What is this noise?

:
Los Gatos, CA
:
2021 CX5 GTR
I've noticed it since I first got my car last year. Usually only happens when first reversing. I pop it into reverse and as soon as I tap the breaks the momentum shift causes this double popping sound in the front end of the car. It also Occurs sometimes* when first driving and coming to a stop. Usually only occurs once per trip. Anyone else experience this noise?

Are you sure it sounds like a pop? I have something similar when I back out of my garage but it sounds more like a creak. Only happens when I first back out then apply the brakes when I'm starting to enter the street.

It's more than likely your brake pads. I've had this happen on my last 3 Mazdas. It starts doing it after the brake maintenance service. Something they do makes the pad loose and it moves a bit when stopping first time in the opposite direct. There is a TSB for the CX9 that talks about this a bit. Similar issue seems to happen in the CX5, too. I think the fix is shims.
Have you recently had brake work/service done?

Are you sure it sounds like a pop? I have something similar when I back out of my garage but it sounds more like a creak. Only happens when I first back out then apply the brakes when I'm starting to enter the street.
I would consider a popping sound to a creak. Usually its two 'pop-pop's.

It's more than likely your brake pads. I've had this happen on my last 3 Mazdas. It starts doing it after the brake maintenance service. Something they do makes the pad loose and it moves a bit when stopping first time in the opposite direct. There is a TSB for the CX9 that talks about this a bit. Similar issue seems to happen in the CX5, too. I think the fix is shims.
Have you recently had brake work/service done?
Thanks. No I have not but ever since I purchased the car it has had squeaky breaks. I think I will have them take a look at my next service.

I had the same noise on my CX-9 (same brakes as your CX-5 GT Reserve). The TSB was useful for dealership techs. They ended up replacing my front brake pads for new ones. Didn't have to pay a dime, in my case.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I am planning on printing out that TSB and bringing it to my appointment on Wednesday. Will update on the outcome.

Back