What width/offset wheels fit the Protege5?

Hi all,

I want to get some new wheels...but unsure as to what will fit. I'm on stock suspension right now, but soon will be lowered about 2 inches.

Does anyone know the offsets and widths that would fit my car? I've been reading that apparently even 17x7s with a +40 or +50 offset won't clear the calipers...is this true?

I'd just like to know the width/offset parameters I have to work with before I start seriously looking at new wheels!

Thanks,
T

Really? I thought the ProtegeFAQ said that Protege5 wheels had +50 stock offset..

Maybe i should read it again haha.

Caliper clearance is based on wheel offset and backspacing. Stock offset is +55, flush with the fender is about +35-38 but that will require fender rolling and some camber to clear. 8" wide rims with fit with a small spacer to clear the strut in the rear.
Just read this thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?9129-Rishie-s-FITMENT-RECIPE

Awesome...thanks! So it looks like to be safe I really shouldn't consider anything with less than +45 if I'm looking at an aftermarket 17" wheel. Do you know what the hub bore is? I've been reading conflicting info on it, though 67.1mm seems to be the most widely quoted.

Cheers!

Yep it's 67mm hub bore on all Mazdas since the mid 90s. 5x114.3 hub spacing

The P5 has a little more fender clearance but I rubbed in the back with 215/45 17s, +48 offset and 7" wide wheels. I don't have rolled fenders though and the camber is stock.

Last edited:
Yep it's 67mm hub bore on all Mazdas since the mid 90s. 5x114.3 hub spacing

The P5 has a little more fender clearance but I rubbed in the back with 215/45 17s, +48 offset and 7" wide wheels. I don't have rolled fenders though and the camber is stock.

Thanks...would +42 have rubbed? Would +42 have cleared the calipers? I'm trying to wrap my head around what can and can't be put on these cars...seems pretty restrictive!

Back