whats the minimum mods to ensure strong and lasting engine?

I'm thinking of doing rods, and getting a SSAFC. I already have a magnaflow catback / POPE downpipe. Would rods be enough if i plan on just staying at 7-8psi? what about 10?

edit: on the stock gt25. possibly a gt28rs in the future

if your doing rods, might as well just build the block. pistons(wiseco, cp) rods (pauter, carillo, k1, mtech) especially if your gonna go 10psi and upgrade to a gt28. just to be safe and reliable without going BOOM. oh and a good tune of course on the ssafc. hope u have a wideband, boost gauge , and a fmic

this is all of course in MY opinion, based of what ive read across all the build threads on this forum. if rather be safe than sorry and do everything right the first time around.

A GT 28rs with 10 PSI will increase CFM or AIR Flow. I would not run that on 10psi without building the block.

if you go to a gt28, you should build the block without any second guessing. If you stick with the gt25 (which is quicker to spool but doesn't provide as much top end torque), you can build the block if you want to go higher than roughly 8psi. However, in either scenario, you should get pistons to accompany the rods. If you invest, you might as well invest into it all and do it right. get bearings, rods, pistons, head studs etc...

No need to do rods with bolt ons at 8psi. I would get a wideband to understand what your air fuel ratios are and make sure you are within safe limits, and to get a better understanding of what the stock fuel system is doing. Most likely your running pig rich but just to be safe.From there go split second and tune on the safe side. The only thing that should kill your motor at 8psi on the stock turbo is a bad tune or a poorly maintained speed. Yes i know there will be exceptions to that rule with these cars.

Tuning is more important than anything. It is hard to say what the actual horsepower limit is of the stock short block. The pcm is so inadequate even with a piggyback like the ssafc that it would be tough to blame an engine failure on the internals themselves.

You would need proper data logging to know for sure which is why I like the AEM FIC a little better in that regard but it has its drawbacks as well.

I'd start with the ssafc along with logging wideband and good obdii software. Learn the car first, then go from there.

A GT 28rs with 10 PSI will increase CFM or AIR Flow. I would not run that on 10psi without building the block.

While a gt28rs will make more power at the same psi as the stock gt25, it is actually safer for the engine because the intake air temperature is less with the larger turbo. Without a proper IAT neither the stock pcm or ssafc provide a way to reduce timing to compensate for the increase in temperature caused by the turbo. An intercooler can only help so much.

Back