What have you done to your MS3 today?

i have the Jbarone shifter plate with stock shifter and knob. i love how it shortens the throw but it feels like too much work to shift sometimes and it doesn't always want to easily go into 1st or 6th. i've adjusted the center point of the shifter but might try again. that being said, i'm still waiting for a 490g blox shifter knob i have on order. i'm hoping the heavier knob will help with the ease of shifting. how much difference did the heavier knob make for you?

It makes a big difference. When I first installed the shift plate, I tried it with the stock knob and found it took a lot of additional effort to get it into gear, particularly 5th and 6th on my car. Switching to the E4 knob made that problem disappear. The E4 knob weighs 607 grams whereas the stock knob weighs only 265 according to the James Barone site You might think the heavier knob would require more effort but once you get it moving, the extra momentum lets it slide into the notch easier.

490 grams is still a lot heavier than the stock shifter knob so hopefully that will do the trick for you!

Did you do the JBarone bushings too?

No, because I already had the TWM bushings (that was my first mod to the car shortly after I bought it.) The pictures of the JBarone bushings look virtually identical so I think they would work just as well. The main point is to replace the squishy rubber and metal stock bushings with solid metal. And, yes, solid bushings really help you shift better; before I put them in, I would sometimes miss the shift from 2nd to 3rd due to the play in the shifter.

hmmm... yeah, I'm gonna see how much difference a heavier knob makes. then possibly bushings. and if all else fails it might be time for a short shifter!

Oh definitely! I have the TWM STS/Bushings and one of their shift knobs and the car is just a dream to shift.

It's awesome, a buddy of mine has a GTI, he is very envious of the Forge sound. It gets a lot of "WTF was that?!" looks. :D

PS_1.jpg

Lara, do a flat graphite grey in this paint job, and it will be SICK! That p/s looks GORGEOUS! I am planning on doing my roof black soon, so I will have the same effect going on

hmmm... yeah, I'm gonna see how much difference a heavier knob makes. then possibly bushings. and if all else fails it might be time for a short shifter!

Bushings and removing the counterweight give a much nicer feel. Notchier and more direct, but still not as good as a short shifter. That's what I have... and I'm pretty happy for the time being.

Bushings and removing the counterweight give a much nicer feel. Notchier and more direct, but still not as good as a short shifter. That's what I have... and I'm pretty happy for the time being.

i get the feeling i might end up with a short shifter in the end. even if i can get the shifting to feel right with my current setup i still don't like the height of the stock shifter.

Everytime I hear someone describe the shift feeling as "notchy" I get nervous about doing the SSP. It brings memories of shifting my wife's old Jetta. Shifter felt like there was literally a plate with slots under the shift boot that you were moving the rod for the shifter through.

*clunk clunk clunk* second gear *clunk clunk clunk* 3rd gear...

Hated it compared to the smooth shifters I had always had on Mazda where I could just smoothly "angle" from 2nd to 3rd in one smooth motion instead of going forward *clunk* right *clunk* forward *clunk*.

Do you know what I'm talking about? Is that what you mean by notchy? God I hope not. Maybe it is just personal preference because I had driven Mazda's in the past and gotten used to that shifter feel, but I hated that Jetta. My wife loved it.

i get the feeling i might end up with a short shifter in the end. even if i can get the shifting to feel right with my current setup i still don't like the height of the stock shifter.

TWM SS with big type r TWM knob, TWM bushings, Jbarone counter weight, and Motocraft tranny fluid FTMFW!

Is anyone using the PG Total Shift improvement kit? (E4P STS, bushings, PG shift weight) Seems like the best bang for the buck.

Dropped the car off at Mazda.

Car was popping out of 2nd gear and having odd clunks and vibrations at higher RPM's.

Mazda found a motor mount on it's way out (not the rear, rear is AWR and in good shape with about 25,000km on it).

Car is also receiving a new primary O2 sensor as mine it toast.

I will also have them install my Mazdaspeed springs and camber kit that have been in the garage for 2 years.

Sometime this week she will also be getting a new windshield, and a couple of new tires.

Should hopefully be good for summer then!

actually have been thinking about changing the transmission fluid as well.... anyone have suggestions?

mine's going in tomorrow for an oil change, and I purchased the ford stuff...pricey but it's supposed to be awesome. I'll let you know how it is...

Back