What new Mazda is coming?

There is no mention this vehicle will be built in America. It*ll be years before that plant is up and and running.

The CX3 is already selling over 100,000 units per year. Reasonable goal to stretch that up to 150,000.

Lastly, Mazda likes to claim the 2nd gen CX5 is all new, when it really isn*t. The same thing will then happen to the CX3.

I*ll patiently await my reward.

=)

Globally, maybe. In USA the CX-3 has sold under 17,000 units the past 2 years. http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/mazda/mazda-cx-3/

There is no mention this vehicle will be built in America. Itll be years before that plant is up and and running.

The CX3 is already selling over 100,000 units per year. Reasonable goal to stretch that up to 150,000.

Lastly, Mazda likes to claim the 2nd gen CX5 is all new, when it really isnt. The same thing will then happen to the CX3.

Ill patiently await my reward.

=)

Haha, I think things are getting conflated. You used the 150k Alabama plant production capacity as an argument for the CX-3. I dont think that makes sense because the CX-3 is a bust in NA.

I frankly dont know what theyll reveal in Geneva. My take is that it could be a preview of the Alabama crossover and, if so, Im certain that Alabama wont be producing a crossover any smaller than the CX-5 due to NA market demands.

But if the Geneva reveal has nothing to do with Alabama, then I have no firm guesses.

Maybe we should do a poll to see who gets it right? hehe
depending on how you translate "new model" i'm going to guess it could be a bigger cx-3 on the new mazda3 platform, OR an actual new model, which in this case
i would have to also guess now that could be a cx-7 to fill the gaps...3,5,7,9.
Seeing how the trend is going to crossovers, it could actually be the cx-7...so we wait till March.
So does that mean, i should wait on getting the signature CX-5 incase they launch the CX-7....dang it....how soon can we know???

Haha, I think things are getting conflated. You used the 150k Alabama plant production capacity as an argument for the CX-3. I don*t think that makes sense because the CX-3 is a bust in NA.

I frankly don*t know what they*ll reveal in Geneva. My take is that it could be a preview of the Alabama crossover and, if so, I*m certain that Alabama won*t be producing a crossover any smaller than the CX-5 due to NA market demands.

But if the Geneva reveal has nothing to do with Alabama, then I have no firm guesses.

I mean Mazda 3 with a lift kit would probably be a winner.

Agreed, which is why Mazda already makes one. You may have heard of it, they called it the CX-5 ;)

Seriously though, the CX-5 is basically a lifted Mazda3. Even the larger Gen 2 CX-5 is only 3.5" longer and 1.8" wider than the outgoing 3.

Completely different body though. With the Impreza and Crosstrek its the same just add cladding and lift. Outback used to be that for the Legacy but over time its becoming more of its own thing. Though its still based on the same platform underneath.

Another example is Golf Alltrack.

Completely different body though. With the Impreza and Crosstrek its the same just add cladding and lift. Outback used to be that for the Legacy but over time its becoming more of its own thing. Though its still based on the same platform underneath.

Another example is Golf Alltrack.
True. Ah, I know what you all want is a damn wagon. Those subarus are uuuuugly!

New CX-3 might make sense, but would they be profitable enough when being built in the US?

Or would something like a CX-7 (a shortened 2 row version of the CX-9, a-la new honda passport or the new chevy blazer) make more sense with potentially higher profit margins?

If honda/ford/chevy see that there is a market for these larger 2 row SUVs (which is what the subaru outback is) then maybe that might be the way to go.

When I first heard about this joint plant, i thought Mazda and Toyota were going to partner in making a midsize 2 row, because Toyota is missing their Venza, which they could bring back in this new wave of SUVs. But I guess I was wrong on that, since they're making the Corolla there instead.

Edit: I've seen in another Autrailian video review that the CX-8 is basically a stretched CX-5. So if they do a CX-7, I don't know how that naming convention goes.

Last edited:
Edit: I've seen in another Autrailian video review that the CX-8 is basically a stretched CX-5. So if they do a CX-7, I don't know how that naming convention goes.

The cx-8 is a shrunken version of the cx-9
So in essence the Cx-7 could be the bloated version of the cx-5

Agreed, which is why Mazda already makes one. You may have heard of it, they called it the CX-5 ;)

Seriously though, the CX-5 is basically a lifted Mazda3. Even the larger Gen 2 CX-5 is only 3.5" longer and 1.8" wider than the outgoing 3.

While the CX-5 may be based on the 3/6 platform it sure seems bigger inside than the 3. I think a jacked up 3 still would have less volume than a CX-5 which is what I'd like to see.

The cx-8 is a shrunken version of the cx-9
So in essence the Cx-7 could be the bloated version of the cx-5

I think the difference here would be width. CX8 is a longer CX5, but not wider like the CX9 is.

I think the market they might aim for is a shortened CX9. So, yes, a bloated Cx5 in width and length.

While the CX-5 may be based on the 3/6 platform it sure seems bigger inside than the 3. I think a jacked up 3 still would have less volume than a CX-5 which is what I'd like to see.

I really wanted a 3 hatch...but rear seating was just way too short. Shorter than cx-5. Went with mazda6 since wife already has cx-5. The new 3 has more legroom I think.

The 2018 3 actually has .1 inch longer wheelbase than a 2018 CX-5! imho the front seat legroom is about the same. Take a close look at the 2018 mazda3 hatch side profile. The hatch looks short compared to front. Take the 3's rear half and extend the hatch upwards and out a bit to scoot rear seat back and extend trunk and you get the CX-5.

I personally agree with you, but if the model is meant primarily for the American market they will almost certainly go bigger not smaller. Bigger is what sells.

This...^^

Porsche is releasing a Coup Cayman (which I thought was the macan).

A CX-5 based coupe wouldnt surprise me. Zoom zoom

The reveal is supposed to occur at the Geneva Motor Show. I wonder if the car will be aimed at the European market. A bigger CX-3 would not be great for the European market and I doubt they would do something to increase US sales at the cost of European sales. I wonder if the CX-4 would be a good bet for Europe.

This...^^

Porsche is releasing a *Coup* Cayman (which I thought was the macan).

A CX-5 based *coupe* wouldn*t surprise me. *Zoom zoom*

I think that a coupe version of the CX-5 would look VERY close to the current Chinese CX-4(see post #34) or more-so like a jacked up AWD Mazda 6. H-m-m-m-m?

Back