5 is a really good value.

The 9 speed transmission is a ZF unit. Pretty decent transmission, but falls short of BMWs tuning and its not as responsive as mazdas.

Test drove Dodge Challenger AWD GT V6 and Tesla Model X.

Now, the Challenger was great. Excellent finish, superb quiet drive and me thinks it looks awesome. There is a big trunk and lots of room in the back. If anyone digs its looks, I do suggest to check it out.

Tesla X - This is another planet really. I did want to experience its acceleration, instant torque, the screen, sound quality and falcon doors.

I tested how it behaves from 50 to 80 MPH as there are plenty of videos from 0-60. It is beyond amazing. 5 people total, it took less than 2 seconds to get from 50 to 80. This would be extremely useful on the hwy driving.

The fit and finish was very good. Tesla really has done well. It was super quiet, quick and comfy.

We've decided to get it in 2-3 years.

Once one drives this, there is no way back really.

The challenger and Tesla are both utter piles of s***...

Have you driven a Volvo lately? Man, that V60. That's the wagon to beat imo.

Not within the last couple years. I did drive the S60 2-3 years ago and thought it was unresponsive and not very fun to drive. I don't like the interior styling or the infotainment in the current models.

I don't understand the love for wagons personally. Is it the cargo space?

I always picture the ol' family truckster. :)

vacation-family-truckster-today-150527_a7b955c3d3d8c91bb85cf3e5c6715d03.today-inline-large.jpg
More storage, the handling of a car. Speaking specifically of that Volvo: more storage then a CR-V, 266 ft lb, CX-5 like ground clearance, AWD, safe AF.

I can't stand Volvo's. Hated them since the 80's. Only thing worse than the Volvo to me is a fiat or pugeot. Talk about a pile of s*** ever been in a pugeot?

I didn't like them in the 80s either. All the Volvo enthusiasts are like "we're so boxy!". They celebrate it. Bleh. Hideous.
Don't think I've ever even seen a Peugeot in person.

Not within the last couple years. I did drive the S60 2-3 years ago and thought it was unresponsive and not very fun to drive. I don't like the interior styling or the infotainment in the current models.

This and the fact that they are more expensive than what they should be. Indicated by the sub 20K values for V60 made in 16 with 25k miles on them. Also almost everything is borrowed. Platform / Trans - and they have a new turbo 4 cyl motor which will be backbone for Volvo. And the fact that no Volvo dealers certify them - I am guessing due to reliability?

Price is a big issue for me. Starts at 41k. 4 different option packages, all of which I want = $51k. No.

I can't stand Volvo's. Hated them since the 80's. Only thing worse than the Volvo to me is a fiat or pugeot. Talk about a pile of s*** ever been in a pugeot?

Owned 2 Peugeot 504s and two 505 wagons. Loved them. Great cars for comfort, handling, and reliability.

Strongly agree. The handling is truly appalling and the s60 I was In had good tires too. The interior was primitive and ugly to say the least just like the rest of the car. I could not find enough negative things to say about this car.

The only thing I found was decent was the turbo inline 6 engine which made a nice noise, but it didnt come even close to BMWs 335i in terms of power delivery.

It is quite a shame that wagon choices are so limited here in North America. I would pick up a diesel manual atenza wagon in a heartbeat :)

There is the 328i wagon, but its too expensive and as far as I know its only offered witn the terrible unreliable turbo 4 engine and AWD.

You can also get the 328d wagon with the 2.0 diesel. However, I've spent a couple weeks driving their N47 diesel in UK 118d and 120d rental cars and it was the only modern small diesel I've driven that I didn't like. It was clattery, didn't take cold weather very well, and was especially slow revving with very heavy flywheel effect. After getting used to driving the VW and Ford/PSA small diesels, the BMW's felt like agricultural equipment. The N47 has been replaced by the B47, but based on all the negative comments in the reviews it sounds like the new version isn't much better. I wouldn't mind owning the 330i xDrive wagon, but not for >$50k.

Reviews seem to indicate the latest V60 wagon has better handling than what I remember. However, Volvo's latest interiors have gotten more premium and evolved in a 'Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?' direction which doesn't appeal to me aesthetically. And they are second only to Lexus in my book of having the least user friendly infotainment system.

And yeah, I would also buy a Mazda6 2.2D AWD wagon in a heartbeat.

Almost forgot I drove the V60 cross country and I can't quite say I couldn't wait for the test drive to end but definitely wasn't sad when it did either...just a boring car to drive... disappointing beyond my "well its a volvo" tepid expectations...Sorry 7 I wanted to like it but it just felt dead to me. I can imagine the non lifted version being a bit better but not a deal maker for me either. Id take the 3 wagon or an msport rwd x1 first;)

Last edited:
I've like the looks of the S60 for awhile. At least since the 07 I had. [emoji6]. Really digging the 18.
b8315bd8d68720c3508a98e0c5f703c5.jpg

Back